Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Builds More Cars Here Than There - News

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 02:24 PM
LexFather

Post Honda Builds More Cars Here Than There - News

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-new...ere-than-there

Honda Builds More Cars Here Than There - News
What’s more, Camry and Accord are the most American of all.
By Dennis Simanaitis
August 4, 2010

In the second quarter of this year, Honda built 236,819 cars in the U.S., a dry bit of data until you realize that in the same time frame it built 236,559 cars back in Japan. It’s a tiny edge. It may not last for the whole year. But it’s the first time that Honda produced more cars here in the U.S. than at home.
The background is also compelling: Japan’s home market continues to shrink, while U.S. sales appear to have bottomed out and are experiencing a slow uptick. According to the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Assoc., which keeps tab of such things, its members now operate 31 U.S. manufacturing plants and have 34 major R&D facilities here.
Automakers are truly international businesses; all of them. For example, a Toyota and a Honda built here beat out the likes of Ford, GM and Chrysler in terms of domestic content. Top of the list compiled by Cars.com is the Toyota Camry built in Georgetown, Kentucky, and Lafayette, Indiana. Second is the Honda Accord, among those 236,819 cited above, built in Marysville, Ohio, and Lincoln, Alabama. First “domestic” nameplates are the Ford Escape and Focus in third and fourth place, then the Chevrolet Malibu and, further down the list, the Dodge Ram 1500 truck.
Domestic parts content information is posted along side the window sticker of all new cars; this, as part of the American Automobile Labeling Act of 1994. Identified is the percentage, by cost, of parts originating in the U.S. and Canada.

Old 08-21-10, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Much of the American public simply doesn't understand the realities of the car industry and market today. I have to constantly point out stats like this to those who, inaccurately, still claim that, to "buy American", you have to buy a Ford, GM, or Chrysler-badged vehicle like several decades ago....they seem to be stuck in a time-warp. It gets to be like a broken phonograph record after a while. The fact is that many non-U.S. auto companies contribute a lot to the American economy, both by building cars here with American laborers, and with the use of domestically-produced parts sub-content.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-10 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 06:42 PM
LexJaq
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good points, mmarshall.
Old 08-22-10, 07:04 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlCKLEX
Good points, mmarshall.
O.K, now we have two 1SICKLEX. This guy only have 4 posts.
Old 08-22-10, 07:08 PM
LexJaq
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
O.K, now we have two 1SICKLEX. This guy only have 4 posts.
Just having fun. I can change my screen name, if this setup is too confusing.
Old 08-22-10, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SlCKLEX
Just having fun. I can change my screen name, if this setup is too confusing.
It is a little confusing (and, yes, it fooled me at first), but, if you look closely, Mike's (1SICKLEX)'s screen name is slightly different. He uses a capital "I"....you use a small "L" (l).

But, of course, we can't tell you to change your screen name....whether you do or not is a matter between you and the moderators.
Old 08-22-10, 09:32 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

At first I thought maybe they kicked him out from the moderating team. Then I saw the post count It definately can get confusing, maybe changing "1SlCKLEX" to "2SlCKLEX" will solve the problem
Old 08-22-10, 09:33 PM
LexFather

^^^The member was PM'd and is changing his name.

Old 08-23-10, 11:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Much of the American public simply doesn't understand the realities of the car industry and market today. I have to constantly point out stats like this to those who, inaccurately, still claim that, to "buy American", you have to buy a Ford, GM, or Chrysler-badged vehicle like several decades ago....they seem to be stuck in a time-warp. It gets to be like a broken phonograph record after a while. The fact is that many non-U.S. auto companies contribute a lot to the American economy, both by building cars here with American laborers, and with the use of domestically-produced parts sub-content.
Good points, especially when seen from the tech capital of the world.
Old 08-23-10, 11:57 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

japanese cars are built in america/canada.

american cars are built in mexico.
Old 08-23-10, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jetfire
japanese cars are built in america/canada.

american cars are built in mexico.
It's a whole lot more complex than that, but I don't have time here to go into all of the details. But, in general, "American" cars, depending on the model, are built all over the world. Some of the largest Buick plants, for example, are in China, where Buicks are considered prestige cars by the Chinese public.