Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai to offer AWD in Genesis and Equos!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 02:16 PM
jason60050
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hyundai to offer AWD in Genesis and Equos!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-...s-genesis.html

Possibly another nail in the coffins of the already well known Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes it looks like Hyundai is really trying hard to move up the luxury ladder quickly. I wouldn't mind driving a Genesis with a 5.0 and AWD along with a new 8 speed tranny!!!
Old 08-25-10, 02:28 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

very very nice!
Old 08-25-10, 02:45 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Yeah Lexus should wake up and realize people would buy a V8 with AWD..

OR i guess they could just let Merc and Hyundai take that market share.

Thats partly why I am not driving a newer GS.
Old 08-25-10, 02:46 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

They are really rushing things in my opinion. Its like theyre bumrushing the industry with all different models at once and really dont know if any of them can compete thoroughly. Slow your roll Hyundai, you get there.
Old 08-25-10, 02:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice additions (options), not a nail in coffin for anybody (Benz, BMW, Lexus). The AWD versions sold will be a very small portion of total sales.

Note: Mercedes E550 AWD (5.5L V8) currently available.
Old 08-25-10, 02:54 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Nice additions (options), not a nail in coffin for anybody (Benz, BMW, Lexus). The AWD versions sold will be a very small portion of total sales.

BIG +1
Old 08-25-10, 03:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree. This won't revolutionize anything, but it will give them nice offerings for buyers who want AWD for a variety of reasons.
Old 08-25-10, 03:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
Yeah Lexus should wake up and realize people would buy a V8 with AWD..
LS460 AWD exists since 2009...

BTW: the article states AWD for the Genesis V8, not the V6. Any confirmation? Lexus has always had a GS300/350 AWD, and now the IS350 has an AWD variant.
Old 08-25-10, 03:50 PM
LexFather

This...

Genesis sedan and coupe not meeting sales targets. Too embarresed to sell the Equus at dealerships so they will be at customers homes, then maybe 1,000 a year.

Nail in coffin? Far from it. If anything its another slap in the face and nail in the coffin of tier 2, 3 brands like Saab, Acura, Lincoln, Infiniti, Volvo etc

Old 08-25-10, 03:52 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This...

Genesis sedan and coupe not meeting sales targets. Too embarresed to sell the Equus at dealerships so they will be at customers homes, then maybe 1,000 a year.

Nail in coffin? Far from it. If anything its another slap in the face and nail in the coffin of tier 2, 3 brands like Saab, Acura, Lincoln, Infiniti, Volvo etc
Not meeting sales targets? That might explain why I haven't seen one Genesis coupe in Southern California yet.
Old 08-25-10, 05:06 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That's great but I still won't buy one.
Old 08-25-10, 05:18 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Not meeting sales targets? That might explain why I haven't seen one Genesis coupe in Southern California yet.
More then a few of them here in GA, 1st time I actually saw a V8 Genesis on the streets was here in GA and it's a pretty impressive looking car, my home in NY they give Genesis away at the dealer, ridiculous deals, my old man did not want the Genesis which they where practically giving away cause it lacked AWD, the 3.8 sedan is on dealer lots in NY, the 4.6/V8 has to be ordered but the Hyundai dealers are horrible, a steel shed for a building, and it's the lowest quality shed, Hyundai would probably gain a lot of luxury car buyers with a nicer dealer network.
Old 08-25-10, 08:18 PM
Mugen_1
Instructor

I found out this news in a Car & Driver text ha.

Since the Genesis Coupe's 2.0 liter Theta engine is sourced from the Mitsubishi Evolution...maybe they could just throw a modified version of the Evo's AWD system underneath?

I don't care what anyone says about it being a copycat, I like the Equus. I was just reading in the last issue of Automobile about Hyundai's complete turnaround since the introduction of the ironically named Excel. It really is quite the success story.
Old 08-25-10, 08:39 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
I found out this news in a Car & Driver text ha.

Since the Genesis Coupe's 2.0 liter Theta engine is sourced from the Mitsubishi Evolution...maybe they could just throw a modified version of the Evo's AWD system underneath?

I don't care what anyone says about it being a copycat, I like the Equus. I was just reading in the last issue of Automobile about Hyundai's complete turnaround since the introduction of the ironically named Excel. It really is quite the success story.
I still haven't heard anything good about them past 50,000+ miles. Their quality control issues are still there, apparently. It's like Audi in the early/mid-2000's.

Here in DFW, TX I've seen quite a few of the Genesis Coupe. AWD will make hardly a difference here.

Am I reading incorrectly, or did that article not say anything about the Genesis Coupe getting AWD?

Last edited by E6BAV8R; 08-25-10 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-25-10, 08:48 PM
Mugen_1
Instructor

Yeah I could see AWD not making a difference in Texas. But where I live, we can get some pretty brutal winters, and my LS400 doesn't like them very much, even with its winter wheels and tires on.

I didn't read the article, but Car & Driver said in their text message that the Coupe would be getting AWD as well.

Quick Reply: Hyundai to offer AWD in Genesis and Equos!