Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Killing Civic Type R in Most European Markets

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 05:09 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The point was easy as IS350jet explained. Nothing to login and defend.

My assumption is while it is an econo car, it is using an older engine thus it no longer passes emissions there. It is odd that a Honda, who is mostly known for economy, can't pass emissions.

Sadly the way things are going with the company this won't be replaced.
Just because I said anything about Honda it's automatically defend? If that is the case would it be safe to say if you say anything about Lexus/Toyota then it's also a defend?

I just said that the comparison is not orange to orange because one is an eco-car and the other is a super car and it seem through the post that I was wrong. I admit that. If I am wrong then point it our like other members did. Geez ...
Old 08-13-10, 07:33 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The LFA meets Euro 5 emissions yet a Civic Type R can't?
LFA's engine will get on sale in 2011 and Type-R's engine is god knows how old. Its not a biggie as all manufacturers can and will bring their current engines up to Euro5 but cost/profit is the only consideration for doing so (For example 08 LS460 is rated Euro4 but 10 LS460 is Euro5 so some work has been done.)
Maybe it makes better business case for Honda to make a new engine instead of upgrading the old one who knows.

BTW Honda is not the only one, Porsche has to sell all euro allocated GT2 RSes before 2011 because they can't meet Euro5 either. Its all business strategy.

Last edited by Vladi; 08-13-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-13-10, 07:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Comparing a GT2 RS to a Civic Type-R is a night and day difference IMHO.
Old 08-13-10, 08:37 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
^^^
I like this answer. Very technical and knowledgeable. You sir really know your engines.

I try to

And Honda's automotive engine lineup is a JOKE - I've got a 20 year old 1UZ-FE V8 in a 1LS that can get BETTER highway MPG than a Honda V6! Shoot, even a Corvette can keep up with a Fit as far as highway MPG goes. You read that correct - a Corvette.
Old 08-13-10, 08:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Super tall gearing ftw!
Old 08-13-10, 09:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
Super tall gearing ftw!
Dude I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE!!!

Old 08-14-10, 10:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthach
I try to

And Honda's automotive engine lineup is a JOKE - I've got a 20 year old 1UZ-FE V8 in a 1LS that can get BETTER highway MPG than a Honda V6! Shoot, even a Corvette can keep up with a Fit as far as highway MPG goes. You read that correct - a Corvette.
Hehe

In any case, personally, I'm more bothered with their K-series. As TRDFantasy mentioned in another thread, the K-series first appeared in year 2001.

Now that I look about it. When was the last time a new iteration of the K-series was released? When was the last upgrade/revision/improvement?

Heck, I think even the J-series, which has a few flaws (like SOHC), has newer engines.......in the form:
-J30A5 (first Honda engine to introduce VCM)
-J35 engines with VCM (J35A7, J35Z1, J35Z2)
-J37 engines

For the K-series, I see none.

Btw, I'm using these as reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_K_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_J_engine

P.S.
Originally Posted by GSteg
Super tall gearing ftw!
Super tall gearing? What's that? :P

Old 08-15-10, 02:46 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Now that I look about it. When was the last time a new iteration of the K-series was released? When was the last upgrade/revision/improvement?
\
2010 CR-V got a tweaked K24 for a 20HP jump to 180-ish HP. Basically they used the Accord motor with a few mods. There are 2 K-series variants - the ones used in the RSX/Si use a more radical flavor of i-VTEC on both cams, the Accord/CR-V/Element use the economy-oriented i-VTEC with NO VTEC on the exhaust side. And Honda was nice enough to toss in active noise cancellation on the Accord EX's K24.

I'm thinking you could frankenstein an K-series engine with a K24 block and a certain K20 head.
Old 08-15-10, 04:54 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I doubt emissions are the only factor in having convinced Honda to pull the plug on this car. Low sales are most likely another, more logical aspect.

Halo versions of mainstream compacts don't sell very well in Europe to begin with. The market for such cars is extremely sparse and already dominated by the Volkswagen Golf GTI and some other European hot hatches (Ford Focus ST, Renault Twingo/Megane/Clio Sport etc.).

The impression I get is that Europeans buy Japanese cars primarily for value. Sporty Japanese hot hatches seem to be a kind of oxymoron here. Thus, a car like the Honda Civic Type-R is something nobody can find appealing here, but its normal Honda Civic sibling is.

Toyota had a sport version of the Corolla or Yaris here. It sold very poorly while its standard Corolla/Yaris stablemates sold in droves.

It also doesn't help that the Golf GTI has a type of cult status in Europe while Japanese performance cars, for all their qualities, have never made it big here.
Old 08-15-10, 09:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
I doubt emissions are the only factor in having convinced Honda to pull the plug on this car. Low sales are most likely another, more logical aspect.

Halo versions of mainstream compacts don't sell very well in Europe to begin with. The market for such cars is extremely sparse and already dominated by the Volkswagen Golf GTI and some other European hot hatches (Ford Focus ST, Renault Twingo/Megane/Clio Sport etc.).

The impression I get is that Europeans buy Japanese cars primarily for value. Sporty Japanese hot hatches seem to be a kind of oxymoron here. Thus, a car like the Honda Civic Type-R is something nobody can find appealing here, but its normal Honda Civic sibling is.

Toyota had a sport version of the Corolla or Yaris here. It sold very poorly while its standard Corolla/Yaris stablemates sold in droves.

It also doesn't help that the Golf GTI has a type of cult status in Europe while Japanese performance cars, for all their qualities, have never made it big here.
Cliffs=most Euros are badge snobs and cool Japanese cars don't sell well outside the U.K