Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think?
I like the old look with "Lexus"
39.81%
I like the new lookn without the "Lexus"
34.95%
Don't care
11.65%
I need more time to think it over.
6.80%
I would prefer to see more badges and emblems
0%
Debadged ftw
6.80%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus taking the badges off 2011 models? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 12:30 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a bold move and one which shows absolute confidence in the strength of the brand mark and what it stands for. Not many companies can pull this off but I think Lexus might be able to. They would join other iconic marks such as

and
Old 09-02-10, 12:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ exactly, just do it
Old 09-02-10, 01:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

people on these forums tend to forget that most people dont care about cars and a good number of them have NO CLUE. We have to stop assuming everyone is as familiar as we are with cars. I think the name looks nice and adds some symmetry to the rear of the car
Old 09-02-10, 01:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

IMO the people that "don't care about cars and have no clue" are not the typical Lexus buyers, even if they make up a significant portion of the general car buying public.

But rather than second-guessing the makeup of the buyers, I see it another way (below)

Mercedes/Porsche/BMW have had tremendous success for years without spelling out the brand name in block lettering on the back, I feel Lexus could do the same.
Old 09-02-10, 02:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO the people that "don't care about cars and have no clue" are not the typical Lexus buyers, even if they make up a significant portion of the general car buying public.

But rather than second-guessing the makeup of the buyers, I see it another way (below)

Mercedes/Porsche/BMW have had tremendous success for years without spelling out the brand name in block lettering on the back, I feel Lexus could do the same.

Mercedes/Porsche/BMW vehicles have had a certain presence on the road for years.Many know the brand just by the look of the vehicle.
Lexus,no so much....yet.
Old 09-02-10, 02:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Mercedes/Porsche/BMW vehicles have had a certain presence on the road for years.Many know the brand just by the look of the vehicle.
Lexus,no so much....yet.
I hear what you are saying. But Lexus as the top selling lux brand for several years is well known and recognized in the US market. At this stage, Lexus can take the chance IMO, because it won't matter much. And the big L logo spells out the brand name very effectively. It's not like the cars will be stripped of the logo too.
Old 09-03-10, 06:50 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the "Font" used for "LEXUS", I think it's pretty special, so I like it! I've always like it, so what if MB and BMW doesn't do it. Do we have to copy everything they do? Lexus should be different, because they are different.
Old 09-03-10, 09:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
people on these forums tend to forget that most people dont care about cars and a good number of them have NO CLUE. We have to stop assuming everyone is as familiar as we are with cars. I think the name looks nice and adds some symmetry to the rear of the car
You continuously make these blanket statements of the forum with no grounds or merit. So you know what over 130,000 people think here?

Then if we look at the poll, it is a pretty close vote which completely contradicts what you are saying.

You are completely wrong, people DO care about cars. They might not be car enthusiasts but they care and that is why the car industry is a giant one. People love and buy cars. These people DO care about badges and brands and it is up to luxury car companies to "sell" them the brand.

Lexus has done this in 20 years as the brand is one of the most recognized in the world and is equated with success and luxury. Thus as Speedflex points out the "L" emblem is what Lexus wants instantly recognizable.

What you are saying is completely wrong. Car Enthusiasts and people that "care" are the vast minority of car shoppers.

Old 09-03-10, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
oh i think they ARE typical! vast majority of lexus sold: RX/ES/IS. the IS buyers might be more aware but most of the rest probably don't have a clue based on the drivers of RX/ES i see/know.
Old 09-03-10, 09:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oh i think they ARE typical! vast majority of lexus sold: RX/ES/IS. the IS buyers might be more aware but most of the rest probably don't have a clue based on the drivers of RX/ES i see/know.
Most RX are sold to women, and believe me, they know what it is

They are the same type of women that buy $5k prade purses. Believe me, they may not know the technical side, but when it comes to the badge, they know it
Old 09-03-10, 09:59 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I still somewhat disagree. I'm not saying most Lexus buyers (or BMW or Mercedes buyers for that matter) are enthusiasts.

Or as Och said: "Believe me, they may not know the technical side, but when it comes to the badge, they know it", lol.

Because the truly "clueless and not caring buyers" will not waste money on Lexus products and tend to buy cheaper less desirable vehicles (and plenty of mediocre cars are still available in todays market).
Old 09-03-10, 10:07 AM
LexFather

I agree. You would be shocked to know how many non enthusiasts know what a RX is, what a 7 series is, what a E class is etc etc. They might say something like "is that the one with the _______________" to help feel them out. People are not that clueless.

That is why BRAND is so important, successful people want to be associated with successful brands (even stated by Jaguar, Ferrari executives). That is why smart brands work overtime to establish and cement their brands.

The first thing is "I want a Lexus" or "I want a BMW" then they go to the model they want. Its rarely "I want a 5 series" or "I want a IS". Some luxury brands then have done a stellar job expanding their lineups so these people once in the brand, don't have to leave if they want a SUV, or sports car, etc.

Old 09-03-10, 07:49 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the new look, it is far too overdue IMO.

Yes part of the reason is cost savings, but part of the reason is that it makes the cars look cleaner and less cluttered in the rear end. It gives it a more refined look as well, and less of a mass-market/econobox look at the rear.
Old 09-04-10, 10:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I answered "I need more time to think it over".

As said by Sir Gojira99 and others, this exercise is only for America atm.

I could understand why Lexus may do that over there (since the brand has first launched there and has been known over there for more than twenty years).

For everywhere else though, the LEXUS nameplate will stil be there stay atm.:

In most places outside America, I'm guessing that Lexus has not yet had much exposure (like in Japan where they've sold thousands of cars yet they were the first ever Japanese Premium Auto brand there and has is currently on its 5th year of operations) or sales (like in Europe where they've enjoyed a decade of presence of being a 'foreign' car brand.......but have not sold as much compared to the hometown premium brands like Audi, BMW, MB, Jaguar and the like).

My guess is that Lexus would only do that for other territories if it achieves what it has already achieved in the American market (which is level of sales and/or exposure/presence). Heck, maybe even a small fraction of that would just do if they want it to happen.

But for the meantime, outside of Stateside (:P), the "Lexus" nameplate on cars is here to stay

Two cents

P.S.
In the case of the Philippines, the brand has only officially been in this country for only more than a year since launch and as such (aside from pre-launch gray import/parallel imports and auto enthusiasts), I bet that majority of local Filipinos as of the moment do not even know what this thing is..........

Last edited by Blackraven; 09-04-10 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-04-10, 10:58 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it.

All we need now is "no holes" behind the badges!

Quick Reply: Lexus taking the badges off 2011 models? What do you think?