Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Study: Ambient interior lighting makes drivers feel safer

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 02:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Study: Ambient interior lighting makes drivers feel safer

Study: Ambient interior lighting makes drivers feel safer

Ambient interior lighting – a feature once reserved for the top-dollar models in many automakers' ranges – is now becoming standard kit on a host of new vehicles. Ford, for example, offers ambient lighting on nearly its entire range of products, as do higher-end manufacturers like Audi and BMW. We've always found this to be a cool feature, if only as a nifty party trick to show your friends, but new studies show that ambient lighting actually enhances the perceived quality of interior materials and even makes drivers feel safer.

In a study conducted by the Lighting Research and Technology journal, drivers were put in a car simulator and were asked to give feedback on their overall spacial perception within the car. Researchers found that each driver's visual senses were improved with the use of interior light – drivers said that the design and finish appeared more attractive, controls were easier to use and that overall, they felt safer. Interestingly, increasing the brightness of the ambient lighting had a negative effect on the test group – instances of distracting glare were reported.

It's no secret that ambient lighting can improve the overall attractiveness of a vehicle's interior, but with the added benefits of improved spacial sense and a subconscious feeling of heightened safety, it's no wonder that more and more new cars are being fitted with extra LEDs inside the cabin. And to think, Meatloaf had it right all this time.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/19/r...rs-feel-safer/
Old 08-19-10, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The basic idea of "ambient" interior lighting is nothing new. I can remember it on some of the big, full-size 1969-1972 Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler cars I grew up with....though it did not cover the whole interior like this. In those old models, the "ambient" part was a gentle white floodlight that covered the whole instrument panel instead of bulbs for individual gauges/controls. I liked the effect, myself, and, yes, it made it pleasant to drive at night.
Old 08-19-10, 06:43 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes it does give the car a more attractive appearance inside and i plan to add a tad bit more of "ambiance" to my LS. But, it don't make me feel any safer than what i already am. I just hope that those manufacturers make their cars as safe as the ambient lighting suggest. We don't need them adding more interior light but taking away airbags while saying: "We have the safest FEELING car in the world".
Old 08-19-10, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
But, it don't make me feel any safer than what i already am. I just hope that those manufacturers make their cars as safe as the ambient lighting suggest. We don't need them adding more interior light but taking away airbags while saying: "We have the safest FEELING car in the world".

Agreed. Safety is not a feeling, but the ability of a car to protect its occupants in an actual crash. Case in point......the big, 20-foot-long Detroit monsters of the late 50s through the late 70's, with tons of metal in them, especially compared to the tiny foreign imports of the period, made their occupants FEEL safer, but, lacking much of today's safety equipment and design, they can't compare with the actual crash-protection of even some of today's small cars.
Old 08-20-10, 02:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had subtle forms of ambient lighting in a Mercedes and a Porsche that I owned recently, it's slightly amusing at best. I noticed no sense of increase safety due to the ambient lighting.

In the modern era (today), I choose safer cars based on knowledge of real data.
Old 08-20-10, 02:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

My 2GS is pretty dark at night. It doesn't help that I have black interior and tinted windows, so I installed a single white LED as my ambient light and it makes me 'feel' tingly inside I have just a dim light shining down the center console. Too much ambient lighting defeats the purpose for me. Might as well turn on your interior light at that point.
Old 08-20-10, 02:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

One thing I do not like about ambient lighting is it can take away from certain gauges that have their own lights. Like when the roof light shines down on the center console, suddenly the lights on each of those buttons becomes a little more washed out. That is not progress in my opinion. I want all my buttons and gauges to shine as brightly as possible.
Old 08-20-10, 10:01 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish the ambient lighting in my LS430 was much better than it is. When I put the car in park, the interior lights up a just enough to see you feet and whatever is in the center console. If only it stayed lit like that while I was driving.
Old 08-21-10, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I've had subtle forms of ambient lighting in a Mercedes and a Porsche that I owned recently, it's slightly amusing at best. I noticed no sense of increase safety due to the ambient lighting.

In the modern era (today), I choose safer cars based on knowledge of real data.
It can actually work in reverse. If one becomes so enthralled with the look/feel of the ambient lighting that he or she keeps looking at the dash and interior at night instead of keeping their eyes on the road, then the potential safety question is obvious. Same with fiddling around with devices like I-Drive, MMI, some NAV systems, and cell-phones whe driving.
Old 08-21-10, 10:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It can actually work in reverse. If one becomes so enthralled with the look/feel of the ambient lighting that he or she keeps looking at the dash and interior at night instead of keeping their eyes on the road, then the potential safety question is obvious. Same with fiddling around with devices like I-Drive, MMI, some NAV systems, and cell-phones whe driving.
That's why ambient lighting in a Porsche or Mercedes is so subtle that it's not a distraction. These 2 companies place a higher priority on safety versus disco effect.

Ambient lighting does not work in reverse when done by leading car manufacturers like Mercedes, Lexus and Porsche.

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-22-10 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-21-10, 10:51 PM
LexFather

I have to admit I love the LED touches in Lexus, BMW, Benz etc. They do add a nice touch inside. Its amazing to see how many people add LEDs to their interiors for a similar effect. I think its a good mod.

I remember Lexus having the LEDs in the GS back in Feb 2005 and I was like "wow" very nice.

Was it one of the first with it?

Old 08-22-10, 07:43 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I think the ambient lighting in the 2IS is cool, but it by no means makes me feel any safer. Most people don't even notice all the ambient lighting in my car. When they notice the ones in the footwells, I tell them that's there so I could check to see if my date has busted toes!!

On a serious note, the ambient lighting in that pic of the Lincoln looks cool for maybe a car show like HIN, but I think that's waaay too much for daily driving.
Old 08-22-10, 04:51 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have to admit I love the LED touches in Lexus, BMW, Benz etc. They do add a nice touch inside. Its amazing to see how many people add LEDs to their interiors for a similar effect. I think its a good mod.

I remember Lexus having the LEDs in the GS back in Feb 2005 and I was like "wow" very nice.

Was it one of the first with it?

The first time i ever saw "ambient" lighting was on a 2000/2001 E class that an old friend had. It made me think what a cool thing to do to an interior. If the E class of that era had them then im sure the S class had it before.
Old 08-22-10, 04:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
[/B]

The first time i ever saw "ambient" lighting was on a 2000/2001 E class that an old friend had. It made me think what a cool thing to do to an interior. If the E class of that era had them then im sure the S class had it before.
My parents own a 2000 S500 (original owners with only 40K on the clock so far). If my memory serves me right, it doesn't have ambient lighting.
Old 08-22-10, 06:06 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
My parents own a 2000 S500 (original owners with only 40K on the clock so far). If my memory serves me right, it doesn't have ambient lighting.
I'm pretty sure all W220s have ambient lighting.

I love the soft amber/off-white glow of the Mercedes ambient lighting. Lights up the cabin in just the right areas and the color makes it feel very warm and inviting. I like Audi's red lighting as well.

Not a big fan of the blue ambient lighting or other harsh colors.

Quick Reply: Study: Ambient interior lighting makes drivers feel safer