Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Electronic Throttle Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-10, 02:05 PM
maficrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Throttle Control

I'm curious if anyone has a better understanding of the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) systems specifically within the Lexus vehicles. I drive a 2006 GS430 and my wife has a 2007 RX350. I know the ETC are present in pretty much all new cars and basically work the same way. However, I don't like the "hesitation" that I feel at times, especially when accerating quickly.

I recall speaking to one of the service advisors at the local Lexus dealership about 1 year ago and he mentioned to me he drove a 2007 GS that he had the mechanic do some tweaking on the ETC, that alleviated this problem and improved performance.

Would appreciate any feedback. If any lexus mechanics out there, please chime in as well. thanks
Old 08-21-10, 02:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The lag is present pretty much on all vehicles with such system. It's not even that bad on Lexus compared to some other makes, and no vehicle has that instant responce and connected feel as the good old cable throttle.
Old 08-21-10, 04:01 PM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The lag is present pretty much on all vehicles with such system. It's not even that bad on Lexus compared to some other makes, and no vehicle has that instant responce and connected feel as the good old cable throttle.
That is the truth right there. At least Lexus has the sport/pwr button to help sharpen up throttle response, some of the other vehicles in our house don't have such an option.
Old 08-21-10, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

My 2001 IS300 had a drive-by-wire throttle and it worked fine, except for a big lag/flat spot on rolling starts from 5-10 MPH or so. If you came to a complete stop, though, or got it slow enough for the transmission to hit first gear, and then took off, it was more or less normal. The actual problem was never explained by Lexus in complete detail (and computer relashes didn't help much), but, from what I was able to gather, it could have been the system going into winter/snow mode inadvertantly, cutting the engine torque way back to prevent wheelspin.

The ES330 (and some ES300 models) some similiar drive-by-wire problems, but I don't know them in as great a detail, since I didn't own one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-21-10 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 07:20 PM
LexJaq
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I agree. It could be close in terms of throttle response, if they wanted them to be. But emissions and fuel economy are a bigger priority.
Old 08-23-10, 04:30 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My 2001 IS300 had a drive-by-wire throttle and it worked fine, except for a big lag/flat spot on rolling starts from 5-10 MPH or so. If you came to a complete stop, though, or got it slow enough for the transmission to hit first gear, and then took off, it was more or less normal. The actual problem was never explained by Lexus in complete detail (and computer relashes didn't help much), but, from what I was able to gather, it could have been the system going into winter/snow mode inadvertantly, cutting the engine torque way back to prevent wheelspin.

The ES330 (and some ES300 models) some similiar drive-by-wire problems, but I don't know them in as great a detail, since I didn't own one.
Actually, the first gen. IS had a type of hybrid throttle control system. It was actually half cable and half servo controlled.
Old 08-23-10, 09:25 PM
LexFather

VDIM is much much better than the old VSC. However VSC was always defeatable with a switch and VDIM wasn't always defeatable.

Cars need a LSD