Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Tiguan-based Audi Q3 peeped through a window

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 09:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Spy Shots: Tiguan-based Audi Q3 peeped through a window

Spy Shots: Tiguan-based Audi Q3 peeped through a window

Our Peeping Tom spy photographers normally catch prototypes while they're out and about on the street, but sometimes they catch a peek inside automakers' development studios from the street, snagging shots of test mules before their tires even touch the ground. This is one such case, and though these photos aren't clear as day, it's no secret that Audi's new Q3 crossover, based on the Volkswagen Tiguan, is what's being prepped behind closed doors (but not behind closed blinds).

We've known that Audi would be creating a CUV smaller than the Q5 for quite some time now, and while the baby soft-roader relies heavily on Tiguan underpinnings, we're sure that the quad-rung crossover will be much more shapely. Here, we see the sloping roofline and more rakish hatch, giving the Q3 a sportier stance than its VW-badged kin. Set to compete head-on with the BMW X1, the Q3 should make its debut sometime in 2011 with the first production models hitting dealers later that year. Take a close look at these spy shots for yourself in the gallery below.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/spy-s...di-q3/#3256068

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/12/s...ough-a-window/
Old 08-12-10, 10:04 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait for the Audi Q1 that will compete with BMW's X0 . All these niche models are getting out of hand IMO.
Old 08-12-10, 10:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I can't wait for the Audi Q1 that will compete with BMW's X0 . All these niche models are getting out of hand IMO.
I was just thinking the same thing. So many models that IMO overlap. Little distinction between them, essentially the same powertrains features etc... All just to be "unique"? I have to wonder if they have it in there minds to cater to every segment. BMW Minivan and HD Pickup soon?
Old 08-12-10, 10:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

In Audi's case, we will see overlap between different Audi models and VW models as well. I mean this Q3 is based off a Tiguan, probably will look similar to a Tiguan, and likely will look similar to a Q5 as well. BMW at least doesn't have this problem.
Old 08-12-10, 11:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I thought the Q5 was based off the Tiguan. (?)
Old 08-13-10, 08:58 AM
LexFather

Wait a cuter cute ute than the Q5? Wha?

Old 08-13-10, 07:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I thought the Q5 was based off the Tiguan. (?)
It is, but it seems so is this. Seems like most Audi SUVs will be based on the Tiguan, while most Audi sedans are based on each other and all look like each other.
Old 08-13-10, 07:57 PM
Benwilliam
Driver School Candidate

It is, but it seems so is this. Seems like most Audi SUVs will be based on the Tiguan, while most Audi sedans are based on each other and all look like each other.
I am almost certain this is incorrect. The Audi A4 and Audi Q5 are the same platform. The Tiguan is riding on the Golf chassis. That would fit right in, given the Audi A3 is a Golf, so fitting the Q3 would be one as well. The A6 and A8 are their own dedicated platforms as well? They may look similar, but BMW and Mercedes-Benz are following the same formula.
Old 08-13-10, 08:36 PM
LexFather

I do believe the Q5 is not Tiguan based but this Q3 will be.

Old 08-13-10, 09:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

What good is it putting out this report without stating the Q5 is already based on the Tiguan? Wouldn't it have been important to say, "this will be the second Audi SUV based on the Tiguan? They are talking like this is the first time Audi is using this VW platform. Very poor reporting.
Old 08-14-10, 12:13 PM
LexFather

What good is it putting out this report without stating the Q5 is already based on the Tiguan? Wouldn't it have been important to say, "this will be the second Audi SUV based on the Tiguan? They are talking like this is the first time Audi is using this VW platform. Very poor reporting.
Its Euro so its okay to not tell the truth about platform sharing and if they did it doesn't matter. However if it was a sub RX car based on the Rav-4 the article would mention it 50 times.

Old 08-14-10, 01:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly, it's the old European brand bias, so they rarely mention this.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I do believe the Q5 is not Tiguan based but this Q3 will be.
I did double-check and you're right, at least the Q5 is not based on the Tiguan. The Q5 shares its platform with the A4, A5, and surprisingly the A8. Shame that the A8 shares its platform with such downmarket vehicles. The Q5 does not share its platform with Q7. The Q7 shares its platform only with the Touareg and Cayenne. The actually makes the Q7's platform more exclusive than the A8's platform .

This Q3 will definitely be Tiguan-based though. This platform is shared greatly by models such as the A3, Rabbit, Golf, and Passat.
Old 08-14-10, 02:22 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I was just thinking the same thing. So many models that IMO overlap. Little distinction between them, essentially the same powertrains features etc... All just to be "unique"? I have to wonder if they have it in there minds to cater to every segment. BMW Minivan and HD Pickup soon?
This all started with the platform sharing years ago, so manufactures could easily swap the line from one car to another more popular car, so even with all these overlapping models, it's all pretty much the same car considering the only major difference is the exterior and interiors
Old 08-14-10, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree the info is vague, but I hope you're not blaming the poster (Hoovey2411). He did us a favor....and posted what he could find. (Thanks, Hoovey)

I'll say it before, and I'll say it again......BLAME THE MANUFACTURERS. They are the ones who are notoriously tight-lipped about their future products, and who play silly cat-and-mouse games wrapping their prototypes up in bras, tape, body masking, etc....

I may go take a look at this vehicle myself when it is introduced.....it looks like maybe (?) a good AWD competitor to some Subarus. The VW Tiguan, however, on which it (appears) to be based, has had a poor reliabilty record...one of the lowest in Consumer Reports' database.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-14-10 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-14-10, 11:00 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree the info is vague, but I hope you're not blaming the poster (Hoovey2411). He did us a favor....and posted what he could find. (Thanks, Hoovey)

I'll say it before, and I'll say it again......BLAME THE MANUFACTURERS. They are the ones who are notoriously tight-lipped about their future products, and who play silly cat-and-mouse games wrapping their prototypes up in bras, tape, body masking, etc....

I may go take a look at this vehicle myself when it is introduced.....it looks like maybe (?) a good AWD competitor to some Subarus. The VW Tiguan, however, on which it (appears) to be based, has had a poor reliabilty record...one of the lowest in Consumer Reports' database.
Oh no, I meant I was disappointed with the Autoblog article. Relaying the message here was awesome! =)

FWIW, I see no problem with sharing platforms. Makes no difference to me when I sit in the vehicle and drive it. Assuming it's a good platform of course.

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: Tiguan-based Audi Q3 peeped through a window