Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Lexus IS F (Revised)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 03:30 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

its just the trickle down process will take a while. Not even the GS 3.5 has it, nor the LX or GX which theoretically should get it before the IS (however, I dont know how it might impact off roading in those vehicles).

The IS is on the bottom of the totem pole, it will (and should) get it last. That being said, Lexus should have 7 speeds out already for the rest of the line.
Old 09-09-10, 05:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
its just the trickle down process will take a while. Not even the GS 3.5 has it, nor the LX or GX which theoretically should get it before the IS (however, I dont know how it might impact off roading in those vehicles).

The IS is on the bottom of the totem pole, it will (and should) get it last. That being said, Lexus should have 7 speeds out already for the rest of the line.
It has less to do with being on the bottom of the totem pole in a product line-up. But it has more to do with when a car is redesigned. The IS was one of the first Lexi to get manumatic shifting (e-shift on 1IS) and then push button start (2IS). Typically when a model is totally redone is when they throw in all their latest mechanicals. You don't get such enhancements with facelifts. And that's all we've gotten with the IS since 2006... facelifts.
Old 09-09-10, 06:23 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It has less to do with being on the bottom of the totem pole in a product line-up. But it has more to do with when a car is redesigned. The IS was one of the first Lexi to get manumatic shifting (e-shift on 1IS) and then push button start (2IS). Typically when a model is totally redone is when they throw in all their latest mechanicals. You don't get such enhancements with facelifts. And that's all we've gotten with the IS since 2006... facelifts.
Well the LS400, LS430, SC430 and the current Camry all received transmission upgrades in their mid-cycle facelifts, so there's no good reason why the facelifted 2011 IS couldn't have got one too.
Old 09-10-10, 02:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
BMW already puts the 8-speed in the X3 (across the entire range, including even the 2.0 diesel) and soon the 3-series, so why should the IS stay put?
i thought BMW fans were telling us how 8 speeds are just overkill and not needed? .
Old 09-13-10, 07:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
i thought BMW fans were telling us how 8 speeds are just overkill and not needed? .
None that have actually owned or driven BMW's extensively.
Old 09-16-10, 11:22 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

2011 IS F Motortrend Review. Seems that the changes to the suspension has paid off.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

You'll have to look very closely to see the on-the-surface differences made to the refreshed 2011 Lexus IS F, which is slated to make its world debut at this month's 2010 Paris auto show. In fact the only revision to the IS F's exterior are newly fitted LED driving lights, supposedly added to make the Lexus easier to spot at high speeds (and not to follow the Audi-led trend).

Working within a tight budget, chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi tells us that he was basically happy with the car's exterior styling and that he placed far more importance on "taking the IS F to the next level in handling and ride quality." Good idea, because the IS F was certainly in need of some next level work in that area.

With its throaty exhaust note, the IS F is a beast, packing a 416 horsepower, 5.0-liter V-8 mated to an 8-speed, flappy-paddle gearbox. But pushed hard, the car's chassis would become unsettled, especially at the rear end.

That is not the case with the 2011 revision, which squats nicely in the corners and hangs on like an angry pit bull. Behind the wheel of a pre-production Australian-spec model at Fuji Speedway recently, we were more than impressed at the improvements that Yaguchi and his team have made to the car's high-speed cornering stability.

Although the powertrain and the car's 3800-lb curb weight remain the same, the suspension settings have been totally recalibrated. The combination of spring rate revisions and dampers, fitted with new high performance valves in addition to reinforced suspension member connectors and bushes, permit more front-end suspension stroke yet firm up the rear end. This generates greater traction and stability at high speeds. An unexpected byproduct of this revision is the car's more compliant ride, which Yaguchi says "was a bonus but something we aimed for." Adjustments to the steering power-assist mechanism made for more precise and accurate turn-in as well as greater feedback through the wheel.

The results are that the 2011 IS F can now be pushed even harder into corners; it stays more composed under heavy braking, at turn-in, and while experiencing changes of road camber and elevation. The IS F also exhibits less understeer and more rear wheel grip and stability. In fact, the rear end is now so tied down that a slight enhancement of front-end downforce might generate even greater all-round traction and stability. The new model laps the 2.8-mile Fuji Speedway in 2 minutes, 3.4 seconds -- nearly two seconds faster than its predecessor -- thanks to Yaguchi's subtle, yet substantial, modifications.

To elevate the driving experience even further, Yaguchi completely rethought the instrumentation layout and borrowed design hints from well-known sports cars like Porsche and Ferrari. As a result, the IS F now features a large, centrally located tachometer which spins to a 6800-rpm redline, along with a newly added gear selector and speed gauge. To the right of the tach is a smaller analog speedometer, which Yaguchi says is "...a novelty, just there to show potential buyers that the car is capable of 300 kmh (186 mph)."

Another idea borrowed from Europe's hottest sports cars (ahem, BMW) is the newly fitted shift indicator situated inside the top half of the tachometer. While accelerating hard and concentrating on nailing the right lines around a track, a row of lights illuminate within your lower peripheral vision and make it far easier to sense on-the-limit engine revs than in the outgoing model. This new system lights one orange LED at 5000 rpm, another at 5500 rpm and a "shift now" red light at 6500 rpm. "And don't worry, we did not fit automatic up-shifts. The driver has to change gears, even bouncing off the redline," stresses Yaguchi.

Yet another strategic addition (that you won't find on export models, unfortunately) is the 'circuit mode,' a la the Nissan GT-R. It may not mean anything to you, but it does illustrate just how much effort Yaguchi and Co. have put into the revised IS F. Now fitted with a hi-tech GPS sat-nav device programmed with Japan's 14 registered race tracks, the IS F will automatically disengage its 180 kmh (112 mph) speed limiter (all Japanese domestic cars come equipped with such a speed limiter) when the vehicle enters a race track. After the track session, and only if the driver so desires, the system will send the vehicle's lap times to a central dealer database accessible by all IS F owners, thus setting up a platform for bragging rights to best laps. Neat trick...

So, when will we see this bright-eyed, better-handling IS F? We'll likely know more during the Paris show press days (Sept. 30-Oct. 1), but we expect to see the revised model here soon. After all, Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda, an ardent racing fan who has piloted a Lexus LFA in the 24-hours of Nurburgring, says he wants to add more "fun" to his cars. And where better to start than with one of the company's highest performing vehicles?
Old 09-16-10, 11:31 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

"The new model laps the 2.8-mile Fuji Speedway in 2 minutes, 3.4 seconds -- nearly two seconds faster than its predecessor -- thanks to Yaguchi's subtle, yet substantial, modifications."

Very nice. I assume/hope that the "predecessor" is referring to the 2010 model, which was already said to be 2 seconds faster than the 2008 model around Fuji Speedway.

Hopefully a new track test with the M3 is coming soon.
Old 09-16-10, 11:33 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
2011 IS F Motortrend Review. Seems that the changes to the suspension has paid off.

Yep, read that and like the fact it rides better on the street now with new suspension tweaks
Old 09-16-10, 11:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Yep, read that and like the fact it rides better on the street now with new suspension tweaks
This is all good news and progress on a budget, nicely done by Lex.
Old 09-16-10, 01:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

fixed the link

Old 09-16-10, 02:00 PM
LexFather

This part was cool.

Yet another strategic addition (that you won't find on export models, unfortunately) is the 'circuit mode,' a la the Nissan GT-R. It may not mean anything to you, but it does illustrate just how much effort Yaguchi and Co. have put into the revised IS F. Now fitted with a hi-tech GPS sat-nav device programmed with Japan's 14 registered race tracks, the IS F will automatically disengage its 180 kmh (112 mph) speed limiter (all Japanese domestic cars come equipped with such a speed limiter) when the vehicle enters a race track. After the track session, and only if the driver so desires, the system will send the vehicle's lap times to a central dealer database accessible by all IS F owners, thus setting up a platform for bragging rights to best laps. Neat trick...

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0zjE9Mm8k

Old 09-16-10, 02:24 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I want a IS-F. I also want a lot of other things. I think 2011 looks a lot more attractive.
Old 09-16-10, 02:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
I want a IS-F. I also want a lot of other things. I think 2011 looks a lot more attractive.
Wanting is good, keeps us motivated.
Old 09-16-10, 02:56 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I dont even mind the ricey body any more...
Old 09-16-10, 03:14 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by STIG
I want a IS-F. I also want a lot of other things....
Originally Posted by IS-SV
Wanting is good, keeps us motivated.
I believe these will be on my tombstone

Quick Reply: 2011 Lexus IS F (Revised)