Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 08:07 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemareen
for some odd reason, the sportage actually doesn't look as small as the crv and rav4.

maybe it's the design characteristic but it does come off bigger than it's measurements.
I just saw it in person yesterday. It looks smaller in person than the CRV. It was a basic strippo one (no leather, no pano roof). Although it was nice, I still plan to drive it later to see how nice it really is versus the CRV.
Old 08-24-10, 08:50 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

u sure the crv looks bigger ? my tennant has a crv and the thing is tiny...maybe the boxier, stronger stance sportage affectively makes it look visually bigger.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I just saw it in person yesterday. It looks smaller in person than the CRV. It was a basic strippo one (no leather, no pano roof). Although it was nice, I still plan to drive it later to see how nice it really is versus the CRV.
Old 08-24-10, 09:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

u sure the crv looks bigger ? my tennant has a crv and the thing is tiny...maybe the boxier, stronger stance sportage affectively makes it look visually bigger.

Yes, CRV is taller with larger windows which makes it look bigger from the outside and feel bigger when sitting inside. Sportage has a slightly wider track, stronger stance.
Old 08-24-10, 02:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ConceptVBS
You'll be surprised how many pre-owned Lexus models there are in my neighborhood Hyundai dealer. The majority of them, according to the sales person, were trade-ins for the Genesis and Sonata with a few Santa Fe.

Also, right outside the dealership by the entrance there is an MB S550 sitting all pretty. Imagine that.
For what it's worth, your salesman is simply shooting you a line of complete and utter BS. I have worked in a few different car dealerships and also worked on the manufacturer side, and can promise you that 9 times out of 10 used cars are bought at an auction, whether internal (withing a dealer group, manufacturer, region) or external.

On rare occasions a car will be traded in and then go on the used car lot at that same dealership, but not frequently. Many people have the same perception that your salesman was shooting for - "Oh well since the lot is full of BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, McLarens, Bugattis, and Fiskers, those must have been traded in for Hyundais!"

Wrong. In fact, some dealerships who are really aggressively pushing new models will go to auction and buy competing models and put them on platforms in the used car dept/lot to try and deliberately give that impression and draw attention.

Old 08-24-10, 02:53 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

wait so this don't make sense, they would go through all the trouble
to get certain models at the auction just so they could give off the impression that they are getting traded in ?

this is pretty far fetched, so the fact that they want to sell a car is no longer the goal ? c'mon now.

yah the dealer who said that about lexus trade in's was definitely full of bs but this kinda sounds strange.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Wrong. In fact, some dealerships who are really aggressively pushing new models will go to auction and buy competing models and put them on platforms in the used car dept/lot to try and deliberately give that impression and draw attention.

Old 08-24-10, 03:09 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

wait so this don't make sense, they would go through all the trouble
to get certain models at the auction just so they could give off the impression that they are getting traded in ?
Correct. Many times with larger dealer groups, there is virtually no cost to the dealership. If "bigdealershipchain" Infiniti is pushing the new M, it's very simple to go into the "bigdealershipchain" database/auction of used cars and pull GSs, 5s, and Es. Within a few days the car arrives.

this is pretty far fetched, so the fact that they want to sell a car is no longer the goal ? c'mon now.
It's a win-win. The used dept has some nice/competitive/desirable models to list and salespeople can tell joe schmo, "Oh yea....see that S550 over there? Just traded it in on a Genesis!!!!!"

It never fails.

yah the dealer who said that about lexus trade in's was definitely full of bs but this kinda sounds strange.
It's the same thing.
Old 08-24-10, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

For what it's worth, your salesman is simply shooting you a line of complete and utter BS. I have worked in a few different car dealerships and also worked on the manufacturer side, and can promise you that 9 times out of 10 used cars are bought at an auction, whether internal (withing a dealer group, manufacturer, region) or external.

On rare occasions a car will be traded in and then go on the used car lot at that same dealership, but not frequently. Many people have the same perception that your salesman was shooting for - "Oh well since the lot is full of BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, McLarens, Bugattis, and Fiskers, those must have been traded in for Hyundais!"

In fact, some dealerships who are really aggressively pushing new models will go to auction and buy competing models and put them on platforms in the used car dept/lot to try and deliberately give that impression and draw attention.

Guess it depends on the specific used car, but I would seriously doubt if Manufacturer-approved Certified Used Cars come from auctions. For a CPO, the car's history has to be documented, with service records, a clean title search, no accident damage (or properly-repaired damage), age/mileage limits, the 100+ point inspection procedure, etc....

Buying auctioned cars, even for a dealership, can be a very risky buisness. They can include all kinds of lemons, flood-damaged vehicles (many of those were sold after Katrina), bank/dealer repos from those who couldn't keep up the payments, and even vehicles used in crimes/drug deals and impounded by the police.
Old 08-24-10, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Now (again)...back to the Sportage and Sorento.
Old 08-24-10, 04:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Guess it depends on the specific used car, but I would seriously doubt if Manufacturer-approved Certified Used Cars come from auctions. For a CPO, the car's history has to be documented, with service records, a clean title search, no accident damage (or properly-repaired damage), age/mileage limits, the 100+ point inspection procedure, etc....
Not the case. Let those that actually have industry experience chime in.

Even without industry experience and knowledge, all you have to do is look at a few CARFAXs of nice manufacturer-approved CPO cars to know that.

All the CPO criteria is still met regardless.

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-24-10 at 04:44 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-24-10, 04:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Now (again)...back to the Sportage and Sorento.
Yes agreed, because the misinformation about the nicer used premium cars on Hyundai and Kia lots has been corrected, versus the typical lies from salespeople.
Old 08-24-10, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not the case. Let those that actually have industry experience chime in.
Have you yourself sold used cars? (yes, including Hyundais/Kias?) Apparantly MPLexus301 has....and I wasn't questioning what he himself saw, only the source of some of the CPO's.
Old 08-24-10, 04:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Have you yourself sold used cars? (yes, including Hyundais/Kias?)
My comment is related to factory-backed CPO cars as a reply to your comment (regarding industry experience) and yes I do know people very well that sell these CPO cars. And I've owned CPO cars too.

But anybody can see on the CARFAX reports of many desirable factory-backed CPO cars were they are sourced from. No industry experience needed.

Therefore my comment was about CPO cars (source of).
Old 08-24-10, 07:03 PM
LexFather

This is correct and agrees with what I said earlier. Pre owned luxury cars on non luxury car lots are huge profit makers. Why?

They are bought at an auction for cheap
Person that shops at non luxury brand has less money and worse credit
Person sees luxury cars at Kia/Hyundai lot
Dealership has tripled the price of the car
Person buys used luxury car there at a higher interest rate with less money down

Then they go buy huge knock off wheels, cheap springs and say "Hey I am VIP style I need friends"

Old 08-25-10, 09:38 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

wow I wish the sorento did a 25 mpg mixed but it looks more like it does 22mpg mixed.

great looking suv! but there's been some reports that something is bad with the tranny, I don't think it's selling very well so 18K plus ttl might be possible on this bad boy!

Old 08-26-10, 09:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sorento is so forgettable, as seen by most of the American car-buying public.

I expect the new Sportage to do better.

Quick Reply: anyone see the new kia sorento and sportage on the streets yet ?