Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Killing Civic Type R in Most European Markets

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 06:24 PM
LexFather

Post Honda Killing Civic Type R in Most European Markets

http://www.insideline.com/honda/civi...n-markets.html

Honda Killing Civic Type R in Most European Markets
Published Aug 10, 2010
Just the Facts:
Honda Civic Type R hatchback will be phased out of most European markets by year's end.
The hatchback does not meet the tough new Euro 5 emissions regulations.
Civic Type R will continue in some markets outside Europe, including Japan.

LONDON — Honda, which earlier this year announced the Civic Type R sedan would be discontinued in August, said Tuesday that its sibling, the Civic Type R hatchback, will also be phased out of most European markets by year's end, a victim of tough new Euro 5 emissions regs.

The hatchback, however, will continue in some markets outside Europe, including Japan, so Honda said the Civic Type R will remain in production for now at its U.K. plant in Swindon.

The current model, which is powered by a 198-horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine mated to a six-speed gearbox, dates to the 2006 Geneva Auto Show; the final production version debuted that fall in Paris.

Inside Line says: Enthusiasts will surely ask why Honda's engineers haven't come up with a greener solution. — Paul Lienert, Correspondent

Old 08-11-10, 06:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enthusiasts will surely ask why Honda's engineers haven't come up with a greener solution.
Exactly what I would be asking. Yet more fail from Honda . The LFA meets Euro 5 emissions yet a Civic Type R can't?
Old 08-11-10, 11:09 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The LFA meets Euro 5 emissions yet a Civic Type R can't?
Honda is very hell-bent on lean burn. Debatable for MPG, but higher combustion chamber temps almost always equals high NOx levels. Toyota was able to axe EGR with VVT-i, but Honda needs EGR still with VTEC.
Old 08-11-10, 11:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That's the problem really though, isn't it? Honda is hell-bent on a lot of things. They are very stubborn and arrogant and refuse to change their ways. Even when the market shows their solution is the wrong one, they stubbornly continue to use it.
Old 08-11-10, 11:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Why is that car so damned ugly?

Imagine all the people that had to O.K that thing.

Not just okay it they had to say "i love it -it is perfect-lets mass produce it"

Its ridiculous.

I own a 2001 honda civic si so I am not a anti honda guy--i just dont understand why they wouldnt make a sleeker-sporty-smoother-stylish car.

I just dont understand it.
Old 08-12-10, 04:55 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Exactly what I would be asking. Yet more fail from Honda . The LFA meets Euro 5 emissions yet a Civic Type R can't?
How much does the LFA cost again? And now the civic cost?
How can you even compare the two in anything is beyond me.
Old 08-12-10, 05:03 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthach
Honda is very hell-bent on lean burn. Debatable for MPG, but higher combustion chamber temps almost always equals high NOx levels. Toyota was able to axe EGR with VVT-i, but Honda needs EGR still with VTEC.
^^^
I like this answer. Very technical and knowledgeable. You sir really know your engines.

Old 08-12-10, 05:48 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wmb0000
How much does the LFA cost again? And now the civic cost?
How can you even compare the two in anything is beyond me.
He was comparing the emissions of both cars, not the price. IOW, why can a 550 HP V10 monster meet Euro 5 emissions but a little 4 banger Honda can't?
Old 08-12-10, 08:04 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350jet
He was comparing the emissions of both cars, not the price. IOW, why can a 550 HP V10 monster meet Euro 5 emissions but a little 4 banger Honda can't?
I understand but price play a huge different in engine management as well as anything about the car. This is an orange to grape comparison.
Old 08-12-10, 08:49 AM
LexFather

I understand but price play a huge different in engine management as well as anything about the car. This is an orange to grape comparison.
The point was easy as IS350jet explained. Nothing to login and defend.

My assumption is while it is an econo car, it is using an older engine thus it no longer passes emissions there. It is odd that a Honda, who is mostly known for economy, can't pass emissions.

Sadly the way things are going with the company this won't be replaced.

Old 08-12-10, 09:08 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

For this issue, it seems that the culprit is the K-series engine itself. Seriously, when will they replace it with something newer?
Old 08-12-10, 11:53 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Price has very little to do with it. Do you understand how engines work, and specifically the differences between various engines?

BMW's V10 in the M5 cannot meet Euro 5 emissions. Even the V10 in the Porsche Carrera GT wouldn't meet Euro 5 emissions, if it was still on sale. The 5.2L Audi/Lamborghini V10 however does meet Euro 5 emissions. What was that again you were saying about price?
Old 08-12-10, 03:04 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The point was easy as IS350jet explained. Nothing to login and defend.

My assumption is while it is an econo car, it is using an older engine thus it no longer passes emissions there. It is odd that a Honda, who is mostly known for economy, can't pass emissions.

Sadly the way things are going with the company this won't be replaced.
FWIW, Toyota's VVTL-i 1.8L can't meet the Euro 5 standard either so Lotus has to retire it at the end of this year.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/21/l...ise-and-exige/
Old 08-12-10, 04:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, and the 1.8L Toyota VVTL-i engine is really old; it's been available since 1999.

The K-Series debuted 2 years later in 2001, and since then Honda has made changes and updated the K-Series. The Toyota 1.8L VVTL-i had very few updates.
Old 08-12-10, 06:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mister Two
FWIW, Toyota's VVTL-i 1.8L can't meet the Euro 5 standard either so Lotus has to retire it at the end of this year.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/21/l...ise-and-exige/
I'm not sure but it seems its only the supercharged models, not the N/A ones. As TRD stated it also is an older design and not surprised it or the Honda can't pass it anymore.

2010 also marks the retirement of the current generation supercharged Elise and Exige for the European market because the Toyota four-cylinder engines no longer meet Euro 5 emissions standards. To mark the passing of these models

Quick Reply: Honda Killing Civic Type R in Most European Markets