Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari recalls every 458 Italia due to fire risk

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 06:16 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Ferrari has always had poor reliability, but that never stopped people from buying them. Most of them end up being garage queens and are only taken out on a Saturday night from 7:15-7:45 with the engine barely over 2500 RPM.

The fire shouldn't have happened in the first place, but I don't see the 458's flaw keeping customers away.
If the fire problem is not resolved and 458s that have been fixed under the recall continue to light on fire, then that could certainly keep customers away.

This is not the same as a 458 breaking down due to the engine or transmission. Imagine someone driving their 458 in a big city downtown, and it lights on fire. That would be a big scene, and likely cause a lot of media attention.

A car with an engine or other mechanical problem won't cause a big scene, but a fire definitely will.
Old 11-16-10, 06:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

That is only IF Ferrari doesn't do anything about it. I highly doubt they will let the 458 continue on without fixing the issue.
Old 11-16-10, 06:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
That is only IF Ferrari doesn't do anything about it. I highly doubt they will let the 458 continue on without fixing the issue.
You have to wonder how serious the problem is if the recall seemingly did not fix it.
Old 08-23-12, 01:48 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

And yet another 458 burns. So much for the recall.

http://jalopnik.com/5936012/another-...french-highway

Another Ferrari 458 Italia Burns To The Ground On A Swiss Highway

Looks like another Ferrari 458 Italia has met a fiery end, this time on the Swiss A5 motorway.

The news website 20 Minutes Online reports that the fire occurred about 5 p.m. local time Saturday between Neuchâtel and Yverdon. Witnesses saw a 458 Italia engulfed in flames in the emergency lane of the highway.

The Italia reportedly burst into flames just before a tunnel due to "a technical problem." Thankfully, no one was injured.

As we've reported before, the 458 seems to be one of the more fire-prone supercars around. If you happen to own one, a Nomex suit may be a good investment just in case.
Old 08-23-12, 02:22 PM
LexFather

Wowzers....

Old 08-23-12, 02:39 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I dont even think the Ferrari dealership has a 458 in the showroom.
Old 08-23-12, 05:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i remember interview with one of the richest guys around here and he has several ferrari's... i think he said one of the major things in the future would be to never buy new model Ferrari since he took it to factory for recalls 10 times in past 2 years :-).

this is why ferrari has such long free maintenance period included these days, people were being putt off by the issues.
Old 08-23-12, 05:06 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
I dont even think the Ferrari dealership has a 458 in the showroom.
Are you saying that the 458 is in such a high demand that the dealerships can't even keep one in the showroom, or that the 458 is so prone to catching fire that even the dealerships don't want to keep one in the showroom in fear of burning down the whole dealership?
Old 08-23-12, 05:24 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
You pay and pay for a car like this . Its supposed to be the ultimate in performance. You'd figure that Ferrari would do more long term tests . Plus these fires in these supercars ( mainly Italian) is not uncommon for some reason
ultimate performance BBQ machine
roasts a whole pork in 180mph