Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I have my Genesis, GREAT car

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 02:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Not sure how many GS's sell compared to the Genesis, but as far as reported problems on online forums, anytime you have more of a particular type of car on the road, you'll always hear more reported problems. More cars = more reports and complaints. If Hyundai sold cars in masses, I garantee you'd hear more complaints from people.
Old 08-27-10, 02:47 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The 3GS is still very awesome, and while I don't have any experience with the Genesis, I doubt if its really better than the 3GS. Sure, its bigger, and might have a couple newer electronic gadgets, but I doubt very much if its built as well and as solid. From what the OP is saying, it mostly seems that Genesis is just more suitable to him mostly because its bigger and has more options -
Nope! You're completely wrong! - I own both cars and the Genesis is far superior to the 3rd Generation GS. I also owned the 2nd Generation GS which was far superior to the 3rd Generation GS. The Genesis is more like the 2nd generation GS with the Electronics of the 3rd Generation GS.

The Genesis is built better is more solid, better handling, better built. It is just a better car in my Opinion (And I have put my Money where my mouth is). Drive one and then report back to us.
Old 08-27-10, 02:48 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the whole debadging thing is kinda weird, because only a fool would think the genesis was a typical cheap econo car. It's a full blown quality luxury car.

I would actually pick the genesis over a similarly priced 2007 GS. In fact, it looks like you can get a 2009 genesis 6 banger with 25k miles with factory warranty still intact for about 23k plus TTL. The only lexus GS you could get for 23k would be a 2006 to 2007 with over 60k miles, which would qualify it as being out of warranty period....huge difference, bad for the genesis seller but great for buyer.

and I actually like the genesis body styling better than the GS but that's a matter of opinion.
Old 08-27-10, 02:52 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Nope! You're completely wrong! - I own both cars and the Genesis is far superior to the 3rd Generation GS. I also owned the 2nd Generation GS which was far superior to the 3rd Generation GS. The Genesis is more like the 2nd generation GS with the Electronics of the 3rd Generation GS.

The Genesis is built better is more solid, better handling, better built. It is just a better car in my Opinion (And I have put my Money where my mouth is). Drive one and then report back to us.

My 98 GS to this day is one of the best cars I have EVER owned! That car was so solid and quick and comfy... Don't know why Lexus couldn't build on that cars tremendous accolades.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-28-10 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Linking another gianormous moving GIF. Use your words, marcus
Old 08-27-10, 02:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well in my opinion, the 3GS is a better car than 2GS, but it does have a few flaws. That however is like beating a dead horse, we had many threads about that.

As far as the Genesis, drive it for a few years, let the suspension components wear out a bit, let the bushings sag a bit, and then see how it compares. A brand new car will always feel tighter than a car with some miles and years on its clock.
Old 08-27-10, 02:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

What's bothered me about the Genesis is the interior styling. The dash mimicks a Ford Crown Victoria. It's all horizontal, lending the idea that it was designed for cars with a bench seat.
Old 08-27-10, 03:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Congrats! The Genesis to me is a from Hyundai. Enjoy
Old 08-27-10, 03:37 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I think the interior is pretty nice.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What's bothered me about the Genesis is the interior styling. The dash mimicks a Ford Crown Victoria. It's all horizontal, lending the idea that it was designed for cars with a bench seat.
Old 08-27-10, 04:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

I have to say that I would trust the direct experience of an owner to the perceptions of members who have never even sat in the car or driven a Genesis.
Old 08-27-10, 04:57 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Congrats to the OP on the new car. It's unfortunate that a lot of people knock the Genesis, mainly because it's a $30K + Hyundai. If this was a $20K car, I'm sure we would all have one. I'm sure if you bought an LFA and went on a Ferrari forum, people would be talking trash about you spending that much money on a Lexus.
Old 08-27-10, 05:09 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

no matter how badass u think u are in your lexus or in your bentley, there will always be someone badder in a ferrari or private jet....but then of course you die and realize u can't take it all with u.

Originally Posted by ecr527
Congrats to the OP on the new car. It's unfortunate that a lot of people knock the Genesis, mainly because it's a $30K + Hyundai. If this was a $20K car, I'm sure we would all have one. I'm sure if you bought an LFA and went on a Ferrari forum, people would be talking trash about you spending that much money on a Lexus.
Old 08-27-10, 05:25 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Luxury is not supposed to make financial sense. Luxury is not about value. The Genesis is may have more bang for the buck than a BMW, Benz, Audi, Lexus etc. It's up to the buyer to decide whether the luxury is worth the premium.

Price the two cars equally and see who sells more. Claiming that the hyundai is "much better" is a stretch.

It seems to fit the OP's needs better, congrats on the new car
Old 08-27-10, 05:29 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have to say that I would trust the direct experience of an owner to the perceptions of members who have never even sat in the car or driven a Genesis.

Amen! I wonder how many of those who b!&(# actually own both vehicles

Congrats OP! I totally agree with the Genesis wings mod. The flying H is just ugly.
Old 08-27-10, 05:36 PM
4DGS
Driver

No pics???

I hate the Gen coupe, I love the gen sedan.
Old 08-27-10, 06:27 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

You have to ask yourself, what makes one car better than the other. If, after 100k miles, the Genesis turns out to be more reliable than the GS, is it better? If it gets better mileage, is it better? If it's more solid and tighter after 50k miles is it better? If it goes down the highway quieter and smoother, is it better? If its resale value is higher after 10 years, is it better?

Or...... Is the Lexus better simply because it holds the Lexus nameplate?

It is downright silly to believe that a car just can't measure up just because of the emblem on the grille. I, personally, don't have experience with either car, but, to the OP, who owns and drives both cars, his opinion holds a lot of weight in my book.

Quick Reply: I have my Genesis, GREAT car