Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition Full Test LOL

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10 | 03:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
These cars are horrible, I don't really know how to look at these cars because they are the reason Ford was close to bankruptcy, work in any Ford, Mercury now Ford or Lincoln Dealer and prepare to be blown away by the 1000's of dollars in warranty work that the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car needs, when I see these cars I think of all the stuff that has probably failed and what it cost to replace, now oddly enough once the faulty parts are replaced, they never break again, why can't they put those parts in at the factory, but the one main weak point is, the rear air suspension
LOL, actually these cars are EXTREMELY cheap to repair, and the parts and abundant and cheap. Every mechanic knows these inside out, as they repair many cabs.

I'm not saying here that these cars as good. No, they are pretty lousy for private use, but they do have a purpose, and police and cabbies love them.
Old 08-27-10 | 03:17 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^ Seems Mercury fares well according to JD Power. Hell seems way better than Nissan and even better than Infiniti.
what are you trying to say, are you replying to me insisting that I somehow represent the entire Nissan/Infiniti lineup, Im on my 4th Nissan and have never done anything but preventative maintenance, I have never had a problem with my cars, I worked in dealers, I know better not to take the car back, and my father who owned 2 nissans, never changed the oil on them, and had no problems, and the FX is 900 miles away in NY, thats his car, I tried to convince him to get a loaded Camry.

So if you asked me to buy a Mercury that was the same price as a Nissan, Infiniti or Lexus, I know to much about Ford but I want a LX570, the FX is fast, and just not for me, my 09 Maxima is a better all around car and has half the monthly car payment

and those surveys mean nothing to me, since being a tech and a car guy has changed my perception of vehicles, and knowing a couple guys who own shops helps reinforce my views
Old 08-27-10 | 03:23 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, actually these cars are EXTREMELY cheap to repair, and the parts and abundant and cheap. Every mechanic knows these inside out, as they repair many cabs.

I'm not saying here that these cars as good. No, they are pretty lousy for private use, but they do have a purpose, and police and cabbies love them.
Like I said, I've seen these cars need tons of work right before the warranty expires, and then all was good, in fact I have seem German cars do the same thing

Cheap is a relative term, especially in NY when cost to own and operate a shop are so high, a friend of mine just turned his shop into a QuickieMart, oddly enough he makes more, selling energy drinks and donuts, then turning wrenches.

The cars are around for the long haul, but just not my cup of tea, it's like trying to convince me to buy a used M, I love the car just don't want to deal with it
Old 08-27-10 | 03:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Like I said, I've seen these cars need tons of work right before the warranty expires, and then all was good, in fact I have seem German cars do the same thing
I dont know, I've never heard of anyone having major problems with their Crown Vics. I've had a number of friends that bought used police crown vic, and they all seemed issue free.

Their biggest issue is body bushings sagging, so the whole car starts to rattle and squeak.

Cheap is a relative term, especially in NY when cost to own and operate a shop are so high, a friend of mine just turned his shop into a QuickieMart, oddly enough he makes more, selling energy drinks and donuts, then turning wrenches.
Well, cheap meaning that parts are inexpensive compared to other makes, and labor isn't time consuming because mechanics are experienced with these cars, and everything is very accessible under the hood.

As far as operating a shop in NYC, I don't know how they survive. Your average rent would be $3500-4000 a month, plus bills and insurance, thats at least 5k right there. Add the cost of equipment and tools that you need to invest into, and then if you have 3-4 mechanics working full time, your salary must be 9-12k per month. With these expenses you gotta pull in at least 25-30k a month for it to make sense.

The cars are around for the long haul, but just not my cup of tea, it's like trying to convince me to buy a used M, I love the car just don't want to deal with it
Not my cup of tea either, but like I said before, they do have a certain purpose.
Old 08-27-10 | 08:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's VERY important to note, most owners of cars like the Mercury and Buick do not hear rattles, do not know any better about performance and technology, and do not have the will or spark to take their car to a dealership service department for a complaint. These are older aunts, grandmas, grandpas, people with hearing and vision loss, walking canes, and 'ol boy' syndrome. They are happy with these cars and think they are served well. The JD Power studies do not take an owner's demographic or age into consideration, making these studies way way way inaccurate.
Grand Marquis ownership (and a number of Buicks as well) goes well beyond the Grandpa/Grandma stereotype.

They are happy with these cars
Exactly. And that is why Ford is foolish to drop this car.
Old 08-27-10 | 08:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well I'd rather this than the CR-ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz...
Since you read my review, you know that the CR-Z would be a lot better than it is now if it had a more refined and crisp-operating powertrain. Other than that, it's a pretty nice little package.

For some odd reason I always have enjoyed my time behind one of these or a Town Car. They know what they are and you don't drive them like someone that just got their license.
Actually, I had a similiar car not long after I first got MY license. My sporty Plymouth Barracuda, granted, was nice in some ways, but like you, I also enjoyed a big luxury soft-driver.

I wish they would make a new one. Big RWD V-8 luxury with a soft suspension and a huge trunk.
Agreed. And, while they are at it....bring back the big V8 full-frame GM cars as well. But the new CAFE laws may make that very difficult.
Old 08-27-10 | 10:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't really know how to look at these cars because they are the reason Ford was close to bankruptcy,
I have to disagree....for two main reasons. First, Ford kept these cars in production long after GM had (foolishly, IMO) discontinued the competing Chevy Caprice/ Buick Roadmaster/Cadillac Fleetwood, yet it was GM, not Ford, who actually went bankrupt and needed both Government money and a classic buyout to stay in buisness. Second, the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car was a source of profit for Ford, not a loss.....they were considerably cheaper to produce than their actual list prices.
Old 08-28-10 | 09:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Consumer Reports Used Car Reliability reports are pretty good on this Merc.

In any case, it's a car whose time has come and gone. This happens to most cars (not all) eventually.
Yes, personally I'm glad to see that Ford is interested in progressing (being a member of a Ford family for decades).
Old 08-28-10 | 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, personally I'm glad to see that Ford is interested in progressing (being a member of a Ford family for decades).
I know a number of cops who sure don't consider it progress. They liked their Crown Vics for a reason. The ones I know who have been forced into Impalas and Chargers have ended up b**ching. A lot of cab drivers (though I don't know any personally) aren't too cool on the idea either.
Old 08-28-10 | 09:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I know a number of cops who sure don't consider it progress. They liked their Crown Vics for a reason.
Yes, they like the abuse the cars can take and durability, but they really don't enjoy driving them.

I know several cops, not one actually owns a Crown Vic for personal car. And it's not the cops decision to make when it comes to using taxpayers money.

Progress is what shareholders of Ford stock want and demand (including members of my family with longstanding ownership positions).
Old 08-28-10 | 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Yes, they like the abuse the cars can take and durability, but they really don't enjoy driving them.

I know several cops, not one actually owns a Crown Vic for personal car. And it's not the cops decision to make when it comes to using taxpayers money.

Progress is what shareholders of Ford stock want and demand (including members of my family with longstanding ownership positions).
Yes, the cops will adjust to new vehicles as old models go away. They won't have much choice.
Old 08-28-10 | 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Profits...and dividends.....is what the Ford shareholders want. We'll see if Ford can keep making money or not. So far, they have not needed Government assistance.

I know several cops, not one actually owns a Crown Vic for personal car.
I agree.....I'll probably not have another RWD car myself. But there was no denying the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis's appeal to law enforcement, taxi firms, and traditionally-minded car buyers who liked the bod-on-frame design.

Yes, the cops will adjust to new vehicles as old models go away. They won't have much choice.

Well, since it's apparantly a done deal, it's probably not worth arguing about. Ford made its bed, and will now lie in it. Like I said above, we'll see if it was a good buisness decision....and if it makes money.

(But I wouldn't want to be a Ford exec, though, or in the marketing department. From now on, if they get caught speeding or running red lights, the cops may have it out for them)

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-28-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-28-10 | 10:03 AM
LexFather

I have to disagree....for two main reasons. First, Ford kept these cars in production long after GM had (foolishly, IMO) discontinued the competing Chevy Caprice/ Buick Roadmaster/Cadillac Fleetwood, yet it was GM, not Ford, who actually went bankrupt and needed both Government money and a classic buyout to stay in buisness. Second, the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car was a source of profit for Ford, not a loss.....they were considerably cheaper to produce than their actual list prices.
Well hell the same could be said for Nissan. They were basically bankrupt and saved by the French, Renault. Clearly the plan worked. Now Infiniti will use Benz parts and engines.

What is completely different is there was a focused plan to get Nissan out their mess whereas Mercury has floundered and gotten basically nothing but rebadged Fords for decades.

I don't know ANYONE who has bought a new Mercury outside of Mr. Johnson who bought a Maurader years ago. Contrast that with Nissan where I know tons of people with one.
Old 08-28-10 | 10:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Well, since it's apparantly a done deal, it's probably not worth arguing about. Ford made its bed, and will now lie in it. Like I said above, we'll see if it was a good buisness decision....and if it makes money.
Yes, not worth the trouble argueing about, just more idle chit chat.

That type of P/L granularity will never be disclosed (by model) for those that know how financial reporting is done.

But as a Ford insider, I support the decision and the shutdown of Mercury. Ford does not need to listen to geezers living in the past because they don't generate enough revenue to matter. Yes the low profit margin government and commercial buyers have some say but still are not nearly as lucrative as car models sold with high demand to general public.
Old 08-28-10 | 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well hell the same could be said for Nissan. They were basically bankrupt and saved by the French, Renault. Clearly the plan worked.
Look at the cheap, junk Nissans that Ghosn gave us, though, while the plan WAS working. I know you remember them.

What is completely different is there was a focused plan to get Nissan out their mess whereas Mercury has floundered and gotten basically nothing but rebadged Fords for decades.
Agreed, but Mercury floundered at least partly because of Ford's neglect, not just the other way around.

I don't know ANYONE who has bought a new Mercury outside of Mr. Johnson who bought a Maurader years ago. Contrast that with Nissan where I know tons of people with one.
I know a few new Merc owners but, agreed....substantially more Ford owners. Everything, of course, sells here in the D.C. area...even the Acura RL.

Quick Reply: 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition Full Test LOL