Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW to Bring Back $85,000 Phaeton to U.S. Four Years After Failure (update not coming)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 09:25 PM
LexFather

Post VW to Bring Back $85,000 Phaeton to U.S. Four Years After Failure (update not coming)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...0-phaeton-to-u

This link should work
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...r-failure.html

Volkswagen to Bring Back $85,000 Phaeton to U.S. Four Years After Failure
By Andreas Cremer - Aug 18, 2010 7:05 PM ET

Volkswagen AG plans to bring back the $85,000 Phaeton to the U.S., where the sedan flopped and was withdrawn in 2006, as part of the German carmaker’s aim of tripling its share of the world’s second-largest market by 2018.

“We have our eyes firmly set on the U.S. market,” Juergen Borrmann, director of Volkswagen’s plant in Dresden, Germany, where the Phaeton is built, said in an interview. The model for the U.S. will be completely redesigned and retooled, he said.

Former CEO Bernd Pischetsrieder pulled the Phaeton from the U.S. four years ago after the car failed to meet sales goals and called a 20,000 global target a “pipe dream.” His successor, Martin Winterkorn, later threw his full support behind the model and announced plans to keep the Phaeton. Sales last year fell 27 percent to 4,500 cars.

“The U.S. is a most lucrative market for high-end sedans and VW has to tackle that potential if it wants to credibly expand its U.S. presence,”
said Willi Diez, head of the Nuertingen, Germany-based Institute for Automobile Industry, a state-funded think tank.

Volkswagen this year is introducing an updated Phaeton, which has new front and rear sections, an interior upgrade and a wider selection of engines, as part of the model’s first overhaul since 2007. The face-lifted Phaeton entered European showrooms in June and goes on sale in China next month.

U.S. Losses

VW, Europe’s biggest carmaker, plans to reintroduce the Phaeton in the U.S. when the next generation of the model comes to market, Borrmann said in the Aug. 17 interview, declining to give a timeframe.

Headed for its eighth straight annual loss in the U.S., VW aims to almost triple the carmaker’s share of the U.S. market to 6 percent by 2018 and boost deliveries to 1 million cars, including the Audi luxury unit. U.S. progress is a key component of Winterkorn’s goal of surpassing Toyota Motor Corp. in sales and profitability.

The Phaeton, named after the son of the Greek god Helios, went on sale in 2002, with development costs exceeding 1 billion euros ($1.3 billion). The model was part of an effort by Supervisory Board Chairman Ferdinand Piech, who was then CEO, to make the VW brand more upscale and compete against Bayerische Motoren Werke AG and Daimler AG’s Mercedes-Benz.

Forced Out

Axel Mees, Audi’s North American chief, was forced to leave the company in November 2004 after he criticized the Phaeton and Piech in an interview, saying he would not buy the car because it has a VW logo and was sold at Volkswagen dealerships alongside other volume brands.

Winterkorn, who took over as CEO on Jan. 1, 2007, has rejected criticism from analysts, including Ferdinand Dudenhoeffer of the Center for Automotive Research at the University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany, that the car has failed to compete with BMW and Mercedes while inflicting high development and production costs.

“Without our flagship Phaeton, VW wouldn’t be where we are today in terms of technology and image,” Winterkorn said in April during a presentation of a face-lifted version of the current Phaeton in Beijing.

The Phaeton’s successor may be available by 2013 following the car’s latest revamp, Diez estimated.

Full Capacity

For the first time since the Dresden plant, which does the Phaeton’s final assembly, began operations in 2001, production is running at full capacity and VW will add Saturday shifts to keep up with growing demand, Borrmann said.

“Business is developing very well, we’re headed for a record year,” Borrmann said in his office overlooking the all- glass factory’s assembly line. “We’re looking at a sustained upward trend, a really strong demand curve that’s also manifest in our orders.”

Year-to-date Phaeton sales have risen 15 percent, with China accounting for as much as 70 percent of deliveries, he said. Germany and South Korea, the second- and third-biggest markets for the car, are posting “slight” gains, he added.

The $238 million plant, one of Dresden’s top tourist sites alongside the city’s opera house and late baroque buildings, attracts about 90,000 visitors a year. Customers and potential buyers regularly visit the Dresden plant to discuss features, collect vehicles or simply see the factory, Borrmann said.

Production areas have all-parquet floors with workers wearing white gowns, sometimes even white gloves as they assemble cars by hand. The factory’s most eye-catching building is a 40-meter (131-foot) glass tower where finished Phaetons are parked prior to delivery.

“We’re making the fascination of auto production visible to the outside world,” Borrmann said. “We’re completely laying open the complexity of how our top-end product is being assembled.”

Last edited by LexFather; 08-18-10 at 10:13 PM.

Old 08-18-10, 10:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I saw one on the road the other day...IMO...it is a nice looking car for a badged VW. I've seen only 4, pretty rare car. Same arguments then as now...I suppose. At $55K initial price...it might do a bit better. Forget the W12 although that is probably the better engine option for gear heads.

Last edited by RA40; 08-18-10 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 10:13 PM
LexFather

^^ thanks fixed

Old 08-18-10, 10:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

A couple of problems: Judging from the photos, the car is not changed enough from the last failed Phaeton. So if that one couldn't make it, how is this one going to?
Two: VW's new corporate face is extremely bland and plain. Basic, rectangular air intake openings and rectangular grilles are forgettable and boring. The door area and side profile is even more plain. There is not one kink or curve between the front and rear fenders. This car needed a redesign, not a facelift. In reality, the profile of this car was envisioned back during the 1998 Passat era.
Most importantly, we still have the same exact problem we did in 2003 with the Phaeton costing as much as an Audi A8. I don't see where VW has addressed any of the problems that made the original car fail in the U.S.
Old 08-18-10, 10:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This niche is too saturated in a depressed market.

At those prices, people will be buying cars with Top Tier badges.

The rest are buying it for the love of their favorite brand, even if is unprofitable for the automaker...
Old 08-18-10, 10:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw one the other day here in SoCal, the owner had rebadged it 'Jetta', seriously, instead of the original nameplate at the center trunk area. He has a wry sense of humor.
Old 08-18-10, 11:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Man, I just don't see this thing selling here again. Not that it's a bad car by any means, it's got the tech and engineering up the wazoo. It's just to reiterate what was said earlier, It's all in the name that seems to matter
Old 08-18-10, 11:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The slanted window at the C-pillar...reminds me of the current Avalon but stretched. Now that is a take on Toyota for a FWD variant for the LS460L.

Back to VW...the Phaeton belongs under a different badge. Audi already has an A7-A8...where does this thing fit? The Panamera is nice but it isn't huge...hack the body a bit and slap a P-crest on it.
Old 08-18-10, 11:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
I saw one the other day here in SoCal, the owner had rebadged it 'Jetta', seriously, instead of the original nameplate at the center trunk area. He has a wry sense of humor.
I saw one too that said Jetta. I was with my friend and he made me a bet I was seeing wrong. Caught up to the car and sure enough...
Was it silver?
Old 08-18-10, 11:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This is Volkswagon's Genesis/Equus. I still think Hyundais attempt is better placed
Old 08-19-10, 12:52 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I saw one too that said Jetta. I was with my friend and he made me a bet I was seeing wrong. Caught up to the car and sure enough...
Was it silver?
I'm not sure exactly, as it was very sunny and I was wearing sunglasses, I thought it was a darker color, the thing that I focused on before it zoomed off was "Jetta"...no way though that it was one, definitely a LWB Phaeton.

Yesterday at the supermarket I saw a Camry with the badges removed and "ES 300" put there instead.

On the topic at hand, it seems they didn't learn their lesson. I did sit inside one at an auto show and felt that it was very well-appointed, and genuine feeling. However the VW badge, as nice as it can be, doesn't quite fit.
Old 08-19-10, 02:25 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

front looks too much like the new jetta
Old 08-19-10, 03:16 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Fabulous car, beautifully built.

Won't sell of course, but will make a brilliant secondhand buy once depreciation has taken a massive chunk out of it.
Old 08-19-10, 03:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, given VW's reliability, a second hand VW is anything but a brilliant buy.
Old 08-19-10, 03:52 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

9 of 10 would choose A8 before Phaeton.

Quick Reply: VW to Bring Back $85,000 Phaeton to U.S. Four Years After Failure (update not coming)