Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I have my Genesis, GREAT car

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 10:29 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Genesis sedan. Congratulations on the new Hyundai.
Old 08-27-10, 10:37 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Setting up a new dealership brand to handle Genesis sales is a valid point. However, there are several things that must be considered before going that direction.

First is the fact that such a dealership would only have one car to sell, even though it does come in V6 and V8 models. The Genesis is a low volume car, and I doubt it could generate enough sales to make a separate dealership viable. In 1990 Lexus started with two vehicles, the ES 250 and the LS 400. Infiniti also had two vehicles when they started. Mazda considered setting up a new brand for higher end cars shortly after Lexus and Infiniti went into business, but they decided not to.

The second consideration, and a major one, is the present economic situation. Opening new dealerships would require a lot of money, and the potential dealers would likely have to borrow a lot of this. Times are tough in commercial lending. Interest rates are dirt cheap, but lenders are very restrictive in making their loans because of all the bad stuff they have on their books.

Perhaps the situation will be different when the Equus is ready for sale; however, it appears that it will be a very low volume model, also.
Old 08-27-10, 10:42 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats on the new car! Glad you're enjoying it.
Old 08-27-10, 10:58 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Congrats on the new purchase, but please come back in 50,000 miles and lets see if you feel the same.
Precisely. Let us know how much you end up using that warranty over the coming years.
Old 08-27-10, 11:22 AM
SurfsUP
Pole Position

Congrats on your new Genesis!

Its a great looking car and with all the nice reviews it must drive really nice, even though I've never driven one. The only thing I don't like is the mix bag of borrowed design elements, BMW exterior cues, and now the new rear emblem which looks like was stolen off a Bently. Overall it's a great looking vehicle!

BTW, as for quality we will have to wait and see. My friend had a good friend of his who purchased the first Kia in Reno and took the car into a car wash after 1 week and by the end of the car wash he could not see what was behind him, cause it was missing the 2 side view mirrors!
Old 08-27-10, 11:23 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Great pickup my man! Congrats! I drove a loaded out V8 last year and I was quite impressed. And apparently so was J.D. Powers:

This actually a VERY nice and well laid out center console. Looks contemporary and simple to use.
Old 08-27-10, 11:25 AM
LexFather

^^^ If you read the comments are being made about long term quality, not initial quality. FYI

Old 08-27-10, 11:27 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ If you read the comments are being made about long term quality, not initial quality. FYI
I read em'... AND?

There is no "long term" data owner reviews to go on currently for this vehicle. So "initial" will have to suffice.
Old 08-27-10, 11:59 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

^^ Actually, the JD Powers survey you posted has nothing to do with quality or reliability, whatsoever. It simply says that the Genesis had the most successful new car launch of all the listed vehicles. Meaningless, regarding quality, reliability, or desirability. The Genesis is a fine automobile regardless of how successful or unsuccessful its launch was.
Old 08-27-10, 12:11 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
^^ Actually, the JD Powers survey you posted has nothing to do with quality or reliability, whatsoever. It simply says that the Genesis had the most successful new car launch of all the listed vehicles. Meaningless, regarding quality, reliability, or desirability. The Genesis is a fine automobile regardless of how successful or unsuccessful its launch was.
That's all I and some folks here are saying...

And I still say that was a glorious achievement.
Old 08-27-10, 12:21 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Precisely. Let us know how much you end up using that warranty over the coming years.
I can tell you about how much I have used my Lexus GS350 warranty over the last few years. I have had my Dash removed 4 times, for rattles. The brakes replaced 3 times. There was the Fuel Rail Recall whatever that was. The Gas cap cover would not close and had to be replaced. Now I hear there is a valve spring recall that needs replacing on the engine. - Lots of other folks on this forum have had these same problems. They are common to the GS.

On the contrary, having been on the Genesis owners forum the last few months, I can say that there are very few problems with the Genesis.

Lexus has set the bar so low that even a snake would have no problem getting over it. It was not a big risk to try another brand after these experiences.

Listen folks, I don't own stock in either of these companies. And I still own both cars. I am just sharing my experiences as a consumer. I only want the best car for my money.
Old 08-27-10, 01:26 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I can tell you about how much I have used my Lexus GS350 warranty over the last few years. I have had my Dash removed 4 times, for rattles. The brakes replaced 3 times. There was the Fuel Rail Recall whatever that was. The Gas cap cover would not close and had to be replaced. Now I hear there is a valve spring recall that needs replacing on the engine. - Lots of other folks on this forum have had these same problems. They are common to the GS.

On the contrary, having been on the Genesis owners forum the last few months, I can say that there are very few problems with the Genesis.

Lexus has set the bar so low that even a snake would have no problem getting over it. It was not a big risk to try another brand after these experiences.

Listen folks, I don't own stock in either of these companies. And I still own both cars. I am just sharing my experiences as a consumer. I only want the best car for my money.

Well said Cuthroat. End of story. Even tho im a diehard Lex fan, we should all support the man as a member because he is still part of CL . We all make decisions based on personnal reasons even if it "offends" others taste or not. The Genesis was the better choice for him at this time(i personnaly wouldve have went with the Lincoln MKS ) so he did what was right for him. Is it wrong for him to share his experience with us without feeling that he disrespected us for not buying Lexus or saying its better than his current GS? Fellas please! If money wasn't an object, there are plenty of us on here that would take an S65 over an LS600 any day and wouldnt feel ashamed to come on here and say it. But given certain curcumstances, we would buy the LS because it make more sense. Yes Lexus dropped the ball with the 3GS and that left a bad taste in his mouth more than it did others but did he cancel his CL subscription? NO. I'm sure Lexus still ranks atop his list. Its just the shine has gotten tarnished a tad bit at the moment for him. As for me, unless Lexus drops the ball with the next gen of LS and GS and continue on a downward slide, i will be a fan of them and CL for as long as i can think straight. Regardless if i like the Genesis or not, congrats on your purchase Cutthroat! But just keep your eyes open for the next GS. You might just reconsider
Old 08-27-10, 01:43 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I really think it has a lot to do with the way OP uses his language. Saying something like "xxx cars makes xxx car feels like a toy" will causes a lot of emotional replies. Personally I have a lot of respect for genesis and I think they are respectable. Just that a lot of their owners are quite insecure bunch.
Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Well said Cuthroat. End of story. Even tho im a diehard Lex fan, we should all support the man as a member because he is still part of CL . We all make decisions based on personnal reasons even if it "offends" others taste or not. The Genesis was the better choice for him at this time(i personnaly wouldve have went with the Lincoln MKS ) so he did what was right for him. Is it wrong for him to share his experience with us without feeling that he disrespected us for not buying Lexus or saying its better than his current GS? Fellas please! If money wasn't an object, there are plenty of us on here that would take an S65 over an LS600 any day and wouldnt feel ashamed to come on here and say it. But given certain curcumstances, we would buy the LS because it make more sense. Yes Lexus dropped the ball with the 3GS and that left a bad taste in his mouth more than it did others but did he cancel his CL subscription? NO. I'm sure Lexus still ranks atop his list. Its just the shine has gotten tarnished a tad bit at the moment for him. As for me, unless Lexus drops the ball with the next gen of LS and GS and continue on a downward slide, i will be a fan of them and CL for as long as i can think straight. Regardless if i like the Genesis or not, congrats on your purchase Cutthroat! But just keep your eyes open for the next GS. You might just reconsider
Old 08-27-10, 02:31 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

I like this post

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-28-10 at 01:26 PM. Reason: TX, stop linking all the giant moving gifs please.
Old 08-27-10, 02:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus certainly goofed up in several areas when it comes to all L-finesse generation models, not just the GS. When you consider the fact that L-finesse models were designed when Toyota was cutting costs left and right and the fact that L-finesse models are essentially all new and not evolutionary updates to the previous models, its easy to understand why that happened.

However this is not to say they are bad cars. The 3GS is still very awesome, and while I don't have any experience with the Genesis, I doubt if its really better than the 3GS. Sure, its bigger, and might have a couple newer electronic gadgets, but I doubt very much if its built as well and as solid. From what the OP is saying, it mostly seems that Genesis is just more suitable to him mostly because its bigger and has more options - but that's kind of like comparing GS to Avalon. The GS was never intended to be a large sedan, and if you want all the toys, it will cost you a lot of money. The Genesis on the other hand is a huge bargain, its basically a poor man's LS/S class.

With that being said, judging from what Lexus has done in the past, I fully expect the next GS, as well as every other model, to be totally improved, with all shortcomings and issues resolved. Like the OP said, his first gen LS had a number of issues, and these were common not only to the LS, but the entire first gen Lexus line up. All of these were resolved in second generation models - which were evolutionary designs based largely on the previous models.

As far as the whole badge thing, to me personally it doesn't matter whether the badge is premium or not. I'd have no problem driving LS/GS/IS even if they were labeled Toyota, but I wouldn't want to drive the ES despite the Lexus badge. Generally, as long as I like the car, I don't care what the badge says. When it comes to Hyundai however, I wouldn't want to be associated with them. It has nothing to do with the lack of prestige, but with the fact that I don't like how Hyundai operates. They contribute nothing to the pool of automotive technologies, rip technology and design ideas from all other manufacturers, exploit cheap Korean labor and lack of regulations, spend nearly nothing on R&D, and then undercut competitors prices. They are just not a fair competitor and have a lot of unfair advantages going on for them, including Korean protectionist government. For people in the US it may seem like the Genesis is one hell of a bargain, but if you go to Korea it costs twice as much, and then foreign manufacturers are taxed to where they cannot offer better prices.

In any case, sorry for the long rant. To to OP - enjoy your Genesis, hopefully it will serve you well!

Quick Reply: I have my Genesis, GREAT car