Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Ostoure super-naked motorcycle (because naked = sexy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 04:02 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up The Ostoure super-naked motorcycle (because naked = sexy)

News Link

The Ostoure super-naked motorcycle concept is Iranian designer Mohammad Reza Shojaie's take on the street muscle bike of the future. The concept draws inspiration from ancient Persian engravings, combining these with cutting-edge design elements and some high-tech trimmings such as two-wheel drive and an in-helmet heads-up display.

Ostoure means “legend” in Persian, and Shojaie says the bike’s design was inspired by the stone engravings of ancient Persepolis. Combining a muscular look with more delicate detailing, the Ostoure has an aggressive but refined appearance that would not be out of place on the boulevards of the near future.

The concept bike, which exists only as renderings at this point, features two-wheel drive with apparent shaft drive and dual differentials. Although it’s not clear from the renderings, Shojaie says steering is through the front wheel linkage, implying some type of hub steering. You steer the bike using the two handgrips located on either side of the fairing. The designer claims this nonstandard arrangement would be similar to piloting an aircraft.

The Ostoure has a single shock suspension on both the rear and front. Because of the front shock’s location, the bike uses a smaller front radiator, supported by smaller radiators located on each side.

Instrumentation is available both on board the bike, as well as through the helmet using a heads-up display (HUD). The Ostoure helmet is rather trick in itself. In addition to the HUD, the lid features a Bluetooth connection to the bike, built-in speakers, and even air-conditioning. The helmet’s controls are located on the bikes handgrip.

Although the Ostoure concept bike features some innovative tech, many of the concepts have been around motorcycles for years. Hub steering was used as far back as the 1920s, and has been seen more recently in Bimota, Tier Motorsports, and Vyrus. Helmet HUDs are currently available for motorcycles from OEMs and after-market providers. Shaft drive is not uncommon, and there are even a few two-wheel drive bikes from Yamaha, BMW, KTM and others.

With it’s eye-catching styling and just-over-the-horizon technology, the Ostoure concept has been generating a lot of buzz. In fact, Shojaie says his design earned him a scholarship to the Istituto Europeo di Design in Italy, so we can look forward to more great work from this promising designer.

Old 08-16-10, 04:05 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Just in case you wondered how a rider would fit on this:

Old 08-16-10, 05:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very futuristic, very cool .
Old 08-16-10, 07:21 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hate to see how much effort it would take to fight the air resistance with your neck.
Old 08-16-10, 10:43 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Interesting to look at since it's a cool design but I don't like the upright hand grip orientation.
Old 08-17-10, 06:53 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GS wanted
Interesting to look at since it's a cool design but I don't like the upright hand grip orientation.
Well, it does narrow the bike considerably, and with a little experience, I suppose a rider could get used to it. What is interesting to me is not just the HUD in the helmet, but the apparent default to it - with no obvious provision for instruments on the bike. With the twin "sticks", the HUD, and the styling, this is more a fighter jet than a motorcycle.
Old 08-17-10, 07:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Looks really cool , I like it
Old 08-17-10, 07:58 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS wanted
I agree. I very much like the styling and am impressed. I even like the HUD set-up. My friend has his helmet wired for such a set up, really nice, especially at high speeds.

The grips though? Hard to imagine how to roll on and off the throttle?

Phil...thoughts?
Old 08-17-10, 08:15 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Very cool. Reminds me of the Terminator cycles from "Terminator Salvation" a little bit.
Old 08-17-10, 08:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
The grips though? Hard to imagine how to roll on and off the throttle?

Phil...thoughts?
It should be relatively easy to learn. Twist and go is pretty standard; whether you ride a rocket, have 22" ape hangers, or hyperextended beach bars.

I'm more concerned about the integration of the clutch lever, brake levers, and turn signal controls. That would be more challenging to use, but still, I think it's a simple learning curve...
Old 08-17-10, 03:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory air (A/C) too, about time. Maybe the conditioned air will be pumped into suit and helmet.
Old 08-17-10, 03:53 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Gorgeous !!!!
Old 08-17-10, 07:35 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love the design.. but that exhaust gotta go.. couldn't they tuck that thing under or have it coming behind the seat or make it look like one from "taylor made" style?

the grips.. i don't know. i can't imagine using that style on corners while going 80+ mph..

since this is futuristic. i'm guessing all the instrumentals will be Displayed inside the LED.. LOL like the Iron man face shield..