Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Lexus IS F (Revised)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 03:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Opinions differ on that (of course, I respect yours). Apparantly, a number of Porsche owners (and commentators)sem to agree that the digital center-display inside the large tach does work. But, on the other hand, I don't think that Porsche, even given with the high prices of their vehicles, would spend time and money, at the factory, doing both a digital and an analog speedo display in the same vehicle (which just adds to production costs), if there wasn't a high demand for the analog stuff, too. I've never been a Porsche owner, but, in most cars, I tend to prefer the analog stuff myself. Same when I was a pilot.......I found that, scanning the cockpit under instrument-conditions (and turbulence), analog sweep-needles were easier to keep track of than a bunch of video-screens or flashing digital number all over the place (in an airplane, unlike a car, you MUST learn to multi-task, often several things at once......it is simply part of flying).

(the Nissan 370Z, if you are not already aware of it, also uses both analog/digital speedos, but does it the opposite of Porsche......they put the bigger analog gauge in the middle; the smaller add-on digital one off to the left).
you are missing the point - which is to be different than standard IS. And big tacho is definitely different and sportier.
Old 09-05-10, 03:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. I like the whole "new" IS range... what they did with F-sport packages is pretty great and it shows that they understand what is needed for the brand.

I am looking to buy new car, and depending on money situation, IS220d with F-Sport package is very high on the list. It looks superb here in Europe, real head turner. And as the model is getting a bit old, they are willing to work with you on special deals
Old 09-05-10, 06:00 PM
BMWdrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About suspension being firm/soft... Lexus should just provide an optional user-adjustable suspension, like BMW does with M3, and let people decide for themselves how soft/firm they want their ride to be.
Old 09-05-10, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
you are missing the point - which is to be different than standard IS. And big tacho is definitely different and sportier.
I'm not missing the point. The F-model is already is substantially different from the standard IS....and I understand the issue of a large tach. The issue, if you remember from my first post on it, was not so much the tach being too big or misplaced as it was the analog speedo being, IMO, too small. In effect, they robbed Peter to pay Paul.
Old 09-05-10, 07:55 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Some neat changes.............however:
-tail lights still not LED
-mirrors remained unchanged

Those two still come from the very first 2nd gen IS.

Otherwise, those are some neat changes........
The 2nd gen IS has always had LED taillights. They just became a bit more obvious with the refresh in 2009.
Old 09-05-10, 07:56 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

It NEEDS more power!!!! it should be pushing closer to 440 horse!!! to at least keep up with the new tt 3 series the F is way down on Toqure..
Old 09-05-10, 08:58 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

turbos giving an engine more torque than a comparable NA??? Thats unpossible
Old 09-05-10, 09:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. I like the whole "new" IS range... what they did with F-sport packages is pretty great and it shows that they understand what is needed for the brand.

I am looking to buy new car, and depending on money situation, IS220d with F-Sport package is very high on the list. It looks superb here in Europe, real head turner. And as the model is getting a bit old, they are willing to work with you on special deals
There is a new IS 200d being offered in Europe though it might be in the U.K only.

http://europeanmotornews.com/2010/08...lexus-is-200d/

Old 09-05-10, 10:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Opinions differ on that (of course, I respect yours). Apparantly, a number of Porsche owners (and commentators)sem to agree that the digital center-display inside the large tach does work. But, on the other hand, I don't think that Porsche, even given with the high prices of their vehicles, would spend time and money, at the factory, doing both a digital and an analog speedo display in the same vehicle (which just adds to production costs), if there wasn't a high demand for the analog stuff, too. I've never been a Porsche owner, but, in most cars, I tend to prefer the analog stuff myself. .
It's real simple, Porsche is as close to being a pure drivers car and they know what they are doing in this department. I do think Porsche knows how to spend their money wisely when it comes to dash board displays, and the setup is highly effective with the primary speed display being digital. I've driven them for thousands of miles effectively (without speeding tickets). Again this is the case of actually having extensive experience with the setup, not depending on non-related non-driving experiences, internet hearsay or hyperbole.

Getting back on topic, I'm confident that the IS-F gauge cluster will be carefully designed and more effective than the past one.

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-05-10 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-06-10, 05:13 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Red Bully
It NEEDS more power!!!! it should be pushing closer to 440 horse!!! to at least keep up with the new tt 3 series the F is way down on Toqure..
I'm sorry, what?
Old 09-06-10, 08:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is a new IS 200d being offered in Europe though it might be in the U.K only.

http://europeanmotornews.com/2010/08...lexus-is-200d/
in continental europe there will be both IS220d and IS200d, so 150hp and 177hp versions of 2.2l engine, which are very different.

In UK, a lot of people complained that their IS220d spends a lot of fuel compared to their 130hp FWD Audies that they are used to... and it does, since it is big turbo engine, together with DCAT, which is a long stronger cat than DPF installed on other cars (so it also spends more fuel).

So now they are getting 2.2l with 150hp and 340nm of torque, which is quieter and a lot better for the mileage engine with also better gearbox. When I tested the same engine in Avensis, vs all of the competition, it was cream of the crop.

However, with all the fuel spending and loudness, 177hp is still noticeably quicker :-). Difference is similar to the 3.0l vs 3.5l GR engines from GS.
Old 09-06-10, 09:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWdrvr
About suspension being firm/soft... Lexus should just provide an optional user-adjustable suspension, like BMW does with M3, and let people decide for themselves how soft/firm they want their ride to be.
So true!
Old 09-06-10, 09:25 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I'm really liking the refreshing changes, EXCEPT for that huge tach
Old 09-07-10, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by habeeb89
I'm really liking the refreshing changes, EXCEPT for that huge tach
agreed, i've never liked the huge tach in center - only makes sense to me if i'm on a track.
Old 09-07-10, 07:18 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
im looking forward to seeing the changes in the camber and this revised suspension that they reported. the alcantara in the seats is a nice touch. and the center console looks great with that darker look. the tachometer is unique to the F, which i can appreciate, and its kinda growing on me the more i look at it. but im with 1SICKLEX...the 08's were great to start off, and MY 10 got the LSD. great movement for the F in such a short time!
+1

Good to see Lexus making positive moves with this car.

Quick Reply: 2011 Lexus IS F (Revised)