Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia recalls 2010 Soul, 2011 Sorento over wiring faults.(Kia's top executive resigns)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 07:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, yet another problem for the Kia Soul? As usual, certain Hyundai supporters are nowhere to be seen in this thread.
Old 09-04-10, 12:35 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Posted pics on another forum.

Old 09-04-10, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good info, coming from an actual previous owner. A long but mostly sad and expensive historical experience (for GM) at Saturn, agreed it could have been better.
It was a dynamite experience for many Saturn customers. The average 14% mark-up (non-negotiable) on the Saturn S-series plastic-body cars, of course, helped pay for all those customer-perks. Things started downhill after Saturn tried to branch out into more-conventional areas and become just another GM divison....which it became (and died with its sister Pontiac).

Obviously you read my post #4 that spells out the difference between a test drive and a more extensive driving or ownership experience very clearly.
Yes.....many times (you and I both, every day, make more than our share of posts). My experience, over 40 years, is that I agree with part of it, and part I don't.
Old 09-04-10, 02:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for those burned-speaker pictures, Joeb. I passed them on to my brother. He's going to keep that system turned-off until they can check the wiring harness. Fortunately, the Soul has a switch that keeps the speakers on for listening, but removes the funky spook-red pulsating.
Old 09-04-10, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wow, yet another problem for the Kia Soul? As usual, certain Hyundai supporters are nowhere to be seen in this thread.
Well, I'll be the first one to say, though, that my brother bought a new Soul in July.....and he loves it, recall or not. I kind of like it myself....though it is not the car for me.
Old 09-04-10, 07:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Yes.....many times (you and I both, every day, make more than our share of posts). My experience, over 40 years, is that I agree with part of it, and part I don't.
Yes, some we don't agree on and some we do. Even if we are both at the older end of the CL membership demographics, our automotive taste is obviously unique

My many postings here are some of my least worthwhile accomplishments in life, thankfully my life has far more depth than idle chatter on the internet, even if it's good fun and giggles.

I have well over 40 years of automotive experience (it's literally a part of my immediate family's history), and the need to enjoy fine machinery frequently is in my blood.

back to topic:
But as I said before, I don't expect 30 minute test drives or reports from those with extended driving and/or ownership experiences to find potential recalls for us.
Old 09-04-10, 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My many postings here are some of my least worthwhile accomplishments in life, thankfully my life has far more depth than idle chatter on the internet, even if it's good fun and giggles.
So does mine...I was also heavily involved in aviation and weather (in a number of different ways) for many years....made my living with the FAA. But this may be getting a little more in the area of PM than in public thread-posts.
Old 09-04-10, 08:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So does mine...I was also heavily involved in aviation and weather (in a number of different ways) for many years....made my living with the FAA. But this may be getting a little more in the area of PM than in public thread-posts.
Agreed, we have many professionals here, myself included (which is why they can afford premium cars, without spelling out exactly what profession they excel in, because it's nobody's business here).

back to topic:
But as I said before, I don't expect 30 minute test drives or reports from those with extended driving and/or ownership experiences to find potential recalls for us.
Old 09-05-10, 07:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've read the wiring fault is in the accent lights around the speakers and door trim.
Old 09-05-10, 08:14 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Personal, I don't see anything wrong with recalls. Remember, cars are made by human beings (though we have now machines and robots doing most of the work.......but still, the human worker is involved). Human beings are not perfect and are prone to making mistakes. Therefore, I expect that no car will be 100% perfect/flawless.

However, regards to increasing number of recalls by many different automakers, I think this points out again to human factor.

Well we have to face it, today people are wimps. More people today are becoming lazy. For instance, long ago, students used the school library more often and actually use books and other text when making academic papers, reports and stuff.

Now, they just resort to using wikipedia and if it works, then that's all they use.

I guess the same is happening in the auto production and manufacturing industry. I bet today's autoworkers must be thinking: Never mind if I don't get the installation of this wiring harness right. In the end, AS LONG AS IT HAS FOUR WHEELS AND IT RUNS, then I couldn't give a **** about anything else.

Toyota Japan for instance made a discovery that the newer generation of auto workers didn't have much passion or work ethic or work quality that their predecessors had (guess they only found pleasure in life just playing video games and watching TV all day). Hence, they observed that their quality was slipping and that they had more recalls than usual compared to the past.

As such, Toyota Japan introduced a crash-course on auto assembly to hope that this problem would be solved......but who knows if results will be made.

I guess this was the negative aspect of technology wherein we start to depend on it too much to the point where we want it to do everything while we sit back in our couches with our PS3, Xboxes, computers and the TV remote.

Lest forgetting that thousands of years ago, our ancestors had to go out in open areas and risk their lives hunting wild animals for food. Today, we have to ask the delivery man to bring food to our doorstep.

Still, one can only hope that as technology and human society advance, we just hope that our laziness and complacency will not follow in that direction as well.....

What do you think, mmarshall and others?

Old 09-05-10, 08:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

(for mmarshall) - maybe they were playing AC/DC REALLY loud.
Old 09-05-10, 12:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

scary looking
Old 09-05-10, 01:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
(for mmarshall) - maybe they were playing AC/DC REALLY loud.
Yeah.....if that's the case, they couldn't picked a better hard-rock group.

And many of the songs AC/DC does (at least on a number of their past albums) deal with flames, electric charges, burning, live wires, high voltage etc....

Old 09-05-10, 02:12 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Personal, I don't see anything wrong with recalls. Remember, cars are made by human beings (though we have now machines and robots doing most of the work.......but still, the human worker is involved). Human beings are not perfect and are prone to making mistakes. Therefore, I expect that no car will be 100% perfect/flawless.
I agree that cars are made by people and will have some flaws - if quality controls are not put in place to rule out the "human factors." I think more often than not now, however, the designs are to blame rather than the people. So many vehicles take a long time to develop, unless something is caught in testing and preproduction, it could make it into a finished product. The duration of quality testing isn't always enough to suss out a problem that is time based (in other words, leave this on too long and it overheats, which appears to be the problem with these).

Well we have to face it, today people are wimps. More people today are becoming lazy. For instance, long ago, students used the school library more often and actually use books and other text when making academic papers, reports and stuff.

Now, they just resort to using wikipedia and if it works, then that's all they use.
Most real schools will not allow students to reference Wiki anything, since it can be manipulated. They still must do their research. But I think you're kind of off the boat on this, and definitely off topic, but I'll break it down quickly. The kids aren't lazy, but it's incredibly expensive to purchase a library's worth of books. It's also very time consuming to locate the information. Using the computer, students can find the information with a guided search such as Ebscohost and Proquest. These have simply made searching easier. The students aren't "wimps," they just have more resources.

I guess the same is happening in the auto production and manufacturing industry. I bet today's autoworkers must be thinking: Never mind if I don't get the installation of this wiring harness right. In the end, AS LONG AS IT HAS FOUR WHEELS AND IT RUNS, then I couldn't give a **** about anything else.
I'll give you the fact that workers have become complacent. I'm pretty sure this is a design flaw, however, since the same worker probably didn't install the harness on 33K+ cars.

Toyota Japan for instance made a discovery that the newer generation of auto workers didn't have much passion or work ethic or work quality that their predecessors had (guess they only found pleasure in life just playing video games and watching TV all day). Hence, they observed that their quality was slipping and that they had more recalls than usual compared to the past.
There's a shock - workers who don't feel as if they owe the company anything. Perhaps the chaos in the Japanese economy where employees who were loyal and took a lot of pride got dropped (like so many Americans) affected them and their children. It's very sad that pride in a solid day's work has been chased out by this.

I'm sure that Kia will do the right thing, however. They'll reengineer the affected harnesses, install them, and make it right for those who have had issues. Mistakes happen.

Big Mack
Old 09-05-10, 02:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Mack

I'll give you the fact that workers have become complacent. I'm pretty sure this is a design flaw, however, since the same worker probably didn't install the harness on 33K+ cars.

Many workers often DO install the same parts/assemblies, over and over again, in thousands of cars going down the assembly-line. Repetitive-motion injuries, involving bones, muscles, cartiledge, ligaments, tendons, etc.... have been a significant problem in the auto industry for years. Auto manufacturers and health-insurance companies spend a lot of money treating those injuries.

Quick Reply: Kia recalls 2010 Soul, 2011 Sorento over wiring faults.(Kia's top executive resigns)