Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Obesity impacts safety and fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 03:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Obesity impacts safety and fuel economy

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...-economy-.html

Obesity has caused more people to buy larger vehicles, which increases gasoline consumption in the U.S. and fuel consumption increases with more weight in cars either from people or cargo.

<snip>

One other result of the obesity problem is the increase risk of crashes as noted in a recent study and that is also due to the fact that obese drivers are less likely to buckle up because seat belts may not fit properly.

With the compounding factors, it is clear that the growing obesity issue is larger than once thought. So, what is the solution?
Old 08-12-10, 03:28 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

but then once in awhile, you hear an obese person survive a major car crash due to the extra "cushion"..........true story actually.
Old 08-12-10, 04:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

too bad accident rates and deaths have been falling for years, despite us getting more obese and more minutes talked on cell phones
Old 08-12-10, 04:52 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know about accident rates, but deaths have been falling.
Old 08-12-10, 05:09 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

go on a diet.
lose weight, gain self respect, live longer, and save $...... sadly, even this isn't enough for people to make a life style change.
Old 08-12-10, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Obesity has caused more people to buy larger vehicles,
While respecting the author's opinion, I don't agree with that line. That was once true, decades ago, when small cars were mostly RWD, cramped, uncomfortable, noisy, and inefficient with interior space utilization, but not today. Today, even large or obese persons can often be just as comfortable in many smaller cars as they are in larger ones. And, because of vehicle downsizing and the general firming of tires/suspensions in many larger cars, the difference in ride comfort between compacts/subcompacts and larger models is not as wide as it used to be. And you should see how many larger guys run around in small Miatas........it is not just a so-called "Chick" car like the auto press makes it out to be.

One part of it, though, IS true. As the Baby Boomer Generation (yes, people my age) have been getting weaker backs/knees/hips, there has been a tendency to get vehicles that sit somewhat higher off the ground and make entry/exit easier. That was one factor, out of many, that made me choose an Outback. People in their 50s and 60s generally don't have the physical flexibility to repeatedly contort or push themselves in and out of low-slung sports cars like a Bachman Pretzel.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-10 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 08:55 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^ Absolutely! My wife and I have achieved the age at which we are no longer able to drop our butts to our ankles and slither into many conventional coupes and sedans with ease, thus we are pretty well limited to SUV's, minivans, and pickups that have a seat height that is considerably higher. It also helps to have a eye-line that is well above the ground, enabling us to see over and around most traffic more easily.

The rooflines of many conventional automobiles are getting lower, and owning a moonroof is almost out of the question unless you want to adopt a low-rider driving position. My '95 Civic was just at the borderline of acceptable seating - I could adjust the driver's seat to achieve a position where my head rode in the pocket of the moonroof, but hit one good bump, and I'd grow an impressive knot on my head for the experience.
Old 08-12-10, 08:59 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah. obese people survive accidents.

then the clogged arteries kill them later
Old 08-12-10, 10:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I see a lot og obese people but rarely do I see people who are so big that they probably cant use a seat belt. I think this is more hypothesis than actual fact

where is this info from. Heads up that the mods might want the address posted at the top. At least thats what they yell at me when I dont put it in.
Old 08-13-10, 10:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
yeah. obese people survive accidents.

then the clogged arteries kill them later
ok now that made me LOL
Old 08-17-10, 01:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a real killer in more ways than one. But sometimes I do worry more about the jetliner getting off the ground when I see all the chubby people inside.