Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Dealer Crashes M5, Tries Screwing Owner Out Of $27K

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 08:58 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrible incident, not worthy of sweeping generalizations.
Old 09-03-10, 09:42 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the fact that the dealership is being so dishonest and try to screw the owner over, that's just unacceptable. it's so disgusting...
It could have been worse, like they fix it without telling him. They could give him some excuse to leave the car there longer for them to "patch up".

Originally Posted by rominl
but man, sometimes when i take things apart i noticed scratches and damages it's not even funny. yeah customers won't see coz' it's all "inside", but that's complete fail by my definition
This is why I'm afraid to go for any fix. Never know what will happen when handed to those Professionals. Fix one rattle and 10 more appeared.

Most of the time I go to dealers for fix, I stated clearly what and where the problem was and they couldn't find it. I had to hold hands and show those Professionals.

If the problem is not bad, let it be.
Old 09-03-10, 10:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
It could have been worse, like they fix it without telling him. They could give him some excuse to leave the car there longer for them to "patch up".

This is why I'm afraid to go for any fix. Never know what will happen when handed to those Professionals. Fix one rattle and 10 more appeared.

Most of the time I go to dealers for fix, I stated clearly what and where the problem was and they couldn't find it. I had to hold hands and show those Professionals.

If the problem is not bad, let it be.
considering that he only brought it in for some fluid changes, i don't think they could fix the car "in time" considering all the damages i think

but yeah, so ugly...
Old 09-03-10, 10:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by batman75
I would be perfectly happy if this led to the destruction of this dealer. It's not the accident itself, but the fact that they were trying to con the owner and leave him with a damaged car without fixing it properly. Unless a story like this ends with substantial punishment of the dealer, it won't deter others.

One of the M5 Board members, Notens, said something which epitomizes the business values we should all have, and which this dealer is clearly failing on:
That post you quoted was fantastic.

Old 09-03-10, 11:19 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Sad. Visions of Ferris Buller's Day Off come to mind but this is bad.
Old 09-03-10, 11:30 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

get a lawyer and try to make a scene at the dealership service area. Let the other customers know what the hell is going on at the dealership. You have every right to be pissed and very angry.
Old 09-03-10, 12:02 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Smart guy not naming the dealership to keep his option of getting a settlement open.
I don't think it's as one-sided a decision as that. While you can threaten them with revealing their name in your negotiations, by plastering their name in the discussion, you will put a GREAT deal more pressure on them. By keeping their name secret, there is not as much pressure to settle. Plus by revealing their name, any other innocent dealers are left out of the speculation.
Old 09-03-10, 02:11 PM
L3E5X0
Driver School Candidate

I hope everything works out okay for him...
Gawd I can't imagine what I'd do if this happen to me..
Old 09-03-10, 02:26 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't settle for anything except these two options: either the dealer buy back the M5 for what it is worth currently without damage, or give me another M5 with similar mileage and other conditions and take the damaged car. Fixing it is not something I would consider. Would the car be back to what it used to be after fixing it? I would ask the dealer can I wreck their new cars and "only" pay for the fixing? If I am the one who crashed the car, my insurance would take care of it. But right now the employee of the dealer was the person who crashed it, then simply fixing it is not going to cut it.
Old 09-03-10, 02:31 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

A good friend of mine had one of the first 03 Cobra's when they first came out - the first of the supercharged ones in San Antonio...

She had it in for service at the local Ford Dealership... thinking she's a woman, 40's, no one will know any different, the service tech took it out, had it up to 150ish, running it hard and everything - how did she find out - simple - he posted all about it on an internet forum, one of the Mustang ones, IIRC... She was a very active member of the same board, she printed out the post, took it to the service manager, and basically, they warrantied everything, even on a modded car, for a long long time - she gets all sorts of stuff free and is relatively happy -of course nothing serious happened to the car...

this sucks for the owners, no matter what...
Old 09-03-10, 02:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This is the risk any of us run if we drive a sports car. Any stupid *** kid at a dealership who could only dream of driving something like that is going to have some fun in your car.
Old 09-03-10, 05:51 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
This is the risk any of us run if we drive a sports car. Any stupid *** kid at a dealership who could only dream of driving something like that is going to have some fun in your car.
I don't agree with that. Businesses should have controls in place. At my Lexus dealer it's only the team chiefs and the service advisors who test drive the customers cars. These are older experienced people and it makes sense they are doing the QA. Allowing a junior mechanic to QA his own work makes no sense, particularly when combined with the risk that they may joyride.

Second, dealers that are defensive and in denial about these things are implicitly failing to discourage such behaviour. If the dealer owned up in every instance, over-compensated the victims and fired the employee straight away, it would set a greater culture of accountability.

What this dealer is doing, and what most dealers do, is the dealership doesn't take accountability for what happens on their premises, and in so doing they create a pass the blame culture with no accountability and employees pissing around.

I did a bit of investigation and have a pretty good idea which dealership this was (won't say out of respect for the M5 owner). If you read the Yelp review, and other reviews of this dealership like on dealerrater, it is evident the managers basically laugh at customer issues, they have a lot of junior employees who muck around. There is very little accountability for quality. Several reviews. Not one site does this dealer have a solid average rating.

And I think BMW is to blame as well. When the BMW NA rep keeps saying: ""we can't do anything because the dealer is an independent company" that also sets a culture of non accountability. I have heard this phrase on many BMW threads over the years and I'm pretty sure its in the BMW NA reps' scripts. While I have had problems with a Lexus rep before, I have never heard a Lexus rep say a phrase like that, generally they will at least call the dealer and attempt to apply pressure. The BMW NA position on these issues is implicitly fostering this kind of behavior.
Old 09-03-10, 05:58 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

count me in. i hope the dealership burns.

they tried to short change him-

$2500 for repairs ?! what are they gonna use, gorilla glue to put everything back together?
Old 09-03-10, 05:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by batman75
I don't agree with that. Businesses should have controls in place. At my Lexus dealer it's only the team chiefs and the service advisors who test drive the customers cars. These are older experienced people and it makes sense they are doing the QA. Allowing a junior mechanic to QA his own work makes no sense, particularly when combined with the risk that they may joyride.

Second, dealers that are defensive and in denial about these things are implicitly failing to discourage such behaviour. If the dealer owned up in every instance, over-compensated the victims and fired the employee straight away, it would set a greater culture of accountability.

What this dealer is doing, and what most dealers do, is the dealership doesn't take accountability for what happens on their premises, and in so doing they create a pass the blame culture with no accountability and employees pissing around.

I did a bit of investigation and have a pretty good idea which dealership this was (won't say out of respect for the M5 owner). If you read the Yelp review, and other reviews of this dealership like on dealerrater, it is evident the managers basically laugh at customer issues, they have a lot of junior employees who muck around. There is very little accountability for quality. Several reviews. Not one site does this dealer have a solid average rating.

And I think BMW is to blame as well. When the BMW NA rep keeps saying: ""we can't do anything because the dealer is an independent company" that also sets a culture of non accountability. I have heard this phrase on many BMW threads over the years and I'm pretty sure its in the BMW NA reps' scripts. While I have had problems with a Lexus rep before, I have never heard a Lexus rep say a phrase like that, generally they will at least call the dealer and attempt to apply pressure. The BMW NA position on these issues is implicitly fostering this kind of behavior.
I agree completely. It is beyond ridiculous to think b/c you own a certain car that allows people to maybe drive it how they please without your consent. That is preposterous.

Doesn't matter what you own. It could be a basic Sentra it should be treated with respect by the employees.

They are trained and employees sign paperwork where there are consequences for breaking rules.

As you stated this dealership seems to be one of those that think they are above customers and can do as they please.

Old 09-03-10, 06:38 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Regarding the M5, the dealer must be fully responsible for the damage and depreciation since the messed up big time. All the games they are playing with him are unacceptable and if they want to continue playing it and be cheap, I say he should go public (news crew) and have the dealership tarred and feathered for their despicable conduct in "trying" to resolve this.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Rationality has flew out the window on this one. Having a fast car doesn't relinquish my right to have it treated properly at a dealership. They are under obligation to test drive it for the SOLE purpose of making sure the maintenance/repairs were done properly. And test drive doesn't mean burning rubber or driving it at unsafe speeds.

Since when did having a fast car give license to some stooge at the dealership to joy ride it? If they want to joy ride, ask the manager to drive the many new sports cars on the lot, not someone else's car that they are paying a pretty penny to drive. I would be extremely pissed if someone did that in my car.

How would you feel if someone at the dealership took out your customized GS350 for a joy ride just to see how fast it is or how well it corners with your mods? You don't have to answer that, I know you will not like it

Last edited by LB Lex; 09-03-10 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: BMW Dealer Crashes M5, Tries Screwing Owner Out Of $27K