Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I think maintenance will be included with all Lexus cars in 1 or 2 years.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 03:51 PM
ssigs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can see Lexus adding it if they feel that consumer confidence in their product is still lagging and they need to add it to keep buyers happy and interested in the brand. There is no doubt the past year has hit Lexus in regards to quality reputation due to all the recalls, real or perceived.

I've seen ads for the HS including free maintenance as a sales incentive.

Audi used to offer it but dropped it (Did Benz too?)

BMW is a leasing company. 60% are leased. So couple that with a free maintenance program and you have people that want the luxury brand but don't want any commitment. You literally make your payments, get free oil changes, and leave after 3 years. Pretty easy if you hate cars (The irony).
I have always heard BMW does it so when the 3 year lease is up they know the cars have been well maimtained and provide a large pool of CPO's for more profit.
Old 08-15-10, 04:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
This is a pretty broad generalization that I wouldn't agree with Mike. While I certainly believe that there are many buyers that go this route for the reasons you suggest with BMW, there are other reasons to lease as well. (We bought our X5 fwiw).

Many luxury buyers want to be in the latest and greatest instead of hanging on to cars for an extended period of time. Short term leases accommodate this. Being able to write them off as a business expense is an added bonus.

As previously mentioned, there is nothing from BMW that is free. The "included" maintenance is simply rolled into the purchase price that is all.
I agree with you. People might lease for business reasons. They might want the latest or greatest every 2-3 years. The facts we have seen are 30% or Lexus are leased and over 60% of BMW are leased. Over 75% of Z4 and 7 series are leased. Considering they have free maintenance if you don't want any hassle of car ownership then a BMW is for you. Its a no brainer with a lot of people. Just pay for it monthly, take it in for your oil changes and maybe brake pads, turn it in. No commitment.

Since Lexus are mostly bought, people seemingly don't mind the maintenance. Lexus maintenance isn't even a bargain to me, especially if you take it ever 5k or 10k for services. However it seems people are willing to do it, dealers please these people and dealers keep a healthy profit, thus wanting to continue to please people (of course there are some horrid Lexus dealers).

I'm rambling

Old 08-15-10, 04:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lexus is just a few thousand cheaper than bmw.

if lexus hikes the price to include "free" maintenance, more people will just buy bmw and mercedes.
Old 08-15-10, 06:25 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
lexus is just a few thousand cheaper than bmw.

if lexus hikes the price to include "free" maintenance, more people will just buy bmw and mercedes.
Some folks like reliability.

I could have just as easily afforded a 3-series, and seriously considered it, but bought a Lexus purely out of choice.

Among some crowds at least, Lexus/Acura/Infiniti get just as much respect as BMW/Benz/Audi. Baby boomers and older might see things differently because of the allure German cars had in the 80's.
Old 08-15-10, 06:32 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree with you. People might lease for business reasons. They might want the latest or greatest every 2-3 years. The facts we have seen are 30% or Lexus are leased and over 60% of BMW are leased.
I've always thought that the only way leasing is not a financially bad move is if the person is 100% sure they are going to use the allocated # of miles on the button. Go over and the dealer gets the better of you. Go under and the dealer gets the better of you. Only if the miles are very close to exact will you come out as you expected to (i.e. about the same as if you bought).

I'm not doubting your stats at all about Lexus vs BMW ownership or leasing, I'm just not sure why brand would make a difference. Unless buyers of one brand understand the logistics of what I discussed above more than buyers of another brand. If that's the case it would likely mean those who understood the odds would tend to be buyers rather than leasers (so that means any brand with a higher ownership to lease ratio has either smarter or at least a more conscientious car shopper demographic).
Old 08-16-10, 01:08 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dunkin1222
BMW's isn't free either. Wife bought a 328i bout 6 months ago, roughly $2100 increase on invoice for so called "free" maintenance on her car
Explain? This does not make sense what so ever.
Old 08-17-10, 01:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i doubt this would happen with lexus, and personally i am not sure if it's a good thing for lexus
Old 08-17-10, 02:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, I doubt it will happen at Lexus. Lexus has challenges that are best addressed by dealing with root causes.

Mercedes dropped it about 5 years ago, no problem.