Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-Gen Porsche 911 to Offer 7-Speed Manual, Plug-in Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11 | 11:19 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

My dads friend going to love this, seeing he's a truck driver lol
Anyways, I will stick with the paddle shifter thank you very much.
Old 04-29-11 | 11:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it's funny I commented on this but completely glossed over the following from the press release:

Wait, what? ELECTRIC POWER steering?

This is the #$#$()*& Porsche 911 we're talking about, right??

I don't know how I missed it until today when I ran across the press release on another website. It was shocking enough that I ran back here to do a search and see if no one had posted it. Even more shocking then was that someone had posted it and I even replied to it, haha.

I've always thought Porsche's steering feel was magnificent, and having spent some serious quality time in a 997.2 C2S PDK recently, my opinion was only further bolstered. There's just something about the delicate, variable ratio steering that is a total joy - a lot of it has to do with the lack of weight up front, but even other non-front-engined cars like Ferrari vehicles don't feel this good either.

I don't mind electric steering, but the problem is that once a non-electric steering goes electric, things change - just ask all the BMW heads bemoaning the electrohydraulic systems now prevalent across the BMW product range.

Ugh, so disappointing. Hopefully they do a good job of implementing the electric steering or keep it off the GT3 series - I rather liked the idea of making the 998/991 GT3 (if it released with PDK) a semi-daily driver until I read this news. Admittedly, it is relieved a bit by some murmurs I hear when I'm alone in the forest at night sometimes about Lexus possibly magically conjuring up some LFA derivative (oops, did I say that out loud?). But seriously, I'm surprised Porsche fans aren't way more up in arms about the electric power steering than I seem to have noticed so far on the internet forums...
It's a german brand, and it's Porsche. Porsche is therefore almost immune from internet criticism .

As for a 7 speed manual, that is a LOT of shifting.
Old 04-29-11 | 11:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it's funny I commented on this but completely glossed over the following from the press release:

Wait, what? ELECTRIC POWER steering?

This is the #$#$()*& Porsche 911 we're talking about, right??

I don't know how I missed it until today when I ran across the press release on another website. It was shocking enough that I ran back here to do a search and see if no one had posted it. Even more shocking then was that someone had posted it and I even replied to it, haha.

I've always thought Porsche's steering feel was magnificent, and having spent some serious quality time in a 997.2 C2S PDK recently, my opinion was only further bolstered. There's just something about the delicate, variable ratio steering that is a total joy - a lot of it has to do with the lack of weight up front, but even other non-front-engined cars like Ferrari vehicles don't feel this good either.

I don't mind electric steering, but the problem is that once a non-electric steering goes electric, things change - just ask all the BMW heads bemoaning the electrohydraulic systems now prevalent across the BMW product range.

Ugh, so disappointing. Hopefully they do a good job of implementing the electric steering or keep it off the GT3 series - I rather liked the idea of making the 998/991 GT3 (if it released with PDK) a semi-daily driver until I read this news. Admittedly, it is relieved a bit by some murmurs I hear when I'm alone in the forest at night sometimes about Lexus possibly magically conjuring up some LFA derivative (oops, did I say that out loud?). But seriously, I'm surprised Porsche fans aren't way more up in arms about the electric power steering than I seem to have noticed so far on the internet forums...
Nothings sacred

Old 04-30-11 | 05:58 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Lol 7-speed manual.

Why bother lol? Porsche should just continue with its plan to expand PDK transmissions and once they've done that, then they can kill the stick shift (just like Ferrari did).

I tell you: Manual gearboxes are losing its place and importance in sport/performance/racing vehicles (and this is happening even as we speak)

Old 04-30-11 | 06:35 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I get the point of a 7 speed manual, I'd drive one, but I don't think I'd want one as my DD over a conventional stick...however, since it's possible that you row the first 5 gears like a conventional stick, well perhaps you wouldn't really even notice the difference until you switched into high. Alright, I just talked myself into driving one as my DD.'

Also, I love how whenever these type of threads come up at least 3 people poo poo the standard transmission. If you don't choose to drive one that is fine (and what Lexus is for). But there are those of who do and are interested in the tech. Who knows what a 7 speed manual can do. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 04-30-11 | 07:15 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

as great as the pdk is, it still feels like a automatic tranny. i know it shifts faster than i could, but its just not that fun. hope porsche and other maufacturers keep the manual alive!
Old 04-30-11 | 10:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I get the point of a 7 speed manual, I'd drive one, but I don't think I'd want one as my DD over a conventional stick...however, since it's possible that you row the first 5 gears like a conventional stick, well perhaps you wouldn't really even notice the difference until you switched into high. Alright, I just talked myself into driving one as my DD.'

Also, I love how whenever these type of threads come up at least 3 people poo poo the standard transmission. If you don't choose to drive one that is fine (and what Lexus is for). But there are those of who do and are interested in the tech. Who knows what a 7 speed manual can do. We'll have to wait and see.
If the top two gears function differently or are seldom used, I'm fine with that. I guess I'll wait and see, but the idea of a 7 speed stick doesn't sound appealing to me initially.
Old 06-01-11 | 04:58 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Post 7

More isn’t always better. We’ll agree in terms of power, but respectfully pass when we’re talking about weight. Transmission gears? We’re not sure. Some recent automatics have featured 7 and 8forward ratios (and ZF has even announced a 9-speed auto), but the maximum for traditional clutch-and-lever manual transmissions has been 6 for some time. That’s about to change, however, because we’ve confirmed from various corporate sources that Porsche will offer a 7-speed manual in the next-generation 911, a development we 1st reported last November.

The point is to offer a tall, 7th gear for improved efficiency and reduced engine noise during long cruises. The shifting experience is said to be similar to that of the current 6-speed manual—which we love—there’s just a bit more rowing to do, although, depending on the ratio spread, veteran Porsche drivers might also have to slightly tweak their thinking in terms of gear choice for upcoming corners. Unless something changes and the shift pattern is seriously wacky, though, we doubt anyone will get confused during hard driving, since 7th will hardly be anyone’s go-to gear for corner exit.

As to the next 911 itself, it carries the internal 991 designation and is scheduled to debut at the Frankfurt auto show this September. It will be based on the stretched architecture of the 996/997 and offer more rear seat space and a more comfortable, luxurious interior. Vehicle stability will be improved thanks to a longer wheelbase. Future generations of the 911, however, are expected to share many components with the next-gen Audi R8 and Lamborghini Gallardo as part of the VW Group’s highly flexible Modularer Sportbaukasten, or “modular sports architecture.” When and if this platform convergence happens, the 911 will keep its rear-engine layout, although the powerplant may nevertheless be moved forward significantly.

Porsche’s 7-speed manual only adds to the multiple gearbox options in the sports-car segment, which include dual-clutch, torque-converter, and modified automatics; traditional manuals; and even an entirely new single-clutch automatic in the Lamborghini Aventador. Will the 7-speed manual be offered by other automakers as well? At present, a supplier source tells us additional interest in the technology is limited.
Old 06-01-11 | 05:17 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I don't see any problem with a 7-speed manual transmission.

In the old days many cars only had 3-speed manual transmissions which eventually moved up to four, five and as of late, six.

On a 7-speed manual transmission, I can imagine that most of the gear shifting will take place between gears one and five. Gears six and seven will be used to keep the engine RPMs down (overdrive gears) thus bettering the fuel mileage.
Old 06-01-11 | 06:40 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Everyone's gotta the play the game--and the name of the game is CAFE.
Old 06-01-11 | 08:00 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whoster
Everyone's gotta the play the game--and the name of the game is CAFE.
And it's giving us some great tech.
Old 06-01-11 | 08:23 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

No cure for cancer or the common cold, but we do now have 7 speed manuals.

I love technology.
Old 06-01-11 | 03:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

sure, here you can drive 100-110mph on the highway, so for high speed cars, there is a lot of sense of getting something that will lower your rpms at over 100mph.
Old 06-01-11 | 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Depends on what you mean by "Poo-poo". A conventional 3-pedal manual can be fun in some driving conditions and a real PITA in others.

As for the prospect of a 7-speed manual, I hope that, if Porsche goes that route, they put in a Ferrari-syle visible shift-gate for the lever so that you can see where the lever is going. With that many gears (and complex H-Pattern), it could be easy to hit the wrong gear just by feel alone.