Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Green light for a FWD Acura TSX Sportwagon

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Green light for a FWD Acura TSX Sportwagon

It's probably not fresh news that the TSX Sportwagon is coming to the U.S. this fall (the TSX, of course, being essentially the non-U.S. Accord platform). The latest news, though, is that the V6, SH-AWD, and raised-suspension (like on the Honda Crosstour) will not be offered on the U.S.-market version. Instead, we'll get FWD, a 201 HP 2.4L four and 5-speed automatic Still, 201 HP isn't bad for a N/A four...though Honda 4-bangers are generally not known for torque.

A shame, as I see it, for two reasons.

First, the TSX Sportwagon, IMO, is a much better-looking car, style-wise, than the Honda Crosstour. Some of you have refered to the Crosstour with a vulgar, four-letter word.....I don't use that kind of language myself, but I agree that its looks can't compare with that of the Sportwagon, and the Sportwagon's more-conservative squarish roofline will (probably) mean more room inside and better rear-vision.

Second, it's a shame that the Crosstour got the Outback-fighting V6, raised-suspension, and AWD, instead of the much-better-looking TSX wagon (the Crosstour also, of course, competes with the Toyota Venza). I understand Honda's market reasoning that a potential Subaru competitor would (probably) sell better under the Honda nameplate than than Acura, but the Crosstour could have easily been a rebadged version of the TSX Sportwagon (or even a wagon-version of the U.S.-market Accord, which is slightly larger than the non-U.S. version the TSX is based on).

That's not to say that the Crosstour is a bad vehicle, though, by any means....once you get past its somewhat awkward looks. I reviewed a Crosstour, and, like most Honda/Acura products, was impressed with its build quality and road manners.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...acura-for-2011

Most of the news at Honda’s sporty Acura brand revolves around the TSX line for 2011, primarily the introduction of the TSX Sport Wagon. Acura wagon fans will have to make do with the TSX’s 2.4-liter 201-bhp 4-cylinder, as the 280-bhp V-6 from the sedan will not be offered. Enthusiasts might also miss Acura’s excellent 6-speed manual, as the Sport Wagon will come only with a 5-speed automatic (albeit with steering wheel paddle shifters). Acura promises this combo will return 30 mpg on the highway. Prices haven’t been announced, but expect the Sport Wagon to fall in between the $29,310 TSX 4-cylinder and $34,850 V-6 sedans. All TSXs are getting a mid-cycle refresh, with new front and rear fascias, updated taillights, new 5-spoke alloy wheels, revised transmission shift logic and a new navigation system.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-04-10 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-04-10, 07:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

FWD, a 201 HP 2.4L four and 5-speed automatic
Should have been AWD, 280hp 3.5L V6 and 6-speed automatic

Sigh* Honda should just close up shop
Old 09-04-10, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Should have been AWD, 280hp 3.5L V6 and 6-speed automatic
For most people (but not necessarily CL members), the V6, AWD and raised-suspension are probably more significant issues than the 6-speed auto. But I see your point.

Just for the record, BTW, the new 2011 RL is getting the 6-speed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-04-10 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-04-10, 09:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Venza is still my preference for many reasons, including all of what Hoovey2411 mentioned.
Old 09-04-10, 10:02 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I still like the Venza more too. However, I do have to admit as Wagons go this one is surprisingly not bad looking even with the beak grill. For the first time on the current Acura's the grill doesn't stand out and isn't the first thing you notice.
Old 09-05-10, 02:42 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

venza is my fave too. i would change the grill into a mesh grill or paint it black.
Old 09-05-10, 04:14 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Nice.........though I couldn't understand why they couldn't offer a V6 engine (like the Sedan version has).

Could it be technical then? I doubt it but I don't know.....

Still
I recommend that whatever they offer in the sedan, they do so in the wagon version.

@regarding lack of AWD
JDM models (previous-gen) offered electric 4WD versions in both 2.0 and 2.4 liter models. For this new gen (DBA-CU2), they didn't even offer a 4WD option (even in Japan). I'm puzzled about that.

I would love to get one even more if it had 4WD
Old 09-05-10, 08:50 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marketing-wise, an AWD-V6 would be getting too pricey and not sell.

As it is, the V-6 sedan sells in very low numbers because it comes very close to the TL in price. Add AWD, and it would cost more than a FWD TL.

Honda traditionally limits options to make production leaner. It doesn't make too much sense to offer a version that will find very little real world buyers. Everyone who wishes for it online wouldn't even buy one.
Old 09-05-10, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Marketing-wise, an AWD-V6 would be getting too pricey and not sell.
Well, why wouldn't it be pricier than an equivalent Honda? That only makes sense.....it's an Acura.

As it is, the V-6 sedan sells in very low numbers because it comes very close to the TL in price. Add AWD, and it would cost more than a FWD TL.
Not sure I agree. Even price-excluded, a number of TSX buyers (probably) just can't take the TL's awkward looks. I like the TL's mechanics myself (it's a well-built machine), but I don't think I would want a car that looks like that.

Honda traditionally limits options to make production leaner.
True.......they generally market more by trim level, not options, but the effect is still more or less the same. It would be (basically) like the difference between the Legacy Wagon (now discontinued) and the Outback.

It doesn't make too much sense to offer a version that will find very little real world buyers. Everyone who wishes for it online wouldn't even buy one.
Can't speak for others, but I would strongly consider a raised-suspension, AWD model if they did one, even if it didn't have the V6, though I'd prefer the V6 over the 4. It would be in my Top 5 consideration....maybe the Top 3.
Old 09-05-10, 03:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

I drove Euro Accord Wagon last year, which is what this is, and it is nice car... big problem is going to be small boot as this is stylish euro wagon, not bag mover... you are going to be disappointed there. If you are sitting in the back seat, your head is half way in the trunk
Old 09-05-10, 04:12 PM
LexFather

Well at least they are bringing the Euro Accord wagon over but I-4, Auto only makes it seem feeble compared to their own Crossturd as Mike already noted which is V-6 only.

The last TSX was a good deal, the current model is overpriced to me and ridiculously overpriced with the V-6.

Old 09-05-10, 10:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I always considered the Venza to be a bit of a niche vehicle, but when I see how it blows away Crossturd sales and most likely will easily outsell the TSX wagon.........