Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Porsche Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-10, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thank you for the review Mike!
Sure. Anytime.

I am one of the few (or many, depending on who you talk to) that doesn't like the profile of the Panamera. Perhaps I'm a bit of a purist who like the traditional svelte lines of a 2-door Porsche, but I am slowly getting accustomed to the bulbous rear 3/4 of the Panamera. It looks a bit bloated in photos, but the car is quite proportionate in person.
It's not bad-looking for a 4-door...one of the sleekest-looking ones I've seen. It's almost as sleek-looking as a 2-door 911. And, (though this is subjective) it's sure better-looking, IMO, than the Mercedes CLS or VW CC....which also tried coupe-styling with a 4-door.

That slightly-bulbous rear end on the Panamera you're talking about was probably done for rear head room.....and it works. A 911-shaped rear probably wouldn't have allowed it to acomodate adults.

I haven't test driven this car yet, and your review tempts me to do so. I have sat in one, and I agree with your points regarding fit, finish, and space. I find the center console a bit too overwhelming (it's very busy and complex looking, but so does the LS460).
If you're used to driving Boxster/Caymans and 911s, the Panamera will feel larger, heavier, and more nose-heavy, which, of course, it is.

The Panamera is a difficult niche product. It's not really a luxo-limo like the LS, 7-Series, or S-Class; but priced as such. It's significantly pricier than a CLS-Class (four door coupe idea), but also significantly more sport oriented, unless if we're talking about the CLS63 AMG. Only the Rapide falls into the same category, but hovering near $200k, it's really in a league of its own. I think that the upcoming Audi A7 (possibly Panamera based?) will broaden the field. Should Lexus do the same with their own version?
Agreed on most of your points above (as I stated in the review). I'll hold more comment on the A7 until I see it....I don't know much about it right now. As for a Lexus competitor, I'm not sure if there is a market for it right now. The GS and LS have both been quite successful, and I'm not sure Lexus would want to do something that would impact either of their sales, though, of course, neither the GS or LS is as sport-oriented as the Panamera.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-10 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-23-10, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Great review as always Mike, several key points/observations

Well done!
Thanks, Russ.

Again, try as I might, my personal preference is I just don't find this car more appealing than an A8 or 7-series. Inside, it's done perfectly... but I still have to look at it before I get into it. Handles great, but as mentioned above so do the Audi quattros, and as you stated fair-weather fans don't need it, but in WI a big factor for me. For a car in this climate ( snow/icy winters), the Audi S6 would be my choice over the Panamera 4 or 4S.

Part of it depends on tires. AWD alone isn't necessarily a magic wand in bad weather if you have summer-only, ultra-high-performance rubber with little or no wet-weather traction (those tires also can wear very quickly). You'll want to go to all-season or winter tires as well.

For a daily driver, I agree with you.....I'd also probably chose an Audi Quattro over a Porsche. Audis, of course, are not cheap to own either, but Porsches can be prohibitively expensive for parts/service, when not free or the warranty expires.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-10 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-23-10, 07:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
If you'd like to see Panamera pitted against it's direct competitors, watch top gear season 15, episode 3, where JC and his crew pitted Panamera, Maserati Quattroporte, and Aston Martin Rapide against each other.
Thanks for bringing up the Quattroporte as a potential competitor, Och...I had forgotten about that one. And, of course, expensive as it is, it is cheaper than the mega-dollar Aston Martin Rapide.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-10 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-23-10, 09:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm willing to go out on a limb and speculate that Porsche will do some styling updates to partially address the ugly rear end before the total restyle scheduled for many years from now.
Old 08-23-10, 09:31 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no! nein! nyet!
Old 08-23-10, 10:32 AM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

Thanks for the review.

I'm one of those who at first didn't like the Panamera though after seeing them up close, it has grown on me. A P-car buddy has been telling me to take one out and let him know what my impressions are. This review motivates me to set foot into a dealer. Past visits to Porsche I felt they were pretty snobbish. The sales guy warmed up a bit after talking to me about a 997 variant but overall, quite reserved as if we were both sizing each other up.
Old 08-23-10, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I'm willing to go out on a limb and speculate that Porsche will do some styling updates to partially address the ugly rear end before the total restyle scheduled for many years from now.

I agree that a total restyle will (probably) take quite some time....like it or not, that's just the way that Porsche operates. Once they introduce a new model, they tend to keep the general looks around for decades, instead of redoing it every 4 or 5 years like Honda or Toyota. Porsche, of course, is a relatively small company, and, even considering the high prices of its vehicles, simply doesn't have the extra capital tor frequent re-tooling....and much of the money it has left over goes into racing and Formula 1.

But, over and above that, it begs the question of how much the Panamera rear end really needs to be re-done. Styling, of course, is subjective...your opinion is as good as anyone else's. But, if you consider that Porsche was trying to do what is essentially a front-engined, 5-door hatchback with Cayman/911-type styling, I think they did an excellent job overall. Yes, the rear end does look a little more bloated than the Cayman/911, but we're not talking Honda Crosstour or BMW 550 GT here. And, by keeping the rear roofline higher than in the Cayman/911, with less droop-down, they not only increased cargo area in the rear (something that the 911, with its rear-engine, doesn't have at all), but rear-seat headroom as well. Even at my rather large size (6' 2"", 270 lb), I can fit in the back of the Panamera with my baseball cap with comfort......something I can't say for some other 4-doors, even those with more-conservative, SUV-type, higher rooflines.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-10 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-23-10, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
Thanks for the review.
Sure...anytime.

I'm one of those who at first didn't like the Panamera though after seeing them up close, it has grown on me.
It's about as good-looking, IMO, as a 4-door Porsche can get.

A P-car buddy has been telling me to take one out and let him know what my impressions are. This review motivates me to set foot into a dealer. Past visits to Porsche I felt they were pretty snobbish. The sales guy warmed up a bit after talking to me about a 997 variant but overall, quite reserved as if we were both sizing each other up.
Yes, Porsche dealers (along with BMW and Mercedes) were once the cream of the crop when it came to snobbishness and being aristocratic. Even today, the prices they charge for parts/repair/service can be outrageous. But the general attutude towards customers coming in, looking at new cars, has, in general, improved quite a bit in, say, the last 10 years or so. There are a few snobs left, but, in general, things are much better in that department. They are finding out, like Saturn and Lexus did did back in the 1990's, that it is easier to sell cars with honey than it is with vinegar.

I see you are in CA. Like here in the D.C. area, there should be a number of Porsche dealers to choose from, especially in SoCal, if you are in that region. SoCal and the D.C. area are the two largest new-car markets in the country. If you don't like the way one Porsche shop treats you, just try another. And, even in the same dealership, salespeople often vary quite a bit in their customer atitudes...if one doesn't meet your expectations, the one right next to him or her might.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-10 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 11:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But, over and above that, it begs the question of how much the Panamera rear end really needs to be re-done.
Porsche went practical? Function over form? Seems odd for a brand like Porsche.

But all of the reviews that I have read about the Panamera's rear seat comfort have all been quite positive for what it is.

Does the rear 3/4 design affect sales? I don't think we can ever answer that question objectively. We know it's pretty roomy back there, but we also know that the eye can see the visual disproportion.

I guess it has to work for now...
Old 08-23-10, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Porsche went practical? Function over form? Seems odd for a brand like Porsche.
After the Cayenne, some years ago, shocked everyone (including me), the notion of a Porsche 5-door hatchback with Cayman/911 styling seems almost superfluous in comparison.

But all of the reviews that I have read about the Panamera's rear seat comfort have all been quite positive for what it is.
And you can add my review to that, too. While not a Town-Car limo, I too, found the back seat relatively roomy, plush, and comfortable, even at my size.
Old 08-23-10, 12:13 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

One of my initial concerns for this car was a reasonable "trunk" space. I've preferred the traditional trunk and this hatch back was not completely to my liking. As my buddy relayed, I might be quite surprised what it will hold. Folding the seats he joked with me that I go to Costco and buy a flat screen. 44 cuft I vaguely recollect so it would work as a Costco shopping car. This pales the 460 though 18 cuft is quite good.

He knows I'm a Lexus guy so he said take the 460L out first than drive the Panamera. The options really rack it up where in the 460, it is near standard. Playing with Porsche's configurator, my preferences came in just a tick from $90K usually hovering at $86K in a minimalist sense. That is a whole lot of $$ and for as long as I keep cars, this still seems like a hard swallow. I'm unsure as a long term driver.

A Panamera is doubtful but this is an amusing thought for the time being. I do have uses for the 2+3 seating in the rear which in this case the Panamera will not accommodate.

Once I build up some nerve, I'll head in and see about a test drive.
Old 08-23-10, 12:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

And you can add my review to that, too. While not a Town-Car limo, I too, found the back seat relatively roomy, plush, and comfortable, even at my size.
I found it to be roomy enough too. But I know a key trick (also used on the CLS) is to mount the rear seat cushion very low when compared to S-class, 7 series, LS.
Old 08-23-10, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
Once I build up some nerve, I'll head in and see about a test drive.
Check dealer stock first, either on-line in the dealer's web-site, or by calling them. You'll want to make sure they have Panameras in stock, first.

Wear some nice clothes, look good, and go there calm and with an air of professionalism. Show them, without being arrogant or ostentatious, that you have some idea of what you are doing....and saying. Dealerships that sell expensive vehicles usually like people that look, act, talk, and drive maturely....they know that people like that can usually be trusted behind the wheel, and won't abuse their vehicles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-10 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I found it to be roomy enough too. But I know a key trick (also used on the CLS) is to mount the rear seat cushion very low when compared to S-class, 7 series, LS.

Scalloping-out the backs of the front seats also helps with knee room, but I didn't see any of that in the Panamera.
Old 08-23-10, 12:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wear some nice clothes, look good, and go there calm and with an air of professionalism. Show them, without being arrogant or ostentatious, that you have some idea of what you are doing....and saying. Dealerships that sell expensive vehicles usually like people that look, act, talk, and drive maturely....they know that people like that can usually be trusted behind the wheel.
Most of that is not needed if you show up in a nice car. In fact on the weekends most qualified customers will not be wearing nice clothes or looking especially good. The best Porsche salespeople can see through the veneer. A bit too much stereotyping here.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Porsche Panamera