Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Going to talk to Corvette designers

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 01:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madoka
Well, I went yesterday. They had some interesting people there with me. In particular, a guy who owned both a 911 GT3 RS and a Kia Soul. That has to be one of the weirdest car combos I've ever heard. They also had a SC430 owner there. I'm sorry, but the Lexus SC buyer is not in the same market as a Corvette buyer. Sure enough, when we were talking about how the engine/exhaust should sound, you heard her comment, "Excuse me, but why would you ever want to hear your engine?"

They were very strict on security. In fact, they never at any point conceded that we were looking at a prototype Corvette interior, but it was obvious.

While I can't comment on what I saw in the six hours I spent looking at car interiors, I think I can say I went home sad over how clueless/tacky/out-of-style/possibly insane GM designers are. I'm pretty sure I used the words "really dangerous" if not "crazy" to describe one of their proposals. I think I should have been more forceful though because I really do think they shouldn't do it. But I guess everyone wants to be polite and not insulting at one of these things.
Thanks for the write-up. Maybe the SC guy was invited based on the fact he likes class leading interiors and that is something the Vette team would like input from?

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I still cant believe that the steering wheel in the vette is the same as the cobalt. GHETTTO!!! Its stuff like this that makes the euro guys laugh at the vette guys. The vette guys are usually under the impression that the euro guys are throwing their money in the trash. Obviously not.

If the ZR1 had an interior like a Porsche or Bimmer the car would sell far better. Its one thing to pay for performance but you are not going to use it all of the time. What you utilize every second of driving the car is the interior
Euro guys laugh at Vette guys? So what. Vette guys laugh at Euro guys for buying overpriced vehicles.

The 911 took 4 decades to get to having a great interior. It was spartan until the 997. The 996 was nearly identical to the Boxster and wasn't exactly luxurious at all. The M3 interior is spartan and the M6 interior ain't great either.

There is no doubt the interior needs work and has for sometime and its a glaring fault. Clearly the Vette still sells on many other merits.

Its not like if the Vette gets a Bentley interior people will trade in their Porches and M3s for a Vette.

Old 08-15-10, 01:48 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After owning a C6 Z51 6-speed Vert' for a year now, I will say this car is so close to being perfect except for a few shortcuts GM took to save some money on interior parts/trim. The vette is an absolute BLAST to drive (it never fails to make me laugh like a little kid on WOT fun), it gets tons of attention/compliments, and has even helped me start conversations with girls I subsequently went on to sleep with All GM needs to do is not skimp out on some interior trim, and everything would be perfect about the C6. In the end, I wouldnt trade my Vette in for anything else for the money (despite the few interior trim shortcomings).
Old 08-17-10, 09:26 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 260hpTypeS
After owning a C6 Z51 6-speed Vert' for a year now, I will say this car is so close to being perfect except for a few shortcuts GM took to save some money on interior parts/trim. The vette is an absolute BLAST to drive (it never fails to make me laugh like a little kid on WOT fun), it gets tons of attention/compliments, and has even helped me start conversations with girls I subsequently went on to sleep with All GM needs to do is not skimp out on some interior trim, and everything would be perfect about the C6. In the end, I wouldnt trade my Vette in for anything else for the money (despite the few interior trim shortcomings).
I had a 07, and the car is great fun at 3200#, and with a few updates I plan on returning to a C7.
Old 08-17-10, 09:33 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

In my most humble opinion, the Vette is the best valued performance car available... only things I would suggest would be slightly improved leather & dash and NAV... that's it...

....there's a reason I like this car so much...
Old 08-17-10, 12:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

++++1

go drive a Z06 and see if the interior bothers you...I bet it won't with that huge smile on your face when you floor it

Last edited by bagwell; 08-17-10 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 12:58 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
++++1

go drive a Z06 and see if the interior bothers you...I bet it won't with that huge smile on your face when you floor it
Shhhhh....drove a Grand Sport yesterday (suhweet, liked it's road manners better than the Z06 ... interior is FINE, better on WI roads... convertible test this weekend .... shhhhh....
Old 08-20-10, 10:35 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Shhhhh....drove a Grand Sport yesterday (suhweet, liked it's road manners better than the Z06 ... interior is FINE, better on WI roads... convertible test this weekend .... shhhhh....
Surprised you like the GS over the Z, it is down 70HP, and 150# heavier, but both have the wide body and same size tires.

You only live once, so enjoy this one as much as possible.

As mentioned I plan on returning to the vette world soon myself. You'll find there are many fun events available with those cars, check out the link below, where you can research clubs and activities along with information on the various models.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php

Good luck
Old 08-20-10, 10:59 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hblexus07
Surprised you like the GS over the Z, it is down 70HP, and 150# heavier, but both have the wide body and same size tires.

You only live once, so enjoy this one as much as possible.

As mentioned I plan on returning to the vette world soon myself. You'll find there are many fun events available with those cars, check out the link below, where you can research clubs and activities along with information on the various models.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php

Good luck
Yep, been over on corvetteforums again, doing research (GREAT info) on Z vs GS... plan to drive back-to-back tomorrow... GS advantage is bad WI roads... I just found out from my guy (Corvette Conti) that he's doing some big discounts on Zs as well as Grand Sport... including Z carbon fiber so.... ahhh.... I'll defer silence since no one on CL believes I'll ever get my car

Last edited by rdgdawg; 08-20-10 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-20-10, 01:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^ I believe you did get a car (VW).
Old 08-20-10, 01:32 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
^^ I believe you did get a car (VW).
True my friend... but I'm referring to the "dream car" set-up that's at 19 months and counting... ... the VW is the "transition" car... or something like that
Old 08-20-10, 01:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

True my friend... but I'm referring to the "dream car" set-up that's at 19 months and counting... ... the VW is the "transition" car... or something like that
Sounds like a plan.
Old 08-21-10, 01:04 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, been over on corvetteforums again, doing research (GREAT info) on Z vs GS... plan to drive back-to-back tomorrow... GS advantage is bad WI roads... I just found out from my guy (Corvette Conti) that he's doing some big discounts on Zs as well as Grand Sport... including Z carbon fiber so.... ahhh.... I'll defer silence since no one on CL believes I'll ever get my car
We both may have one by then but good luck to you either way.