Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-Gen Porsche 911 to Offer 7-Speed Manual, Plug-in Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10 | 09:20 PM
LexFather

Post Next-Gen Porsche 911 to Offer 7-Speed Manual, Plug-in Hybrid

http://wot.motortrend.com/6677428/fu...rid/index.html

Porsche is preparing big changes for its most iconic model, the 911.

The next-generation model -- codenamed 991 -- is "definitely brand-new," Automobile magazine says. The next 911 is said to lose as much as 100 pounds and offer 10-percent greater fuel efficiency than the current car, pictured here.

What really gets our attention is the possibility of a seven-speed manual transmission. We've heard talk of Mercedes-Benz developing a nine-speed automatic transmission, but wonder whether an extra gear on a manual transmission would have a positive effect on the driving experience.

As on the Panamera, the next 911 may get a fuel-saving engine start/stop feature as well as regenerative braking and new battery management technology. Electric power steering should help improve efficiency as well. For those concerned with flash, 20-in. wheels are said to be an option.

Just as the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette won't become a mid-engined car, the new 911 will remain rear-engined. Even so, handling is better thanks to the rear axle moved back almost three inches.

After seeing the upcoming Porsche Cayenne, it's no surprise that the new 911's interior will take cues from the inside of the Panamera.

The base engine, reports Automobile magazine, will be a 350-horsepower 3.4-liter six-cylinder engine. Perhaps learning from the development of the 918 Spyder and the 911 GT3 R Hybrid racer, Porsche may debut a plug-in hybrid (like the prototype we caught testing not long ago) during the course of the 991's lifecycle.

Why not help Porsche focus its next-generation 911 development? Tell us below what you think the automaker should focus on to improve the 911.

Source: Automobile
Old 08-18-10 | 09:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

That is one confusing schematic.

There better be a fail-safe system because I can see bad things happening in the future
Old 08-18-10 | 09:35 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Eaton Fuller's 8-speed design seems to make sense, but that's 8-speed. I wonder how Porsche implements its 7-speed. I guess R in the upper left position with HI and LO means that there are two reverse gears. But what does LO mean in the bottom left position? Low-range gears for offroading? And why does it say 18-speed in the graph? Something to do with the lever being able to move both up-and-down and fore-and-aft?

Last edited by Mister Two; 08-18-10 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-18-10 | 11:18 PM
Hoovey689

sure it might be "brand new" but it's still going to look the same LOL
Old 08-19-10 | 12:30 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Put PDK on the GT3 and I'll actually consider the 991. I've had a blast driving the PDK versions of both the C2S and Cayman S, and as nontraditional as it is, would love to see it on the GT3 line. That might be too much to hope for in my lifetime, though.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
sure it might be "brand new" but it's still going to look the same LOL
That's actually something that manages to draw me to Porsche vehicles. Catch a brief glimpse of a 911? If you didn't get a good look, it could be anything from a vanilla yawn-inducing C4 to an absolutely ridiculous GT2.
Old 08-19-10 | 05:52 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Please keep the manual transmission alive.
Old 08-19-10 | 07:44 AM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Eaton Fuller's 8-speed design seems to make sense, but that's 8-speed. I wonder how Porsche implements its 7-speed. I guess R in the upper left position with HI and LO means that there are two reverse gears. But what does LO mean in the bottom left position? Low-range gears for offroading? And why does it say 18-speed in the graph? Something to do with the lever being able to move both up-and-down and fore-and-aft?
18 speed because each gear has a high and low gear.

That's a 18 wheeler transmission.
Old 08-19-10 | 08:24 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koma
18 speed because each gear has a high and low gear.

That's a 18 wheeler transmission.
That's what i was thinking.
Shift it like a big rig!
Old 08-19-10 | 08:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I go from 1-2-4-6 in the Mini Cooper S....no need to row thru ever gear.
Old 08-19-10 | 08:53 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Please keep the manual transmission alive.
MTs aren't going anywhere on the Porsche. Just wish they would expand PDK as an option across the board.
Old 08-19-10 | 10:33 AM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by bagwell
I go from 1-2-4-6 in the Mini Cooper S....no need to row thru ever gear.
Sure there's no need to if you know you're going to get into 6th and stay there but the safest is to row into each gear in case you need to do some sort of evasive maneuver.

I row through all the gears because it's fun.
Old 08-19-10 | 11:05 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
I row through all the gears because it's fun.
I couldn't agree more. I look forward to the new (same body) 911 because it is always an advance in tech, leaving the body of course unchanged.

It also means I can start to afford a proper 997!
Old 08-19-10 | 11:11 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

when it comes to rowing your own, is enough thanks. C;mon porsche, don't drop the ball, our relationship is still a bit shaky after the Cayenne pt1 and Panamera.
Old 08-19-10 | 01:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I will take mine with the paddle shifters. I prefer the easier rev matched down gear than the heel and toe that is difficult with size 13 shoes. The modern paddle shifted transmission have already been shown to outperform the manuals even on the track
Old 04-29-11 | 11:10 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it's funny I commented on this but completely glossed over the following from the press release:

Electric power steering should help improve efficiency as well.
Wait, what? ELECTRIC POWER steering?

This is the #$#$()*& Porsche 911 we're talking about, right??

I don't know how I missed it until today when I ran across the press release on another website. It was shocking enough that I ran back here to do a search and see if no one had posted it. Even more shocking then was that someone had posted it and I even replied to it, haha.

I've always thought Porsche's steering feel was magnificent, and having spent some serious quality time in a 997.2 C2S PDK recently, my opinion was only further bolstered. There's just something about the delicate, variable ratio steering that is a total joy - a lot of it has to do with the lack of weight up front, but even other non-front-engined cars like Ferrari vehicles don't feel this good either.

I don't mind electric steering, but the problem is that once a non-electric steering goes electric, things change - just ask all the BMW heads bemoaning the electrohydraulic systems now prevalent across the BMW product range.

Ugh, so disappointing. Hopefully they do a good job of implementing the electric steering or keep it off the GT3 series - I rather liked the idea of making the 998/991 GT3 (if it released with PDK) a semi-daily driver until I read this news. Admittedly, it is relieved a bit by some murmurs I hear when I'm alone in the forest at night sometimes about Lexus possibly magically conjuring up some LFA derivative (oops, did I say that out loud?). But seriously, I'm surprised Porsche fans aren't way more up in arms about the electric power steering than I seem to have noticed so far on the internet forums...

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Porsche 911 to Offer 7-Speed Manual, Plug-in Hybrid