Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevrolet Suburban celebrates 75 years, Autoblog drives every generation

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-10, 09:59 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a family member with 4 kids that is actually seeking a new or late model CPO Suburban. Like many American families, they absolutely don't want a minivan or station wagon.
Old 08-28-10, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I have a family member with 4 kids that is actually seeking a new or late model CPO Suburban. Like many American families, they absolutely don't want a minivan or station wagon.
Well, part of that is not surprising. There aren't any big station wagons any more that compare to the Suburban, thanks to Ford and GM dropping all their large ones years ago. We've discussd that already in other threads.

What concerns me is what is going to happen when (or if) you can't get any big SUVs anymore. People converted to them at least partly because the big wagons went extinct. If the big SUVs also become extinct, you're going to see some mad voters...and the politicians and bureaucrats who forced them out with new CAFE laws may have to answer for it.
Old 08-28-10, 10:32 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They had the current/newest gen in their group shot but I don't understand why they didn't start working their way down from the current one. Instead they started at the previous gen and worked down. IMO the current suburban is a milestone in that it proves GM is capable of not just creating durable trucks, but also creating trucks with high perceived quality and nice interiors, too. Before that GM SUVs were quite a bit more utilitarian relative to the competition. They'd work their butts off and do so reliably in most cases, but they weren't necessarily pretty to look at, especially on the inside.
Old 08-28-10, 10:50 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The Suburban was\is my favorite full-size SUV still. But I think the 92-99 models were the best looking imo probably just biased since my uncle had two. Now he has the RX 350 since the cousins have gone older and got their own families.
Old 08-28-10, 11:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Never gave it much thought, maybe it's truly the first SUV(s).

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Possibly, but it was actually more of a people/cargo mover than an SUV as we know it. Most automotive historians credit the postwar 1946 ******-Jeep Wagon as the first true SUV.

Unlike the postwar Suburban, the Jeep Wagon had a time-proven part-time 4WD system.

You guys are both completely wrong. The true first SUV predates both the Suburban and ******-Jeep by many, many years. And it is still widely used, and still the most capable offroader ever. When your Suburban or Jeep gets properly stuck, you'll need to rely on one of these to pull it out

Can you guess what it is? Ready for it?

Old 08-28-10, 11:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

lol, but I think a mule is more sure-footed (than a horse SUV), just ask the rangers at the Grand Canyon.
Old 08-28-10, 01:18 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Growing up, our next door neighbor was a field geologist, and his car of choice was that ****** Station Wagon - it was civilized enough for a suburban mom, yet edgy enough for a load of adventuresome kids who loved riding in it. This is where today's SUV was born.

Of course my more sporting tastes ran to the 1948 - 1951 "Jeepster", if you can imagine a classic sports car with 4WD and that "Go-Devil" 4-cyl engine that wrung all of 63 hp out of 134 CI.

Old 08-28-10, 01:29 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

love the way the current gen looks in black or white.

especially menacing when it's a combination of both.... (local PD uses them)