Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I think maintenance will be included with all Lexus cars in 1 or 2 years.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 10:34 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Have had my IS350 since August 2006 and other than oil/filter changes at $50 each, and the various recalls, I haven't had any further charges. It has less than 20,000 miles on it but I haven't experienced any problems with it. If you don't fiddle with the car modding it it is very reliable.
20k miles in four years? I envy your mileage requirements Mine will be somewhere between 3 to 4 times that over a four year period if history repeats. 15k per year at the current rate.
Old 08-14-10, 06:35 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
Building it into the price of the car means the customer will come to them for service, point blank. Why go to Jiffy Lube for a $25 oil change when you've already paid for a free one from the Lexus dealer? Ok, ultimately Lexus will probably charge a lot more than $25, but the problem is currently they charge $190 which is over-the-top. Bring that down to something like $50, and roll it into the total cost of the car and they have a winner.
If your local Lexus dealer is charging you $190 for an oil/filter change he is charging you over the market rate, which means all his service is probably overpriced. Does he have any competition, Lexus wise? I take my car to Lexus of Austin (the only Lexus dealer in Austin) and their rate is $50 for an oil/filter change, which seems about right as a JiffyLube type place charges about $40. I'd rather pay for what I need rather them charging for a plan to automatically cover these things. You will get overcharged this way and the dealer will be inundated by those wanting to get free maintenance. It's like medical care, as long it is free people will over use it. Keep it the way it is.

If I was being charged $200 with tax for this service I'd be doing it myself, but for $50 I let them do it.
Old 08-14-10, 07:06 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
If your local Lexus dealer is charging you $190 for an oil/filter change he is charging you over the market rate, which means all his service is probably overpriced. Does he have any competition, Lexus wise?
My car is new (under 2k miles, and the 5k service is free) so I have not yet learned what my local fee will be for the oil change at each 5k miles. I got the $200 number from other posts elsewhere in these forums that indicated they were charging $190 or so for each 5k maintenance interval, and a lot more for the ones where they actually do more than an oil/filter change (each 15 or 30k I think).

I assumed since my dealer was offering me pre-paid maintenance up to 48k miles for $1,700, and that number was supposedly discounted 30% from regular cost, that the outlandish 5k mile estimates were about right. I need to do a search to see if there's a thread where folks have itemized their maintenance costs on the IS over 5 years, it will be interesting to see what each local dealer charges for this.

In your case, since you are hitting your oil-change interval in months way before you hit it in miles, your cost for a basic oil change from a dealer may be different. What did they charge you at each 5k interval? That's really just an oilchange, with a a few more things checked at 15k. The cost of driving only 5,000 miles a year like you do is going to be really low no matter what.
Old 08-14-10, 07:24 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Assuming your response was to me (correct me if wrong)... I'm not saying the dealers want built-in free maintenance, I was just saying they will ultimately benefit from it whether they realize it or not.

The way it is now, anyone with a brain is probably going to figure out that they can either get oil changes cheaper elsewhere or just do it themselves, and take it in for major service every year or two.
Except that most people are stupid. See all the folks paying $190 for their 10k service for example when it's just an oil change.

That's how the Lexus dealer affords the free pastries and the nice waiting area.

Right now, a lot of people who don't know any better still overpay their dealer for service, regularly.

If it was all "included" then 0% of them would be doing that. And Lexus corporate sure wouldn't be reimbursing the dealer $190 for an oil change because they aren't stupid.

That's a total loss from the dealers perspective.
Old 08-14-10, 09:07 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

I was under the impression even each 5k service was $190?

One service the dealer offers is a loaner for pretty much anything that takes over 2 hours, to me that's worth a lot, so I don't have a problem going to them for the major services. I might even go to them for the oil changes if its only 50 bucks.
Old 08-14-10, 11:21 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Part of why I said this is because VW and Volvo are including maintenance. I don't see these brands as much competition to Lexus but if the rest of the imported industry is doing it I think Lexus will start to help maintain their position in the market. Very interesting to see people's responses. My dealer charges $50 for an oil change so I always go there. Besides when a dealer sees a solid service record I think if a problem arrises they will be more likely to assist you due to loyalty.
Old 08-14-10, 08:19 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$200 oil changes simply WILL NOT FLY Lexus, unless you've got a backroom with massages and happy endings during the service.
LOL, let me know when you find one that does...

I honestly do not think they will offer free maintenance, and if they do, the cost of these cars will be higher to cover them. Like someone said before, there are no free lunches. I take my car to a trustworthy mechanic, he uses all lexus parts for these maintenances and charges me a fraction of what I would pay at Lexus...
Old 08-14-10, 08:25 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

maintenance included is a joke kinda cause my friend has a bimmer and they dont do anythang till the dealer think they need to like oil change at 15k they told him he could make it to 20k. it not like you drive 5k and you want a oil change and fluid they say it lifetime so no changing there. so really your paying the extra for nothang is how i see it. it good if you drive it alot but then again after 50k your done.
Old 08-14-10, 10:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
maintenance included is a joke kinda cause my friend has a bimmer and they dont do anythang till the dealer think they need to like oil change at 15k they told him he could make it to 20k. it not like you drive 5k and you want a oil change and fluid they say it lifetime so no changing there. so really your paying the extra for nothang is how i see it. it good if you drive it alot but then again after 50k your done.
That's a good point. Many manufacturers skimp out elsewhere when adding in free servicing. VW is king of this, leading the industry with one of the shortest factory warranties. And what you said about long oil change intervals often coincides with a manufacturer adding in free service. They are smart- or sneaky.
Old 08-15-10, 05:26 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Funnily enough Lexus in the UK is currently offering your first three services (i.e 10k, 20k and 30k miles) complimentary on the IS as part of their 20 year celebrations. I can see it continuing longer to compete with BMW's servicing packages.
Old 08-15-10, 05:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It better be more than two years.I have two years free maintenance on my Camry and it's really only two oil changes,tire rotations and maybe wiper refills.
Old 08-15-10, 08:17 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Bottom line is they will never give money away. Its all perceived value. Its kind of like when you get a coupon for something they already give for free or charge very little for
Old 08-15-10, 09:44 AM
testmetest
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is very bad idea. Let's say Lexus raises the cost of a $60,000 car to $62,000 to cover the cost. Then people who live in Hicktown, USA will then have these options:

1. Pay $62,000 to the only dealer in town who doesn't negotiate good prices.

2. Buy it for $60,000 100 miles away from a dealer who is willing to negotiate... But then pay the local dealer for maintenance. There will be a LOT of people paying more.

Currently, people have the choice for the best of both worlds. They can negotiate with a dealer 100 miles away for a great price, say $58,000... And pay the local dealer for maintenance.

That's what I did.
Old 08-15-10, 09:53 AM
LexFather

I can see Lexus adding it if they feel that consumer confidence in their product is still lagging and they need to add it to keep buyers happy and interested in the brand. There is no doubt the past year has hit Lexus in regards to quality reputation due to all the recalls, real or perceived.

I've seen ads for the HS including free maintenance as a sales incentive.

Audi used to offer it but dropped it (Did Benz too?)

BMW is a leasing company. 60% are leased. So couple that with a free maintenance program and you have people that want the luxury brand but don't want any commitment. You literally make your payments, get free oil changes, and leave after 3 years. Pretty easy if you hate cars (The irony).

Old 08-15-10, 02:07 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW is a leasing company. 60% are leased. So couple that with a free maintenance program and you have people that want the luxury brand but don't want any commitment. You literally make your payments, get free oil changes, and leave after 3 years. Pretty easy if you hate cars (The irony).
This is a pretty broad generalization that I wouldn't agree with Mike. While I certainly believe that there are many buyers that go this route for the reasons you suggest with BMW, there are other reasons to lease as well. (We bought our X5 fwiw).

Many luxury buyers want to be in the latest and greatest instead of hanging on to cars for an extended period of time. Short term leases accommodate this. Being able to write them off as a business expense is an added bonus.

As previously mentioned, there is nothing from BMW that is free. The "included" maintenance is simply rolled into the purchase price that is all.

Quick Reply: I think maintenance will be included with all Lexus cars in 1 or 2 years.