Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have you ever taken an airbag to the face?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 12:10 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Have you ever taken an airbag to the face?

As someone who has never been in a crash where an airbag deployed, I figured I'd ask persons who have, what was your experience? Did the bag hurt? Bruising? Irritation from chemicals?

Curiosity and all..... don't wanna find out the hard way.
Old 09-06-10, 12:18 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of roommates did. She got a big scar on her cheek but it was barely noticeable after treatment and some time

I've been hit a couple times but luckily nothing in the front to set off the bag
Old 09-06-10, 12:51 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

ive been in the backseat of a car when the airbags came out. All i remember was the nauseating smell. If it makes a difference, this was in a 90s benz.
Old 09-06-10, 01:36 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
As someone who has never been in a crash where an airbag deployed, I figured I'd ask persons who have, what was your experience? Did the bag hurt? Bruising? Irritation from chemicals?

Curiosity and all..... don't wanna find out the hard way.
All I can say is it's like getting socked in the face with a boxing glove. It stuns you at first, but it doesn't necessarily hurt. I totaled my LS400 about 5 years ago as I slammed into a parked car on the highway late at night. This woman apparently had just had an accident herself and turned off all her lights while still being in the right lane just over a hill on the expressway ( ). It was like having a wall come up in front me as I was doing 65 MPH. My LS was totaled, but it saved my life - and the air bag went off as it should.

No bruising or irritation - a slight sting in the face, but nothing terrible - no scars or anything like that
Old 09-06-10, 02:10 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here we go...
Old 09-06-10, 02:20 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

My friend was in an accident and this is what he told me.

He was driving down the road and heard a loud bang....less than 1 second later.....whiteness. He said he couldn't even see the bag blow up. He described the feeling of being punched in the face.

What ended up happening was that his tire blew up and he hit a telephone pole at ~40mph.
Old 09-06-10, 06:03 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc-driver
My friend was in an accident and this is what he told me.

He was driving down the road and heard a loud bang....less than 1 second later.....whiteness. He said he couldn't even see the bag blow up. He described the feeling of being punched in the face.
How far away from the steering wheel does he sit from the steering wheel? I've seen way too many elderly people that sit with their face being only about 6 inches from the wheel, so instead of having your head landing into an inflated bag, they're literally getting popped in the face by something that deploys in seconds. That's gotta hurt!!
Old 09-06-10, 06:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beware! NWS language:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vppxu70Wojo
Old 09-06-10, 07:57 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend drove drunk, hit a parked car and went up on a curb.

She said that she woke up to a fog (the gases of the bag) and thought she was in Heaven.

She was put in handcuffs after being checked out by the EMTs.

She told me that she had no idea what hit her - she has a big bosom and that she had bruising all over her chest. She was very purple and in pain. Her face was not bruised at all. She also had a mark on her shoulder from the seat belt.

I think it took about a week and a half for the bruising to turn yellow.

Needless to say, she totaled the Corvette.
Old 09-06-10, 08:29 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by Hil
One of roommates did. She got a big scar on her cheek but it was barely noticeable after treatment and some time

I've been hit a couple times but luckily nothing in the front to set off the bag
Did she get hit by the emblem?

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
All I can say is it's like getting socked in the face with a boxing glove. It stuns you at first, but it doesn't necessarily hurt. I totaled my LS400 about 5 years ago as I slammed into a parked car on the highway late at night. This woman apparently had just had an accident herself and turned off all her lights while still being in the right lane just over a hill on the expressway ( ). It was like having a wall come up in front me as I was doing 65 MPH. My LS was totaled, but it saved my life - and the air bag went off as it should.

No bruising or irritation - a slight sting in the face, but nothing terrible - no scars or anything like that
Sounds like you got out good. Better than the girl above for sure. I hope it takes it easy me if I ever have to have one deploy.
Old 09-06-10, 10:35 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Hahahaha!! That was hilarious.
Old 09-06-10, 11:30 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecr527
How far away from the steering wheel does he sit from the steering wheel? I've seen way too many elderly people that sit with their face being only about 6 inches from the wheel, so instead of having your head landing into an inflated bag, they're literally getting popped in the face by something that deploys in seconds. That's gotta hurt!!
He sits as far back as possible. He was in a big older suv. GMC Yukon? Apparently those air bags are pretty big.
Old 09-06-10, 12:20 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

you cant be hit by the emblem because the airbag actually comes out if a slit, or a weakpoint in the steering wheel airbag cover. On cheaper cars, you can actually see suc ha weakpoint in the steering wheel. And I have heard that the farther you sit away from the steering wheel, the better.
Old 09-06-10, 01:37 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

You can easily be hit by an emblem if you're one of the ricers gluing chrome emblems to the steering wheel.
Old 09-06-10, 08:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know of somebody that did not have an airbag, but was properly belted in a head on crash in her Integra. The scar from her face hitting steering wheel rim was never completely erased by plastic surgery but it was diminshed.

Quick Reply: Have you ever taken an airbag to the face?