Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-10, 10:39 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConceptVBS
You'll be surprised how many pre-owned Lexus models there are in my neighborhood Hyundai dealer. The majority of them, according to the sales person, were trade-ins for the Genesis and Sonata with a few Santa Fe.

Also, right outside the dealership by the entrance there is an MB S550 sitting all pretty. Imagine that.
If this is actually the case then maybe there is more of a question on whether Lexus is truly a Tier 1 brand, as this certainly isn't the case with BMW, MB and Audi.

Flame suit on.
Old 08-21-10, 10:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
If this is actually the case then maybe there is more of a question on whether Lexus is truly a Tier 1 brand, as this certainly isn't the case with BMW, MB and Audi.

Flame suit on.
Its clear we at Clublexus should trade in all our cars for something else.

You'll be surprised how many pre-owned Lexus models there are in my neighborhood Hyundai dealer. The majority of them, according to the sales person, were trade-ins for the Genesis and Sonata with a few Santa Fe.

Also, right outside the dealership by the entrance there is an MB S550 sitting all pretty. Imagine that.
How do you know they were not bought at the auction? Plenty of Kia, Suzuki, Hyundai, Saab, etc dealers buy luxury cars at auctions and sell them on their used car lots.

What YOU see at the dealer doesn't really mean anything.

Old 08-21-10, 10:51 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its clear we at Clublexus should trade in all our cars for something else.
That's what I was thinking too.

Maybe I'll head over to Hyundai and trade the F for a brand spankin' new Genesis coupe.
Old 08-21-10, 11:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

And the last place I go for factual data is the typical salesperson....
Old 08-22-10, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
And the last place I go for factual data is the typical salesperson....
Sometimes they know what they're doing (and saying)....sometimes not. A few times, for example, I've had to depend on them to get the I-Drive and MMI set up because it was just too complex for me....especially while on the road, rolling.
Old 08-22-10, 04:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sometimes they know what they're doing (and saying)....sometimes not. A few times, for example, I've had to depend on them to get the I-Drive and MMI set up because it was just too complex for me....especially while on the road, rolling.
Sadly "sometimes" is typical in car sales business. As I said usually the last people to provide factual data, especially sales data about competitors.

It would be nice if they were consistently good, like the 2 salespeople I deal with at my local Lexus dealership, both holding positions long term and having good knowledge base, a rarity in the car business.
Old 08-23-10, 09:26 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

my bad, no punt intended to korean designers.

maybe it's just hyundai and kia's past designers who where incompetent.

Perhaps its because most top korean designers get picked up by the big boys GM, VW, mercedes, BMW and others.

The guy who designed the Camaro is Korean. The guy who designed the FJ cruiser is also Korean (although personally dont like that design).
Old 08-23-10, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't want to take the thread too far off-topic here, but those Lexus and M-B trade-ins
may not only be due just to the desirability of the Genesis at a lower price (which, of course, it is). Perhaps those Lexus and M-B owners simply couldn't afford to keep the payments up in this bad economy, and didn't want their cars repossessed....that can screw up your credit rating.
Old 08-23-10, 12:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Could we possibly get more off topic with this thread........
Old 08-23-10, 12:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Could we possibly get more off topic with this thread........
Hey....welcome to CAR CHAT. Par for the course. But, I agree, back to the Sorento and Sportage.
Old 08-23-10, 12:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Hey....welcome to CAR CHAT. Par for the course. But, I agree, back to the Sorento and Sportage.
CHIT CHAT for sure, par for the course.

I think the Sportage will make a splash in this inexpensive CUV/SUV class (with decent sales volume).

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-23-10 at 03:56 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-23-10, 01:15 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

the genesis sedan price is irresistable! here in so cal u can pick one up (new 2010 model) for 33k OUT THE DOOR, maybe even 32.5k out the door....add 1000 - 1500 for factory navi and you'll be at around 34k out the door!

I don't want to take the thread too far off-topic here, but those Lexus and M-B trade-ins
may not only be due just to the desirability of the Genesis at a lower price (which, of course, it is). Perhaps those Lexus and M-B owners simply couldn't afford to keep the payments up in this bad economy, and didn't want their cars repossessed....that can screw up your credit rating.
Old 08-23-10, 01:17 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

ya this is a pretty amazing design, almost makes me want to get a compact suv when I hate anything compact! check out this cool video.

this also gives the ford edge a run for the money, I'd take this all day and keep the remaining cash in the bank!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8RwnmIfvyk

CHIT CHAT for sure, par for the course.

I thing the Sportage will make a spash in this inexpensive CUV/SUV class (with decent sales volume).

Last edited by mikemareen; 08-23-10 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 03:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Cool vid, I have nothing against a compact-sized SUV. I happen to like the CRV (and GLK), an opinion not shared by most here.

It's just that most of them show too many obvious characteristics of being a cheap, crude, underpowered economy car on stilts.
Old 08-23-10, 05:55 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

for some odd reason, the sportage actually doesn't look as small as the crv and rav4.

maybe it's the design characteristic but it does come off bigger than it's measurements.

Cool vid, I have nothing against a compact-sized SUV. I happen to like the CRV (and GLK), an opinion not shared by most here.

It's just that most of them show too many obvious characteristics of being a cheap, crude, underpowered economy car on stilts.

Quick Reply: anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?