Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Porsche Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-10, 12:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Scalloping-out the backs of the front seats also helps with knee room, but I didn't see any of that in the Panamera.
Because it's not needed. Headroom was the challenge, not kneeroom. That's why the last design changes that made the car a bit ungainly raised to rear roofline without a complete restyle. And the rear seat cushion is lower than the competing sedans (not including the more expensive AM of course).
Old 08-23-10, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Most of that is not needed if you show up in a nice car. In fact on the weekends most qualified customers will not be wearing nice clothes or looking especially good. The best Porsche salespeople can see through the veneer. A bit too much stereotyping here.
Still doesn't hurt.

In fact, when I bought my Lexus IS300, I first went in some rather casual clothes, and, even with the auto knowledge I have (which, of course, many others on CL also have, including you), they didn't really know if I was serious until I showed up the next night with my checkbook.
Old 08-23-10, 12:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Still doesn't hurt.

In fact, when I bought my Lexus IS300, I first went in some rather casual clothes, and, even with the auto knowledge I have (which, of course, many others on CL also have, including you), they didn't really know if I was serious until I showed up the next night with my checkbook.
Yes, dressing reasonably nice never hurts.

Just bring your American Express Gold/Platinum/Black card, that doesn't hurt and is more effective.

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-23-10 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 12:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, dressing reasonably nice never hurts.

Just bring your American Express Gold/Platinum/Black card, that doesn't hurt and is more effective.
Anyone can max out a card, but paying cash for a car out of a checkbook is another matter....and interest-free.

Anyhow, we're both getting ahead of ourselves.....and him. I think he just, for now, wants a test-drive....and is not ready to talk a serious deal.
Old 08-23-10, 12:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Anyone can max out a card, but paying cash for a car out of a checkbook is another matter....and interest-free.
Not everybody can have a A.E. card with no limits (to max out), is another matter and the balance has to be paid in full every month...., and interest-free. No need to carry the checkbook, you write one check at end of month.

Carrying around the checkbook is not needed. Dealerships will gladly take a small deposit a credit card and require you to come in with check (for full amount) in specified number of days. I've purchased several cars that way (recorded as cash sale).

Now back to the Pamamera (after side-tracking on car-buying 101, for those that might need it)...

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-23-10 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 02:41 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish i had the dough for even the base model! Nice review
Old 08-23-10, 02:50 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not everybody can have a A.E. card with no limits (to max out), is another matter and the balance has to be paid in full every month...., and interest-free. No need to carry the checkbook, you write one check at end of month.

Carrying around the checkbook is not needed. Dealerships will gladly take a small deposit a credit card and require you to come in with check (for full amount) in specified number of days. I've purchased several cars that way (recorded as cash sale).

Now back to the Pamamera (after side-tracking on car-buying 101, for those that might need it)...
Can you really pay with A.E gold for a car purchase? I always though that the max you can pay with a card is about 2k on a car.
Old 08-23-10, 03:07 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
Can you really pay with A.E gold for a car purchase? I always though that the max you can pay with a card is about 2k on a car.
I think it depends on the dealership, but they don't want you using credit cards of vehicle purchases because the fees they pay are based on the dollar value. Obviously, the higher the transaction the higher the fee.

Our BMW dealership typically only allows $2K on a purchase, but after asking nicely they let me put $5K on my card and we had to write a cheque for the other portion of the downpayment.
Old 08-23-10, 03:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, depends on the dealership and the price of the car. Regardless, carrying around a checkbook is not necessary and not recommended. Cash transactions can easily be accommodated with actual check for full balance placed in dealer's hands several days after delivery.
Old 08-23-10, 05:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

wow, a popular thread!

mike - that's IMO your best review yet. thank you! ok i'm biased because i think the panamera is the best engineered 4 door luxury sports sedan ever made. if i had the bucks, i'd get one. maybe some day.

and glad your 'incident' didn't turn out bad!

Originally Posted by Och
I don't know about handling, but as far as the ride and steering feel combination, my favorite would be MB S-class equipped with adjustable air suspension. There's not a single car that I've driven (Benley Continental, 745, LS460, CL600) that has the granite feel of the S class and effortless yet stable ride and steering. You can take that thing to 120mph on the highway, changing lanes, and its just as easy and unnerving as cruising.
the s-class with active suspension is awesome. when i saw motorweek's test drive of the panamera though, i was ASTOUNDED at how completely flat the car was through the slalom and fast lane change maneuvers.

Originally Posted by 1SlCKLEX
And people thought that the Crosstour was ugly.
lol, you're so wrong. your loathing of the panamera butt will fade in time and of course porsche will refresh it at some point.
Old 08-23-10, 06:47 PM
LexFather

^^^ That wasn't me, it was my knock-off..

Mike great review. The Panamera is a car of future interest. What really puzzles me is now 5th seat and I actually use it from time to time. I understand its a Porsche and most won't use it but it is a sedan.

I still am not fond over the looks, even after reviewing in person. However what is sexy is the engineering exercise. Porsche really did a great job with some weight savings techniques. The interior is glorious. The boot actually IS USEFUL.

In contrast the CrossTurd and ZitDX are just ugly to be ugly with no performance or superior engineering. Then they have no utility and they are SUVs/Crossovers.

Form follows function with the Panamera

Old 08-23-10, 07:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ That wasn't me, it was my knock-off..
At least you got a knock off
Old 08-23-10, 07:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
At least you got a knock off
Oh you're popular. A few of us texted about the shamwow post. That was epic

Sorry MIke....

Great review again. Would you buy one? We don't get the manual here but Europe gets a manual in some versions.

Old 08-23-10, 09:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrMut
Wish i had the dough for even the base model! Nice review
Thanks.

It's a great car, but I'm not sure it's worth the sum Porsche is asking for it. (80-150K, of course, could be put to a lot of other good uses) Still, it's a lot cheaper than its Aston Martin competition.
Old 08-23-10, 09:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

mike - that's IMO your best review yet. thank you! ok i'm biased because i think the panamera is the best engineered 4 door luxury sports sedan ever made. if i had the bucks, i'd get one. maybe some day.
Sure, Paul....anytime. I did it at the request of a close friend of mine. He liked it too....E mailed me (he's a non-CL member) and said he liked it more than any review since the Lotus Elise 3 years ago (I still remember shoehorning, at my size, in and out of that tiny-tot car).

And, just for you, for your kind words, I'll put the new Ford Explorer on my list.

and glad your 'incident' didn't turn out bad!
Yeah. Several factors were at work....a great steering/suspension/braking system on Porsche's part, alertness on my part, the fact that I wasn't driving the faster Turbo model, and, of course, a higher power than me.....remember, I did this review on my way home from church.

the s-class with active suspension is awesome. when i saw motorweek's test drive of the panamera though, i was ASTOUNDED at how completely flat the car was through the slalom and fast lane change maneuvers.
The low center of gravity, of course, helps. This car sits lower than most of its M-B, Audi, and BMW competition, and, of course, is more sport-oriented. However, the good handling does not seem to come at the expense of a big loss in ride comfort, although it is obviously not a Lexus LS460.

But, given how this car rides/handles, and the way much of its other German competiton does, I get more and more convinced all the time that the Germans have the best chassis engneers in the world...though, as I've said before, the Hyundai Genesis 3.8 track coupe, at 30-32K, is also very impressive..

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Porsche Panamera