Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 08:53 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how does the sorento compare to the rx350 in size ?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I checked out both the Sorento and Sportage at the dealership when my brother and I recently went shopping for a new Kia Soul. I test-drove a 6-speed automatic LX AWD Sportage, but did not drive the Sorento. I did so mostly for my own reference/curiosity, so I didn't write up a long, formal review of it....there wasn't much CL interest, and I did not have any specific review requests. But I did look both over exensively, and took the Sportage for a pretty good test-drive.

The Sorento was slightly larger, roomier inside, and had a nicer-trimmed interior (the Sportage, IMO, was rather plain-Jane inside, even in high-trim versions). Both seemed fairly well-built, with good assembly quality and fit/finish. I generally liked the Sportage's road manners, with a smooth comfortable ride, firm (but artificial-feeling) steering effort, and, something not often found in this low-priced vehicle class...a butter-smooth in-line four and 6-speed automatic. But road noise was not well-supressed, and the weight/drag of the AWD and automatic took its toll on acceleration.
Old 08-17-10, 12:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the new design and have seen one on the road. You can clearly see the new design philosophy that they are implementing with the new Sonata and this new little SUV. They are still doing well and are right on track
Old 08-17-10, 01:37 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I just checked them out at the dealer as well, the sorento is pretty substantial in size......looks like 25k out the door with rear view sensor and 3rd row seating and 22.5 out the door for base, the base is well equipped and does not feel like a stripped down highlander base.

at first the venza would still be my choice but a base venza is going for about 27to 28 out the door vs 22.5 out the door for the sorento.
Old 08-17-10, 01:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Haven't seen one on the road, but I do like the look of the Sportage (based on the photos so far). Maybe the CRV and RAV4 have a real competitor in this category.
Old 08-17-10, 01:54 PM
LexFather

Lol I swear I saw 4 today and thought of this thread

I'm happy Kia finally makes a nice SUV but it's like getting excited about the 4th grade beauty pagaent. Unless your name is pedobear..... Or R Kelly

Old 08-17-10, 02:00 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

haha ya it is!

I wish kia took the sportage design and applied it to the midsize line up...or maybe they will apply it to their full size model...the sportage is pretty radical and original.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lol I swear I saw 4 today and thought of this thread

I'm happy Kia finally makes a nice SUV but it's like getting excited about the 4th grade beauty pagaent. Unless your name is pedobear..... Or R Kelly
Old 08-17-10, 02:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Hopefully my name is not pedobear, lol.

Because I'm probably the only one here that thinks the current CRV is reasonably attractive (not to mention the smoothest 4-banger and most refined chassis in this cheap mini-CUV class).
Old 08-17-10, 02:07 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
the sportage is pretty radical and original.
Radical and original.
Old 08-17-10, 02:21 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

yea some people will notice the original radical design theme, it's there and very aparent.....and some simply won't.

and this isn't even about kia, it's more about peter schreyer...how a designer can single handedly turn a econo company around. that says a lot. but then again only some will realize the value to this.

people have opinions just like yours.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Radical and original.

Last edited by mikemareen; 08-17-10 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 04:22 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

it seems to share the same presence and size as the rx350 and mazda cx9.
Old 08-18-10, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

how does the sorento compare to the rx350 in size ?
I didn't take exact measurements, but it seems to be more or less the same size....both are mid-sized, car-based SUVs. Both also seemd to have more or less the same interior room, though the RX had a slightly more-raked rear roofline that impacted some cargo area....the new Sorento's was a little more square, conservative, and space-efficient.

As far as value goes, the Sorento is not bad for the price, but, of course, cannot compare with the RX's rich wood-trimmed interior....the Sorento uses cheaper-looking wood-plastic, and, IMO, not a very good looking one at that.

I did not test-drive a Sorento, but given the impressive smoothness of the 4-cylinder, 6-speed automatic in the smaller, cheaper Sportage, I would imagine the Sorento's drivetrain to stack up pretty well against the RX's, though, of course, no one beats Lexus in silky smoothness and refinement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-18-10 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 09:02 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Havent seen either one in my neck of the woods.
Old 08-18-10, 10:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

A great improvement over their predecessors. But I am not liking Kia's tumbly and tacky grille framing.
Other picks- The floating foglight has been copied about 100 times now. The rear pillar on the Sportage is huge and makes the whole body look smaller than it really is. Can't be good for visiblilty either. Ooooo... and the Sportage front bumper/face looks like one of those mad Hawaiian face mask voodoo things.
Alas, I've thought this since I first layed eyes on the new Sorrento- the back lights look like copies of the current Lexus LX. Not a bad thing in any sense, but I wonder if anyone else felt the resemblence.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 08-18-10 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-19-10, 08:49 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I just saw the new sportage with the horizontal daytime led's and it's very impressive. the styling is something you see on a audi-bmw, it's very apparent.

the designer hit the spot with the design but of course KIA had to screw it all up by deciding the design to be in the compact suv range. What a buncha idiots! the current sportage in mid-size range would totally shake up the midsize econo-luxury market that the highlander-rx350 has tight command of....buncha idiots at kia seriously.

they shoulda threw the sorento design as the compact and the sportage design as the midsize...I bet peter schreyer is thinking the same as well.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A great improvement over their predecessors. But I am not liking Kia's tumbly and tacky grille framing.
Other picks- The floating foglight has been copied about 100 times now. The rear pillar on the Sportage is huge and makes the whole body look smaller than it really is. Can't be good for visiblilty either. Ooooo... and the Sportage front bumper/face looks like one of those mad Hawaiian face mask voodoo things.
Alas, I've thought this since I first layed eyes on the new Sorrento- the back lights look like copies of the current Lexus LX. Not a bad thing in any sense, but I wonder if anyone else felt the resemblence.
Old 08-19-10, 01:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I just saw the new sportage with the horizontal daytime led's and it's very impressive. the styling is something you see on a audi-bmw, it's very apparent.

the designer hit the spot with the design but of course KIA had to screw it all up by deciding the design to be in the compact suv range. What a buncha idiots! the current sportage in mid-size range would totally shake up the midsize econo-luxury market that the highlander-rx350 has tight command of....buncha idiots at kia seriously.

they shoulda threw the sorento design as the compact and the sportage design as the midsize...I bet peter schreyer is thinking the same as well.
The rear styling of the new Sportage, with its roofline, beltline, and rather small windows and short, wide D-pillars, does not make for good rear vision....not as good as in the last one by any means. I didn't do a formal review, but took one for a test-drive when we bought my brother's new Soul....and that was one of the things I noticed.

Quick Reply: anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?