Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I have my Genesis, GREAT car

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 06:40 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
while I don't have any experience with the Genesis, I doubt if its really better than the 3GS. Sure, its bigger, and might have a couple newer electronic gadgets, but I doubt very much if its built as well and as solid.
So you admit to having NO EXPERIENCE with the Genesis, yet you felt compelled to tell us about it's build quality relative to other cars?
Old 08-27-10, 06:45 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya gen coupe does suck, I thought it was a new model tiburon at first in the 16-17k range. It turns out it sells for over 25k and that's probably why it's such a flop.

it's suppose to be a good performance car, rear wheel drive and all but there was a youtube video of a genesis coupe getting reemed by a nissan 370z.

I figure if they are going to make a sports car and sell for 26 up to 32k then they better make it as fast as a 370z that goes for 35k.

what they should've done was capture the luxury coupe market like the infiniti g37 and audi a5 range. the only one available in that segment is the accord coupe priced in the 25k range....or a coupe based on the genesis sedan.

but noooooo, a genesis coupe they did that looks like it competes with the scion TC.

Originally Posted by 4DGS
No pics???

I hate the Gen coupe, I love the gen sedan.
Old 08-27-10, 06:47 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I drove a Genesis 3.8 a while back. Was pretty solid, comfortable, had decent passing power. The one I drove had the upraded stereo (non-nav though) and it sounded great and had a lot of good features for the price. I would have gotten the one I drove (which was the gen. manager's demo) but I wanted one with nav, but I didn't want to wait in order to get one either.
Old 08-27-10, 06:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
So you admit to having NO EXPERIENCE with the Genesis, yet you felt compelled to tell us about it's build quality relative to other cars?
Yep, read many reviews, and while I'm sure its a good car, I doubt its better overall than GS. I'm sure it has its strong points vs the GS, as well as its weak points.

In this particular case, the OP's opinion isn't very objective and I don't give it much credibility. Saying that GS feels like a cheap compact is just laughable. The OP may not like it, but its still one of the best cars in it's class.

If you want objective and credible, search this forum for mmarshall's reviews, he reviewed both, and regards both of them highly.
Old 08-27-10, 06:49 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

what hyundai and kia should've AT LEAST done was change their LOGO.

it would say something without really saying something.
Old 08-27-10, 08:01 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
All the chatter Hyundai has created over the past few years only validates how far they have truly come along.
agreed.
all the hoopla Hyundai gets on CLUB LEXUS is very telling. i think Lexus has to pay full attention to hyundia's moves because the genesis/equus are "out-lexus'ing" Lexus at the moment.
Old 08-27-10, 09:07 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

One can also go back to the first gen LS400 and Mercedes discussion of the day. Time is showing what Hyundai can do. If the OP feels it is better, he got a heck of a deal then. Some of us may have reservations but we aren't all with the same eye nor criteria so it is quite subjective.
Old 08-27-10, 09:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
what hyundai and kia should've AT LEAST done was change their LOGO.

it would say something without really saying something.
When the Genesis sedan first came out, it didn't have a Hyundai logo on at at all.....simply a winged "Genesis" badge. I don't know if that is still the case or not.....haven't seen the very latest ones.
Old 08-27-10, 11:23 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shyguy16
agreed.
all the hoopla Hyundai gets on CLUB LEXUS is very telling. i think Lexus has to pay full attention to hyundia's moves because the genesis/equus are "out-lexus'ing" Lexus at the moment.
What does it tell? This is part of why I have been questioning Lexus' status as a Tier 1 brand lately. They have multiple vehicles that can match up with anything Audi/BMW/MB can provide....in certain classes.

However....they lack the depth of their competitors line-up.

I think the IS (all of it's iterations) stacks up extremely well against the C, A or 3
series'.

The GS (excluding the hybrid) is flat out bad compared to the current 5 or E, with no word of anything earth shattering coming. Imo, the GS and Genesis have aspects that are better than the other.

The LS is a great car that stacks up well with the 7 or S, but doesn't have the "enthusiast" version that both BMW and MB offer. From initial impressions, the Equus is in no way going to be a true competitor to the LS/7/S/Panamera. Pseudo-luxury for those that can't afford to get into one of the class leaders.

Imo, the RX stacks up against the Q, X or ML very well, albeit in a different size.

So once again....if you want to continue the discussion of Lexus vs. Hyundai.....then Lexus certainly isn't a true Tier 1 brand....as the similar comparisons are not happening with MB/Audi/BMW. The Genesis sedan put their target squarely on the 5 with their marketing simply because they are selling a better "bang for the buck"...not necessarily a better vehicle (the Genesis is NOT better than the new 5).

There are lots of better "bangs for the buck" in all vehicle segments. You can always find something that you'll be happy with for less money. Does that make it the better choice?

For some yes, for many others in the luxury segment no.
Old 08-28-10, 12:48 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-28-10, 10:04 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

^^^ hahaha... that is some funny $#!t
Old 08-28-10, 10:46 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove the Genesis last round of car shopping I did. The Saturn Aura I ended up with stickered at 26k. The Genesis V6 I drove stickered at 36k. For sticker price I'd have gone with the Genesis no question. However I was able to get 10 grand off MSRP on the Aura and only 2 grand off the Genesis, so I went with the Aura. Plus I didn't want a car payment and that would have been tougher to manage on the Genesis.

But I'm keeping an eye on their used car prices, and if they drop as fast as a lot of other Hyundai products then I might jump on a used one in a couple years.

I have a feeling that they might not depreciate as quickly as I'm hoping though. Well, unless they're found to be not so durable over time, but in that case I wouldn't want one after all anyway.
Old 08-28-10, 12:02 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Threxx
I drove the Genesis last round of car shopping I did. The Saturn Aura I ended up with stickered at 26k. The Genesis V6 I drove stickered at 36k. For sticker price I'd have gone with the Genesis no question. However I was able to get 10 grand off MSRP on the Aura and only 2 grand off the Genesis, so I went with the Aura. Plus I didn't want a car payment and that would have been tougher to manage on the Genesis.

But I'm keeping an eye on their used car prices, and if they drop as fast as a lot of other Hyundai products then I might jump on a used one in a couple years.

I have a feeling that they might not depreciate as quickly as I'm hoping though. Well, unless they're found to be not so durable over time, but in that case I wouldn't want one after all anyway.
....there is a reason you got 10K off the MSRP of a Saturn; the brand doesn't exist anymore.

You can buy quality once, or keep buying crap forever...
Old 08-28-10, 12:15 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
In this particular case, the OP's opinion isn't very objective and I don't give it much credibility.
So you claim that OP's opinion isn't very objective, yet somehow yours is?

Newsflash: He owns both cars in question. You own neither. And you admit to never even sitting in the Genesis. Who lacks credibility here?

Funny how in your other thread craps on Hyundai, you justify your posts by claiming you are entitled to your opinion. Yet, when someone likes Hyundai, you refuse to extend the same courtesy.
Old 08-28-10, 12:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Madoka, please exit this thread. I've asked twice to knock off the personal comments and you keep calling out other members who don't agree with your perspective.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Couple of posts removed... members keep this thread polite and mature.
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys (1sick included) I asked to keep this thread polite and mature.

Keep the personal comments out of this thread or don't post.

Quick Reply: I have my Genesis, GREAT car