Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition Full Test LOL

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 11:49 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition Full Test LOL

Review by Inside line. Link. Its hilarious.

"Speed is a relative thing, and relatively speaking, the Grand Marquis is slow. It takes the barge 9.3 seconds to reach 60 mph (9.0 seconds with 1 foot of rollout as on a drag strip) and it steams through the quarter-mile in 16.7 seconds at 84.6 mph. A Honda CR-Z hybrid will crush it in any heads-up race."

No navigation system, no USB, no auxiliary jack, no Bluetooth, and it only holds a single CD. And it self-tunes to Rush Limbaugh.

Last edited by lexmenow; 08-27-10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-27-10, 12:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The official stats are not accurate and very underrated. I've had a lot of first hand experience with a late 90ies police Crown Vic, and let me tell you, it has no problem out accelerating and out handling most rice burners. I raced a BMW 530, and beat it by a few blocks

The Marquis is probably a lot softer that a Crow Vic with police package, but it has the same engine. The 4.6 V8 makes around 300lb tq and can definitely surprise an unsuspecting victim. I mean it does run out of breath at highway speeds, but from a dig, its accelerated nicely.
Old 08-27-10, 12:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition Full Test LOL
Yes, auto-enthusiasts tend to "LOL" this car, but one must remember that it was not meant to be a sports-sedan. It does what it was designed to do very well. Och, above, also brings up some good points. And, the heavy body-on-frame construction can take a lot of punishment....one reason why cops liked it for pursuing criminals. I, for one, will be sorry to see it......and Mercury.......go.
Old 08-27-10, 01:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL yes, (it's meant to be used as a police car because even today it really does serve a need).

It's value as a taxi is limited but still exists, I've ridden in many and the experience is substandard at best. It's saleability and relevance in the consumer market is approaching zero.
Old 08-27-10, 01:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"No navigation system, no USB, no auxiliary jack, no Bluetooth, and it only holds a single CD. And it self-tunes to Rush Limbaugh."

Regarding above, somebody will complain that they can't play a cassette tape in this thing.
Old 08-27-10, 01:34 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Technology and performance aside, the Grand Marquis/Towncar is the smoothest riding highway car under 200K! Even the 89 Grand Marquis that i had rode better than my LS on straight highway cruising.
Old 08-27-10, 01:35 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

it looks like a normal day in the life of a Grand Marquis owner, visting old friends. LOL!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-10, 01:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

And these things have more offroad capability than many AWD crossover SUVs today, the police have proven that many times.
Old 08-27-10, 02:08 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing strikes more fear on the road than seeing one of these cars in your rearview mirror at night only to find out its a cab when he passes because you slowed down way too much.
Old 08-27-10, 02:18 PM
LexFather

Well I'd rather this than the CR-ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz...At least this knows what it is. Big comfy luxo old school barge with a huge trunk to put the ricers in. For some odd reason I always have enjoyed my time behind one of these or a Town Car. They know what they are and you don't drive them like someone that just got their license.

I wish they would make a new one. Big RWD V-8 luxury with a soft suspension and a huge trunk.

Old 08-27-10, 02:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The distinct sound of this Ford engine is one I hear every night cruising my neighbrohood. I'll be online or trying to fall asleep, and all of a sudden hear WOT down below on the street. It's a classic sound, just as those scary headlights are in the rearview mirror.
Old 08-27-10, 02:33 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars are horrible, I don't really know how to look at these cars because they are the reason Ford was close to bankruptcy, work in any Ford, Mercury now Ford or Lincoln Dealer and prepare to be blown away by the 1000's of dollars in warranty work that the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car needs, when I see these cars I think of all the stuff that has probably failed and what it cost to replace, now oddly enough once the faulty parts are replaced, they never break again, why can't they put those parts in at the factory, but the one main weak point is, the rear air suspension
Old 08-27-10, 02:41 PM
LexFather

^^ Seems Mercury fares well according to JD Power. Hell seems way better than Nissan and even better than Infiniti.

Old 08-27-10, 02:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It's VERY important to note, most owners of cars like the Mercury and Buick do not hear rattles, do not know any better about performance and technology, and do not have the will or spark to take their car to a dealership service department for a complaint. These are older aunts, grandmas, grandpas, people with hearing and vision loss, walking canes, and 'ol boy' syndrome. They are happy with these cars and think they are served well. The JD Power studies do not take an owner's demographic or age into consideration, making these studies way way way inaccurate.
Old 08-27-10, 02:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Consumer Reports Used Car Reliability reports are pretty good on this Merc.

In any case, it's a car whose time has come and gone. This happens to most cars (not all) eventually.

Quick Reply: 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition Full Test LOL