Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Say It Isn't So... 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs New M3!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 12:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by J.P.
Love the GT, what a ride!!!

But if I was in the M3 market I do not think I would cross shop them much.

The weight of the GT is what catches me!
Yeah M3 for me.

Old 08-24-10, 12:07 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But if I was not in the M3 market and just wanted a blast to drive on the cheap, the GT is looking like a fun *** car! See lots of modded up stangs here being in the D.

Including the super snake!
Old 08-24-10, 12:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Ford has done an amazing job with the current mustang. The fact that its even being uttered in the same sentence as the M3 is compliment enough. Good job Ford
Old 08-24-10, 01:58 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
Amazing to see the handling of the new Mustang. We all know Ford can make them go fast, but wow.

I will say this. How old is the M3 now... 2-4 years? BMW set the mark, and just now the Ford caught it. Mercs AMG did not and the IS-F could not match its overall performance. Track and straight line.

But the problem is that BMW will just up the bar next time and it will be 3-4 years after the new M3 is out that everyone will catch up.

Amazing performance from a NON Cobra Mustang. I wonder what the new Cobra will be like?!?!?!
Here's the kicker though....
MB/AMG and Lexus can't match it at the same price point. Even if it took Ford 2 years to match the performance, they did it for $30k less!

True, most M3 buyers wont be cross-shopping the Mustang, but then again, the average buyer can afford the GT. I see a lot of M3 owners getting surprised at stoplights in the near future.
Old 08-24-10, 01:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

im anxiously waiting for a Hitler finds out Mustang GT only .09 seconds behind BMW M3 video

in the meantime, enjoy this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpEC...layer_embedded
Old 08-24-10, 02:09 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

lame question here, why is it so hard for manufactuerers to get that tight, firm, "on rails" feel that bmw seems to easily get with most of their cars ? after all these years u figure it would be somewhat easy and standard to achieve no ?
Old 08-24-10, 02:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
lame question here, why is it so hard for manufacturers to get that tight, firm, "on rails" feel that BMW seems to easily get with most of their cars ? after all these years u figure it would be somewhat easy and standard to achieve no ?
Because that tight, firm feel comes with a price. They use a lot of lightweight alloy parts, and use a lot less rubber bushings to connect suspension parts to the sub-frame and each other. Such suspension setup is perfect for German autobahn, but not well suited for USA's often beat up city roads.

They take too much abuse, and you often start having major suspension problems before you reach 100k miles. On the last gen 3 series it was so bad in fact, that many of them had the subframe separate from the chassis. There was a class action suit against BMW, that was settled in 2009, where BMW agreed to cover all costs of repairs for this issue.
Old 08-24-10, 02:33 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

oh snaps I didn't know this....I guess thats why they say never own a bmw and benz after the warranty expires.

Originally Posted by Och
Because that tight, firm feel comes with a price. They use a lot of lightweight alloy parts, and use a lot less rubber bushings to connect suspension parts to the sub-frame and each other. Such suspension setup is perfect for German autobahn, but not well suited for USA's often beat up city roads.

They take too much abuse, and you often start having major suspension problems before you reach 100k miles. On the last gen 3 series it was so bad in fact, that many of them had the subframe separate from the chassis. There was a class action suit against BMW, that was settled in 2009, where BMW agreed to cover all costs of repairs for this issue.
Old 08-24-10, 04:46 PM
markkin
Rookie

Originally Posted by J.P.
Love the GT, what a ride!!!

But if I was in the M3 market I do not think I would cross shop them much.

The weight of the GT is what catches me!
Check again
According to MotorTrend, the 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 is 70 lb heavier, yet according to BMWUSA.com, BMW M3 weights in at 3704 lbs, and the 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 GT weights in at 3653 lbs - need source.

BMW M3 3,652 lb 14/20 MPG Less Dependable Status Symbol

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 3,612 lb 17/26 MPG More Dependable Not a Status Symbol

JD Power - http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...tings-by-brand
BMW Dependablity: PowerTrain 3/5
Body & Interior 3/5
Feature & Accessory 3/5

Ford Dependablity: PowerTrain 3/5
Body & Interior 4/5
Feature & Accessory 4/5

Why is the BMW worth more? Better interior? How do you measure better interior? Is it subjective? I am guessing the reason why most people buy BMW is for the status symbol. Thus, there is no cross shopping.

If people consider the 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 a muscle car, then the BMW M3 is a muscle car too right?

Last edited by markkin; 08-24-10 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-24-10, 05:12 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

catches me as in, its nice to see ford cutting weight, I thought the old stang was heavier by a lot
Old 08-24-10, 05:58 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Yxf...ayer_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tnIe...eature=channel
Old 08-24-10, 06:25 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
I'm impressed!
But would you buy one.
I might because I came up in the muscle car era.
But I love some luxury with my sport and would prolly go with the slower G37. Ya never know with me though.
Nice wheels, kit and drop and they got the right look.
Old 08-24-10, 07:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm kinda confused by some people here poo-pooing the Mustang's weight. The M3 weighs about the same if not slightly more. Why does the M3 get a pass here and the Mustang doesn't?

FWIW I drove a 2009 V6 Mustang rental car and actually found the ride more comfortable than my 2007 BMW 335i. The M3 rides stiffer than my 335i did, and the GT rides stiffer than the V6, but still, I doubt the M3 is much more refined from a ride standpoint.

In terms of that hard to quantify 'connected to the road' feeling that BMWs all seem to have that makes novice drivers look more pro than they really are... yeah that's pretty much the main advantage I think the M3 still has. Though I say that having not had the chance to get behind the wheel of a new GT. Maybe it's easy to read too.

I also like the new GT's interior just as well as the M3... possibly better!

Still... the GT is half the freakin' price. I think we can cut it a little slack in a couple of these categories and still say it has won this 'comparison' by a land slide unless money is little to no object for you. But in that case you're probably not looking at either of these two cars are you...

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

I guess that's from a C&D comparison or something?

In the Motortrend video the specs are slightly more in the Mustang's favor

0-60
M3:4.4 sec
Stang: 4.4 sec

1/4 mile
M3: 12.8sec @ 110.9mph
Stang: 12.7 sec @ 111.6 mph

60-0
M3: 110 ft
Stang: 108 ft

Skidpad
M3: .95g
Stang: .96g

Figure-8
M3: 25.1 sec @ .74g
Stang: 24.9 @ .76g
Old 08-24-10, 08:58 PM
LexFather

MT has 3544 for the M3 in the Sept issue....
Yahoo says 3704
http://autos.yahoo.com/2011_bmw_m3_coupe-specs/

And for all the CF roof of the M3, I can't find the weight on their site

Old 08-24-10, 10:49 PM
stick
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
MT has 3544 for the M3 in the Sept issue....
Yahoo says 3704
http://autos.yahoo.com/2011_bmw_m3_coupe-specs/

And for all the CF roof of the M3, I can't find the weight on their site

Edmunds and KBB list the M3 sedan as 3726 lbs and the coupe as 3704 lbs. In the Top Gear comparo of the M3 and IS-f, Clarkson said the M3 was 200 lbs lighter than the IS-F, which would make it about 3580 lbs.....where are these lighter weights for the M3 coming from?

Back on topic......the new Mustang is awesome! Great bang for the buck! I like the new styling too.

Quick Reply: Say It Isn't So... 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs New M3!