Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I think maintenance will be included with all Lexus cars in 1 or 2 years.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10 | 12:39 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Default I think maintenance will be included with all Lexus cars in 1 or 2 years.

I don't have inside connections but I think scheduled maintenance will be included with all Lexus cars starting in 2011 or 2012.

Agree?
Disagree?
Old 08-13-10 | 12:43 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Disagree, unless you want to see list price goes higher. there is no free lunch.
Old 08-13-10 | 01:21 PM
BullDog48
Driver School Candidate

For BMW's program, 4 years free maintenace, it would cost around $2k on a Lexus. So either Lexus is going to increase the cost of each car your they need to decide which standard features to no longer include as standard.

This isn't going to happen unless there is very string evidence that Lexus is losing sales to BMW because of BMW's maintenace program.
Old 08-13-10 | 01:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

I doubt it, but many SoCal Toyota and Lexus dealers are offering free maintenance for the first 2 years if you buy from them. There might be some secret incentive between the manufacturer and dealers right now.
Old 08-13-10 | 01:48 PM
MothIS
Lead Lap

One of the Toyota dealer in long beach was offering free oil change as long u own the car/ truck but that's was about a month or two ago
Old 08-13-10 | 01:48 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Highly unlikely.
Old 08-13-10 | 02:05 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

I doubt it... when I bought my car, it was basically the last 2 on the lot. The sales person just sold one 10 minutes before me. Sales for Lexus is going well compared to BMW which was empty. I was the only customer there (at BMW) and they hella neglected me.

There's no reason for Lexus to throw in freebies when they are selling better than the competition.
Old 08-13-10 | 02:13 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

I agree it will probably happen, but they will try to just lump the cost into the sales price.

It will be a good thing for the consumer, because the market will reject the overly inflated cost of multiple $200 oil changes, balancing down the total OTD price to something that makes more sense. It will be a good thing for the dealer, because it will keep the cars coming in their doors for service instead of JiffyLube or whatever, so they will have more service business, the cars will have less issues to deal with during warranty period due to whatever some other hack shop did to the car, and the reliability of the car will be even better, winning back confidence in Lexus reliability that might have been shed over the last year, ultimately resulting in more sales.

They are going to have to do better than the current cost of service. When I bought my car, they waited until I was in the the finance room to try to sell me pre-paid service for something like $1,700 (and only up to 48k miles I think). I just laughed and asked that they didn't bother with upsale techniques because I made up my mind the amount I was going to pay as soon as I made the deal with the salesguy.

$200 oil changes simply WILL NOT FLY Lexus, unless you've got a backroom with massages and happy endings during the service.
Old 08-13-10 | 03:49 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

These cars require maintanence?
Old 08-13-10 | 05:13 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Eh I'd rather do everything myself.
Old 08-13-10 | 06:17 PM
Dunkin1222
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BullDog48
For BMW's program, 4 years free maintenace, it would cost around $2k on a Lexus. So either Lexus is going to increase the cost of each car your they need to decide which standard features to no longer include as standard.

This isn't going to happen unless there is very string evidence that Lexus is losing sales to BMW because of BMW's maintenace program.
BMW's isn't free either. Wife bought a 328i bout 6 months ago, roughly $2100 increase on invoice for so called "free" maintenance on her car
Old 08-13-10 | 06:19 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

I think you're wrong. The dealers don't want to get low balled by the manufacturer on their true gravy train...unnecessary, over-priced service. I think the trend is to lengthen the service intervals to minimize the covered service.
Old 08-13-10 | 08:07 PM
Hoovey689

Maybe. Only a handful do it at the moment ie BMW, Jaguar and Volvo off the top of my head. And MBZ and Audi have been off an on throughout the years more specifically offering those maintenance programs in the 80's and 90's.
Old 08-13-10 | 09:49 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Have had my IS350 since August 2006 and other than oil/filter changes at $50 each, and the various recalls, I haven't had any further charges. It has less than 20,000 miles on it but I haven't experienced any problems with it. If you don't fiddle with the car modding it it is very reliable.
Old 08-13-10 | 10:26 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CRB
I think you're wrong. The dealers don't want to get low balled by the manufacturer on their true gravy train...unnecessary, over-priced service. I think the trend is to lengthen the service intervals to minimize the covered service.
Assuming your response was to me (correct me if wrong)... I'm not saying the dealers want built-in free maintenance, I was just saying they will ultimately benefit from it whether they realize it or not.

The way it is now, anyone with a brain is probably going to figure out that they can either get oil changes cheaper elsewhere or just do it themselves, and take it in for major service every year or two. So if service is their gravy train, they are letting the gravy vapor escape through the chimney.

Building it into the price of the car means the customer will come to them for service, point blank. Why go to Jiffy Lube for a $25 oil change when you've already paid for a free one from the Lexus dealer? Ok, ultimately Lexus will probably charge a lot more than $25, but the problem is currently they charge $190 which is over-the-top. Bring that down to something like $50, and roll it into the total cost of the car and they have a winner.

I don't see the length of the service intervals being really any different, I think its been every 5,000 on every car I've bought in the last 15 years.

Quick Reply: I think maintenance will be included with all Lexus cars in 1 or 2 years.