Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Dealer Crashes M5, Tries Screwing Owner Out Of $27K

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 06:55 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that BMW dealership gets shutdown and gets a new car, plus money for his time to deal with this bs.
Old 09-02-10, 07:08 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good summary:

http://jalopnik.com/5628903/bmw-deal...yline=true&s=i

It sounds like the saga is still not resolved.
Old 09-02-10, 07:30 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

There has to be some sort of clause in the contracts between the dealership and BMW North America that they cannot pull this kind of crap, which in effect can slaughter the entire company's reputation (if it goes beyond Jalopnik).
Old 09-02-10, 07:43 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Feel bad for that guy, hopefully he will get this resolved somehow...
Old 09-02-10, 08:26 PM
DftMachine
Rookie

Are there any new updates about the M5 and its current situation? I read through half of the 38 pages and now my computer seems to not want to open m5board.
Old 09-02-10, 08:46 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no. the article i copied above was written today only. nothing since then.
Old 09-02-10, 09:32 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

ok.... this has to do with the 3GS because?
Old 09-02-10, 09:49 PM
Kendrick07
Rookie

This comes as no surprise to me. In my previous 5 years of experiencing BMW dealerships, they didn't care about me at all after the purchase. That combined with an unreliable car made me come back. I bet they're going to pull the how can you prove the additional issues weren't there already. All the best to the M5 owner.
Old 09-02-10, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Kendrick07
This comes as no surprise to me. In my previous 5 years of experiencing BMW dealerships, they didn't care about me at all after the purchase. That combined with an unreliable car made me come back. I bet they're going to pull the how can you prove the additional issues weren't there already. All the best to the M5 owner.
you know, i can't really see how you can associate it that way. ever since i got my m3, i have received great services from the dealerships, never one hassle and i can't be happier. my m3 has been very reliable overall as well, in fact more reliable than my gs350, if i have to compare. on the other hand, i have also seen some horrible services at lexus dealerships

this story in this thread is bad, but i also think it's independent incident. generalization like the way you did? that's pretty off base
Old 09-03-10, 12:29 AM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

That's abo****ely ridiculous. I'm glad this story went viral and is up at every forum I frequent.
Old 09-03-10, 05:07 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carLx
Interesting thread. I don't have the patience to read all 38 pages, but I did read the original post. Anybody care to summarize the follow up points of the story (i.e. points not discussed in the OP)?
The quote I posted above captures it, but even more succinctly:
1) Dealer allowed a 28 year old mechanic to test drive the car.
2) Mechanic put it in M mode (with traction control off) drove very fast and crashed it.
3) The dealer claimed it was minor damage, about $2500 worth, and they would cover that amount and fix it.
4) Owner drove around the area in his loaner to find the scene of the accident. Was close to dealership. Found evidence of severe damage and high speed driving (long skid marks, several impact marks with the curb at different distances, coolant fluids, etc.).
5) Owner took photos of scene.
6) Dealer continues to maintain minor damage, and only $2500 dollars of superficial repairs needed - no need to claim insurance. Since their deductible is $2500.
7) Owner gets lawyer and asks for more reasonable agreement - e.g. they buy back his car at retail and sell him a new one at invoice, as well as other offers for settlement.
8) Dealer continues to offer $2500 of repairs only.
9) Owner has car towed to other BMW dealer for repair cost assessment. The crash dealer then refers to his insurance company.
10) The other repair dealer discovers substantial damage - powertrain, suspension, etc. Identifies $30,000 of damage

That's the story so far. He doesn't want his car back since with that amount of damage it won't be same after repairs. It was virgin before. Meanwhile the dealer that crashed the car has very obviously tried to screw him and wanted to give him back a car with significant damage under the covers.
Old 09-03-10, 05:14 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I would be perfectly happy if this led to the destruction of this dealer. It's not the accident itself, but the fact that they were trying to con the owner and leave him with a damaged car without fixing it properly. Unless a story like this ends with substantial punishment of the dealer, it won't deter others.

One of the M5 Board members, Notens, said something which epitomizes the business values we should all have, and which this dealer is clearly failing on:
About five years ago, I made an enormous mistake with a client. Bad. Legal liability and everything. The moment it happened, I called them, explained everything in depth, apologized, took full responsibility, and asked them to come back to me with what they thought was right. When they came back, I took their demands and I doubled it. Then I wrote a personal letter to everyone involved. Probably cost me $30k to fix that mistake.

Why not call the guy when it happened. Apologize. Let him see the car, the accident site and the offending driver. Offer him a replacement CPO'd car, same or fewer miles, same or better options, same condition or better. Even let him pick the color and add an option or two and back it with a 100k full warranty and your personal cell phone number. Then send him all-expenses to the two-day performance driving school, give him $1,000 in lifestyle gear, two logo jackets, and send flowers to his wife. Polish it off with a handwritten note. Why? Because:
1) 20,000 viewers would admire you instead of despise you
2) With lawyers, it's going to cost you that much anyways. If you are lucky. Not including lost business.
3) That's what a man does. He owns what he sells, and takes full responsibility when it goes sideways
Old 09-03-10, 05:49 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Terrible dealer. This kind of stuff just really gets to me. Dosen't anyone respect other peoples things anymore?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-03-10 at 07:08 AM. Reason: foul language
Old 09-03-10, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I would be perfectly happy if this led to the destruction of this dealer. It's not the accident itself, but the fact that they were trying to con the owner and leave him with a damaged car without fixing it properly. Unless a story like this ends with substantial punishment of the dealer, it won't deter others.

One of the M5 Board members, Notens, said something which epitomizes the business values we should all have, and which this dealer is clearly failing on:
totally agree with you and great quote on that post. it's really not as much on the crash. i am not saying it's "ok", but the fact that the dealership is being so dishonest and try to screw the owner over, that's just unacceptable. it's so disgusting...

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Terrible dealer. This kind of stuff just really gets to me. Dosen't anyone respect other peoples things anymore?
very sadly, but that's the case for a lot of people now i have worked on cars that were previously serviced by other shops (not just dealerships). they charged premium claiming they work on high end cars all the time. i am less than part time, if at all, but i take every car seriously and take things apart carefully. but man, sometimes when i take things apart i noticed scratches and damages it's not even funny. yeah customers won't see coz' it's all "inside", but that's complete fail by my definition
Old 09-03-10, 08:55 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Since this guy has done his due dilligence, and talked to the police.

I am sure he can contact the local investigative reporter from his local TV stations and have them check things out.

If the dealer does not want to make a move, have the TV viewing public encourage them to act. Having that much bad press would make people think again about buying at that dealer.

It seems pretty cut and dry to me..... Time to take the gloves off and talk to News 4/9/7.

Negative TV adds always work. Just look at our policical scene these days.

Quick Reply: BMW Dealer Crashes M5, Tries Screwing Owner Out Of $27K