Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TSX, 3rd Gen LS430, 2nd Gen GS, 3rd Gen ES or 4th Gen ES?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 09:22 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Acura TSX, 3rd Gen LS430, 2nd Gen GS, 3rd Gen ES or 4th Gen ES?

Hey guys,
I am starting to think about getting a new to me car as my DD. I listed the cars I am currently have in mind/caught my attention. I will be replacing a E39/1998 BMW 528i I6 auto going on 176k miles. I like the BMW and I thought about doing a major tune up on the car and doing some small mods to it but keeping it look stock BUT... I know later down the road I will be having kids (next 5 years) and it doesn't have any little bastard restraints. (Safety hooks for the car seats)

The first car that jumped to mind was the TSX being similar to my GF's/soon to be wife's accord, good MPG's, small enough to be fun, and simple to work on. The down side is if I were to have a car seat and 2/3 passengers in it, it would be a tight fit. That is pushing me away because I do go on long trips a few times a month. 2-5 hour trips one way and having someone cramped in the back seat would be annoying.

Size wise the BMW is similar to the GS's and the ES that I am looking for. I want to say that these models are a little bigger then the BMW. MPG's wont be a drastic change and so on... but I am not 100% sold on the idea that it will be similar to the BMW...

The LS would be a great car being that they are bigger and roomier for the long trips. I just wonder how they hold up in the city? is the torque there to pull the cars weight around?

Any input would be appreciated. Once again the only mods done to any of these might be audio system and maybe wheels. I don't have any major plans to doing a Turbo/supercharger or something fun to the car.
Old 08-12-10, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to me, ls430 no doubt, don't even have to think about it. the car has plenty of tq, that car goes pretty darn fast and smooth! and if you are thinking about kids, you most definitely want more space!!!
Old 08-12-10, 11:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3rd gen ES is comfy, gas efficient, smooth, reliable, easy to maintain, inexpensive to insure, and classically Lexus.

V8s are too indulgent for DDs. Although the size of the LS430 is great for weekend trips and such, it may be too much car for a DD.
Old 08-12-10, 12:22 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

id consider the 3rd/4th gen es first. but first off, congrats on the future wedding. the ls would be roomy and luxurious enough for the two of you and any kids you guys would want in the near future. makes for a good dd and for those long trips. as philipMSPT said, it is gas efficient, easily maintabale, and it wont be expensive to insure. id consider the ls next, although a v8 as a dd might become too gas consuming, especially if the ride to and from work is somewhat long and filled with traffic, as much of so cal is. best of luck to you and your bride to be!
Old 08-12-10, 03:06 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
to me, ls430 no doubt, don't even have to think about it. the car has plenty of tq, that car goes pretty darn fast and smooth! and if you are thinking about kids, you most definitely want more space!!!
I agree with Henry

If you have 2 car seat with the wifey sitting in the back, she'll appreciate it

V8 is more than enough in the city.

It is the ultimate cruiser for long trips too

Plus, the trunk is huuuge, perfect for the double stroller.

If you want pictures, I can take one for you.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
3rd gen ES is comfy, gas efficient, smooth, reliable, easy to maintain, inexpensive to insure, and classically Lexus.

V8s are too indulgent for DDs. Although the size of the LS430 is great for weekend trips and such, it may be too much car for a DD.
I disagree with you Phil on the V8.
The V8 is very efficient for a huge car like this.

No comment on ES except that the rear room is pretty roomy also.
Old 08-12-10, 03:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Exactly my thoughts. LS430 is an amazing machine.
Old 08-12-10, 06:46 PM
LexFather

Yeah the LS 430 is really on another level here. Biggest interior, largest trunk, smoothest ride, safest car and will cost the most to run.

I never thought I'd be that guy to say this but have you checked out the RX?

Old 08-12-10, 07:51 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I haven't looked at the the RX or any SUV's. Back in the day I liked the Acura MDX but, I grew out of it. I guess the SUV faze was out the window pretty fast.
Old 08-13-10, 11:05 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 4G ES seems like a good compromise. It's fairly roomy, decently fuel efficient and a roomy trunk and still has the luxury features if you'd expect.

If you don't mind "splurging" for a V8 as a DD, the LS is a wonderful vehicle that will serve you, your wife-to-be and future kids very well. It'll make those 2-5 hour trips go by in a hurry.

Last edited by Nextourer; 08-13-10 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-13-10, 11:20 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3rd gen LS without thinking twice
Old 08-13-10, 11:23 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The 3-LS is a nice car though as a kiddie mobile, I would suggest like Sick did, have a look at the RX. The higher roof line is a bit easier for accessing car seats, the rear hatch is conductive to such use for strollers and...
Old 08-13-10, 11:35 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Having both a 3ES and 4ES I think I can offer you some valid input. Consider the 4ES. I love my 3ES but it is lacking features that my fathers 4ES has that I think you would either really appreciate or even require. Notably,

- The main downside in regards to having other passengers with the 3ES is the lack of headroom in the rear. I'm 6' 0" and I have to slouch, the 4ES has much more headroom.
- Legroom in the rear is a bit more too
- Rear air vents are only present in the 4ES
- Navigation
- HID's are generally more available in the 4ES
- Personally I think the seats are cushier in the 4ES
- Dual climate

Look at the '05 and '06 ES330's. They had the bigger engine, nicer rims, projectors, newer nav, ventilated seats, and steering wheel controls. You ought to be able to pick one up with less than 60k for around $17k or less.