Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hydrogen fueling station explodes

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 12:21 PM
LexFather

Post Hydrogen fueling station explodes

Some are betting Hydrogen powered cars are the future..

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1716520.shtml?cat=566

Two hydrogen tanks at Monroe County's alternative fuel station on Scottsville Road exploded and caught fire this afternoon, sending black smoke high in the air. The blasts were heard as far away as Pittsford.

A male employee of Praxair drove an 18-wheel truck carrying a compressed-hydrogen tank to the station to replace another truck and tank, County Executive Maggie Brooks and Airport Director David Damelio said during a briefing this afternoon. Damelio said the exchange is carried out monthly. Praxair is a supplier to General Motors Corp.

One of the hydrogen tanks exploded and caught fire about 12:50 p.m. Officials believe that there was some sort of arcing on the ground that spread the flames to the other tank, which also exploded. By the time of Brooks’ 2:45 p.m. briefing, the hydrogen had been burned off and the fire extinguished.

On Thursday night, Monroe County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Cpl. John Helfer said the driver, Robert Scruggs, 61, of Geneva, Ohio, had been taken to Strong Memorial Hospital with second-degree burns. Helfer said Scruggs was in satisfactory condition.

Old 08-27-10, 01:59 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't believe Hydrogen can be viable, then you need to read up on it. It has much more molecular energy and it produces no pollution what so ever. You can even recycle the water formed by the process.

If people had said that when gasoline cars came out, where would we be at this time?

Last edited by 1JZsoarer; 08-27-10 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-27-10, 02:09 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Hydrogen is what the major oil corporations are banking on as the new profitable oil industry, hydrogen is not the answer.
Old 08-27-10, 02:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
If you don't believe Hydrogen can be viable, then you need to read up on it. It has much more molecular energy and it produces no pollution what so ever. You can even recycle the water formed by the process.

If people had said that when gasoline cars came out, where would we be at this time?
Yeah but we use a lot of natural gas to produce the hydrogen.

Old 08-27-10, 02:41 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

A lot of the commercial fleet vehicles in NYC are hydrogen or natural gas
Old 08-27-10, 10:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah but we use a lot of natural gas to produce the hydrogen.
Doesn't have to be that way, though. Remember your chemistry labs back in school.....and the production of hydrogen from the electrolysis of water? In fact, that is partly (among other reactions) how modern fuel-cell cars work to make electricity for the motor.
Old 08-28-10, 04:55 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Doesn't have to be that way, though. Remember your chemistry labs back in school.....and the production of hydrogen from the electrolysis of water? In fact, that is partly (among other reactions) how modern fuel-cell cars work to make electricity for the motor.
Whilst it's true you can produce hydrogen in small amounts in a lab, industrial scale production requires high temperature and high pressure systems - temperatures of 800 degC or so - and how do you get that heat? Back to hydrocarbons again.

Interestingly you can get hydrogen from urine and that is 300% more energy efficient than using water - but maybe that really is taking the p---.
Old 08-28-10, 07:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer

hydrogen is not an energy source its an energy carrier, thats like saying the air in a compressed air engine is an energy source.
Old 08-28-10, 08:37 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Some are betting Hydrogen powered cars are the future..

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1716520.shtml?cat=566
Yeah this would never make sense because we currently have Gasoline tankers are completely impervious to explosions and fire.

Its not like we had an entire oil rig blow up in the Gulf.. and burn/hurt/kill people.

I just had to bring out some of Sicks sarcasm....
Old 08-28-10, 02:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

you act like a gas station has never gone up. This is a non issue. Hydrogen will still be in our furure. I think there are risks to any source that we use. These risks need to be reduced by engineering etc and we should be fine. Just think of how many times we have seen an episode of cops where some drunk dude crashes into a fuel tank at a gas station and BOOOM. There is risk with anything. We just need to realize that we have to work to reduce the risks.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-28-10 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 02:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thank you . I feel like some have forgotten basic chemistry
Old 08-30-10, 07:51 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
hydrogen is not an energy source its an energy carrier, thats like saying the air in a compressed air engine is an energy source.
I always thought that Hydrogen was ``burned`` therefore being an energy source.
Old 08-30-10, 08:39 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what energy source are you suggesting we use to create molecular hydrogen?

Creating hydrogen by electrolysis consumes more energy than the oxidation reaction (burning it) creates - it's a net loss no matter how you look at it. Other methods do exist for generation, but the current most cost effective one is natural gas reformation. Again, fossil fuels are the base energy source.

Storing hydrogen is inherently more dangerous than gasoline as it must be compressed, and is therefore combustible (tanker trucks transporting gasoline are not compressed, and under most situation will only ignite, not combust). It will also burn at a much higher range of air/fuel mixtures than almost any other fuel source.

Combine all this with the fact that it's energy density is very poor - about 27% that of gasoline or diesel, and you have a fuel that is being pushed solely because it is "green".

Electric cars make much more sense than hydrogen cars ever will.

Good information on hydrogen.
Old 08-30-10, 01:20 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

That must have been one HELL of an explosion...
Old 08-30-10, 03:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know why they'd use the same material found in Hydrogen bombs?!?

Quick Reply: Hydrogen fueling station explodes