Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another life gone to waste because of speeding

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 06:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Sad...no second chance for him. Back in my days, I recall many of my classmates crashing their first car within the first month. Some got totaled and others didn't get a replacement. Thus they were presented the lesson on how to be a bit more responsible when driving.

Thankfully no body else got caught up and injured as a result of his reckless attempt.
Old 08-12-10, 07:00 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I don't know about the rest of you saints on here, but I drove like a madman when I was 16.

When my kids turn 16, they will be getting a low powered, RWD, 4 cylinder car - the right type of car to push to its limits.
I never had a car until I was 18
Old 08-12-10, 07:16 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess what bothers me the most is that the kid was out at almost 1am, is underage (no curfew?) and is eluding police. But I can't really place blame on him. He's a teenager with temptation handed to him in a powerful car, and no supervision.

Where are the parents here?

First of all, my kid would never be out at that time. Second of all, he has respect for the law and would stop in a heartbeat if any administrator of the law had the lights on behind him. Third of all, he would respect the vehicle.

So who really is to blame?
Old 08-12-10, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think its speed that killed him, it was a mix of factors. Am I reading this wrong but was he ELUDING police? So its not speed, it wasn't just driving 130MPH straight and he died from speeding.
Can't get around the laws of physics. An impact at 120-130 MPH is over four times as severe as one at 55-60. Impact force generally increases at the square of the speed increase.

From the way he was ejected, it also sounds like he may not have been wearing his belt properly either. Can't expect the air bag itself to work miracles.

16 years old, fast car, inexperience, eluding police is a mix for a sad ending.
All the experience in the world can't lessen the impact force at that speed. You hit something under those conditions, there are going to be some brutal results.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 07:25 PM
LexFather

I agree Mike but speeding does not kill. That is what people are fed to believe. This guy did not just die from speeding, he was young, he was eluding police.

Old 08-12-10, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Lang said Day was “just a good kid"
I admit I didn't know the kid myself, but this sounds to me like B.S.

"Good" kids don't act this irresponsibly. I was in high-school, a car guy, and a teen myself, and know the temptations kids often face. But there is such a thing as knowing where to draw the line...fortunately, I knew that.
Old 08-12-10, 07:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Agree..."good kids" have been guided by their parents to respect the laws. There are those rebellious ones though. As a licensed driver, he was well aware that when the red-blue lights flash behind you, one is to pull to the right and stop. All those police chase programs fell on blind eyes...one often sees what happens as a result.

One consistently hears "he was a good kid, did well in school, got along with others..." Sad they and some like them have been known to go into a fit of rage gunning people down and then the truth comes out how they had disturbed or other psychological issues behind closed doors.

Sad though.

Had three high school classmates die related to excessive speed.
Old 08-12-10, 08:28 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I admit I didn't know the kid myself, but this sounds to me like B.S.

"Good" kids don't act this irresponsibly. I was in high-school, a car guy, and a teen myself, and know the temptations kids often face. But there is such a thing as knowing where to draw the line...fortunately, I knew that.
yeah i was just thinking his apparent action didn't seem to jibe with report of him as a good kid, did well in school and all that.

anyway i'm just glad he didn't get someone else killed because of his stupid and irresponsible actions.
Old 08-12-10, 08:42 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

after reading this piece, i feel very sad for the family. losing a son who was just embarking on a new chapter in his life is not going to be an easy thing to deal with for a long time. mom and dad wont get to see his date for prom, wont get to see him accept his diploma on stage, wont get to tour colleges and see their son off, and so forth. this is very unfortunate, and though he was quite irresponsible....i cant say i'd wish this upon anyone. saying he got what he deserved is uncalled for, considering he paid with his life. my regards to the family, and may this kid rest in peace.
Old 08-12-10, 09:04 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Give him the Darwin Award.

his brakes didn't fail. he should have just pulled over.

these days, "good student" means C+, which means 'not intelligent enough to drive'.

I hope his parents don't sue toyota for unintended acceleration.

Last edited by dunnojack; 08-12-10 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 09:22 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

At 16 I had a car but I was never allowed out at 12am I guess his parents thought he was responsible but he wasn't smh it is a shame though.
Old 08-12-10, 10:18 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Very poor judgement on his part for going that fast at that age with that little experience, and endangering the other drivers, officers and emergency response workers. On one hand I love cars and going fast, but on the other I have respect for speed limits because I do believe that speeding at least in part results in higher fatalities on the road. But nobody deserves to die because of a poor decision like speeding, especially a young kid like him, somewhat disappointing the posts in this thread.

I agree, no kid needs a car like that when they're just learning how to drive. I learned in our now deceased '96 Chevy Blazer which for all intensive purposes topped out at 70mph. I learned to take corners slow because of how top heavy it was, to slow down ahead of time because of the drum brakes, and to drive at a reasonable highway speed because of the fuel consumption. With a GS4 correct me if I'm wrong but it grips the ground tight, stops nearly on a dime and isn't eating gas at 14 mpg. Of course after driving for a few months I got my Cadillac at 16 which has nearly 300 ft lbs of Torque

Pray for his family
Old 08-12-10, 10:49 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While what happened is sad for this young man's friends and family, where were they when it came time to teach him how to behave behind the wheel?

I'm far from a saint, and I'm sure we've all driven outside of our abilities or the conditions once in a while, but driving well over 100 MPH, ignoring the police, and refusing to take anyone else' safety into consideration are signs that he was never taught how to handle himself behind the wheel.

Stepping on a limb, but based on the comments in the article I highly doubt that anyone ever told this kid that he wasn't invincible. The constant encouragement and being told you're great and that others should look up to you for your athletic ability many times leads to exactly what happened - someone who feels they can do no wrong and tries to impress everyone with their ability, be it perceived or actual. I've seen it happen many times, sometimes with tragic results like this.

I hope that his classmates learn from his mistake and understand that they are not guaranteed a tomorrow - nor are any of us.

Big Mack
Old 08-12-10, 11:14 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Dang... GS4 can easily spread the distance from a cop car?? hmmm interesting.

seriously... why run from a cop.. sure he clocked you at 130... better to go to jail or juvi than be dead on the side of the road.
Old 08-12-10, 11:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The report almost sounds fake. How can he be such a wonderful kid if he was refusing to pull over from the police?! This is no better than the garbage we see on COPS every Saturday night.

But the first error occured with the parents for allowing him to drive a powerful sedan. It's a recipe for disaster, as proven over and over. Too much power, too much temptation, and too little experience. Now they have to live with their decision. That's going to be the hardest part.

Quick Reply: Another life gone to waste because of speeding