Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW to Bring Back $85,000 Phaeton to U.S. Four Years After Failure (update not coming)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 12:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
It better be.
Still a long shot competing with other cars in the $85K range.
An $85K VW may be even worse than a $55K Hyundai to many.It is to me.
my thought exactly. I am really surprised that they are trying to bring this failure back.
Old 08-19-10, 12:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
This is Volkswagon's Genesis/Equus. I still think Hyundais attempt is better placed
No its not. This car debuted before both and it actually does decent in Europe. The Phaeton factory is one of a kind and it is built off a Bentley Continential. It debuted multiple world firsts. Sadly it looks like the old Passat and the badge simply is too hard to overcome.

The W8 Passat predates the Genesis by 6 or 7 years. Clearly the Genesis/Equus are their versions of VW cars.

Old 08-19-10, 12:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Its the same because its entrance into a segment that the company has not entered before ( at least the first time). Pretty easy to make the connection in my mind.
Old 08-19-10, 12:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Its the same because its entrance into a segment that the company has not entered before ( at least the first time). Pretty easy to make the connection in my mind.
The connection is Hyundai followed VW into these segments. Not the other way around.

Old 08-19-10, 01:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that VW was first but the move they are both making is into a new higher or more premium luxury segments
Old 01-10-11, 05:08 PM
LexFather

During a business background event on Sunday at its North American headquarters in Herndon, Virginia, Jonathan Browning, Volkswagen of America's CEO confirmed to Autoblog that the company's short-lived Phaeton sedan isn't likely to return to America any time soon.

Despite a flurry of reports to the contrary since the Phaeton left the U.S. market after the 2006 model year, Browning confirms that the luxury sedan is not part of the brand's ambitious plan to sell 800,000 units in North America by 2018. That said, while it's unlikely to return to North America in that time frame, VW is not completely ruling it out. According to Browning, the large luxury sedan segment is something that VW will eventually field an entry in once again ("It is not a case of if, but when") – but at the moment, it sounds like the return of the Phaeton is likely to be couple of generations away.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/10/v...any-time-soon/

Old 01-10-11, 05:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Awww, poor phailton.
Old 01-10-11, 05:34 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, you guys are brutal. A couple of points here please.

The Audi A8 and the V-dub are/were almost identical mechanically. And they are both magnificent cars. So it is/would be a direct competitor to the 7-series, S-class andd LS (and oddly enough-VW hasn't had any entries to contest these three in the States since the Phaeton disappeared). Already stated but should be reiterated.

VW made a bold statement. And it was aimed at all of us Lexus/Infiniti guys. Rebadging a great car is worthless. Burns market dollars and soothes egos for the truly vain among us. I drive an SC400. If it came stateside as a Soarer from the get, my ego WOULD NOT get in the way of me wanting it JUST AS MUCH, if not more, than a Lexus re-badged. You Altezza and Aristo and Crown folks need to look within on that one too.

VW has mega-deep pockets. And American sales don't account for as much of that as people here may want to think. They can afford to make the statement or try again as much as they want.

This one's a stretch. I don't of any/many luxo cars offering all-wheel drive or v-12 powerplants or even deisels as an option to this day. You KNOW VW is going to.

All that being said, I'm excited about the prospect of owning a luxury sedan in the future....after someone else takes the depreciative hit first of course. The LS460 is still at the top of my list for so many reasons, but if this car comes back stateside, it'll be my close #2.

The Phaeton is an effin rockstar still in Europe BTW!!!!

Only bad point-the name sucked. It actaully means 2-door car I was told.....

Last edited by Sweatshop; 01-10-11 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 05:45 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
Man, you guys are brutal. A couple of points here please.

The Audi A8 and the V-dub are/were almost identical mechanically. And they are both magnificent cars. So it is/would be a direct competitor to the 7-series, S-class andd LS (and oddly enough-VW hasn't had any entries to contest these three in the States since the Phaeton disappeared). Already stated but should be reiterated.

VW made a bold statement. And it was aimed at all of us Lexus/Infiniti guys. Rebadging a great car is worthless. Burns market dollars and soothes egos for the truly vain among us. I drive an SC400. If it came stateside as a Soarer from the get, my ego WOULD NOT get in the way of me wanting it JUST AS MUCH, if not more, than a Lexus re-badged. You Altezza and Aristo and Crown folks need to look within on that one too.

VW has mega-deep pockets. And American sales don't account for as much of that as people here may want to think. They can afford to make the statement or try again as much as they want.

This one's a stretch. I don't of any/many luxo cars offering all-wheel drive or v-12 powerplants or even deisels as an option to this day. You KNOW VW is going to.

All that being said, I'm excited about the prospect of owning a luxury sedan in the future....after someone else takes the depreciative hit first of course. The LS460 is still at the top of my list for so many reasons, but if this car comes back stateside, it'll be my close #2.

The Phaeton is an effin rockstar still in Europe BTW!!!!

Only bad point-the name sucked. It actaully means 2-door car I was told.....
Well, technically the 1SC was originally designed as a Lexus in Newport Beach, CA, and went to Japan as the Soarer...just sayin'. idk about Altezza/Aristo/Crown.
Old 01-10-11, 06:47 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd choose A8 over this like many stated.