Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Event Alert: September 2010 Calendar of Automotive Events

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 02:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Event Alert: September 2010 Calendar of Automotive Events

I know I am one of a handful of guys on this forum who are interested in the classic foreign cars and the history ( the new cars are getting a bit boring to me ). I figured I would share this info just in case.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/01/e...motive-events/

September means the end of summer vacation, but the automotive festivities continue, including the Paris Motor Show at the very end of the month. We'll have a full team coverage in the City of Lights, but that's almost a month away. Between now and then there are hundreds of car-related events to keep all but the most rabid gearheads satisfied.

While our coverage of Monterey and the Woodward Dream Cruise last month gave us a year's worth of classic and collectible car memories, September has a lot more to offer for classic car fans. Here's some highlights:
Auburn Cord Duesenberg Festival
The Great Labor Day Cruise
Chico Concours d'Elegance
Hillsborough Concours d'Elegance
Kirkland Concours d'Elegance
Coastline Car Classic & Motoring Road Rally
Belmont Shore Car Show
Fairfield County Concours d'Elegance
Japanese Classic Car Show
Salisbury Concours d'Elegance
Route 66 Rendezvous
Glenmoor Gathering
Palos Verdes Concours d'Elegance
Capitol Concours d'Elegance
Cruisin' For A Cure
New York Motorexpo
San Diego Hi-Performance Expo
If you'd like to buy your own classic, there are plenty of auctions in September as well: RM Auctions: Auburn Fall Collector Car Auction, Worldwide Auctioneers Auburn Auction, The Branson Auction, Vintage Toy Vehicle Auction, Mecum St. Charles Auction and the Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas Auction.

Racing fans can take in Formula 1 action during the Italian and Singapore Grands Prix. NASCAR has stops at Atlanta, Richmond, New Hampshire and Dover. IndyCar heads to Kentucky and Japan in September before wrapping up the 2010 season in Miami in October. The WRC hosts the Rally Japan this month, while the ALMS heads to Georgia for the Petit Le Mans at the end of the month. Grand-Am fanciers can catch the next-to-last race of the Rolex season at Miller Motorsports Park, which will be the finale for the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge season. Two-wheel fans can see the AMA Pro Superbike Championship at New Jersey Motorsports Park.

If none of those events appeal to you, check out our Google Calendar after the jump for even more listings, all with detailed info and links. And please don't forget to use the comments section to add or modify listings.

As always, we want to give a shout-out to our two favorite sources; The New York Times automotive calendar for national and international stuff, and our buddy Dave Lindsay's SoCalCarCulture pages for local stuff here in Southern California. Dave's photographic coverage of these local events is fantastic. Check out this month's event calendar below and start adding to it by leaving us a note in the comments. If you'd like your events listed on our calendar, please send an email to frank.filipponio - at - weblogsinc - dot - com.
Old 09-01-10, 05:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been to both Palo Alto and Hillsborough Concours, both are friendly events for casual lookers.
Old 09-01-10, 08:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I know I am one of a handful of guys on this forum who are interested in the classic foreign cars and the history ( the new cars are getting a bit boring to me ).
I agree that vintage cars have a lot more personality then many newer vehicles, can be fun to drive, and bring back memories (for me, 60's-vintage muscle and luxury-cars are among my favorites). But, at the same time, they can be a PITA to own compared to newer vehicles, requiring a lot more service/repairs. And, after experiencing EFI and rack-and-pinion steering, I don't think I'd ever want a car with a carburator or recirculating-ball steering again.
Old 09-03-10, 11:42 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

what I think is interesting is how many "car guys" there are who don't know anything about the history behind all of the brands that they supposedly love so much. To me thats the difference between a "car guy" and a guy who like cars

I would agree that I wouldn't want to own an older car for a daily driver but a older classic would be cool for the sunday drives and errands with the wife. I was in an old 1968 Mercedes convertible a few weeks back and I swear people were looking like the car was a Ferrari . It was a cool felling to drive around in something that is so unique and beautiful