Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Toyota plans budget sports car line

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 06:08 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come I never see the automakers "plan" to make SUVs and crossovers. All of a sudden a new SUV would just pop into the market from nowhere. When it comes to "sports car" they need to plan for decades and eventually abandon the "plan" and let's make a boxy crossover instead. I am not too greedy, one or two true sports car from each automaker is enough, considering almost all of them each have at least two to three SUVs/crossovers besides three to four sedans. Look at Mazda, a relatively small automaker has MX-5 and RX-8, this must put Toyota to shame. Oh forgive me, Toyota does have one true sports car, that is Lexus LF-A which costs about 10 MX-5s and 10 RX-8s combined.
Old 09-08-10, 06:30 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ It's all about the market too, Toyota's vision has really been about being a MPG/reliability leader, if they suddenly dropped everything just to get a bite of the sports market (again) it would throw things out of whack. Especially with Hyundai being a legit competitor in this market, I think Toyota definitely needs to keep up with this market segment and branch out slowly, even though it's been slow enough.
Old 09-09-10, 05:33 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
The flat four simply sounds awful to me. Like an old VW bug, or, worse, a Saturn with a plug wire missing. Awful, awful, awful!
Originally Posted by Koma
The flat four in the FT86 doesn't use unequal length headers. So it'll sound more like most engines out there today.

Personally I like the sound of unequal length headers.
^^ What he said. The flat 4 offers an amazing opportunity for compact packaging, extreme balance and very low center of gravity. Perfect for a sports car. Equal length headers (which the FT-86 will apparently come with) get rid of the burbly sound.

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
How come I never see the automakers "plan" to make SUVs and crossovers. All of a sudden a new SUV would just pop into the market from nowhere. When it comes to "sports car" they need to plan for decades and eventually abandon the "plan" and let's make a boxy crossover instead. I am not too greedy, one or two true sports car from each automaker is enough, considering almost all of them each have at least two to three SUVs/crossovers besides three to four sedans. Look at Mazda, a relatively small automaker has MX-5 and RX-8, this must put Toyota to shame. Oh forgive me, Toyota does have one true sports car, that is Lexus LF-A which costs about 10 MX-5s and 10 RX-8s combined.
While I agree with you mostly, there aren't many sports cars that sell as much as the MX-5. Cars that don't ell stop getting made, so you can in fact blame the car buying public to an extent. Mazda have a winning formula with the MX-5 (cheap, fun), and I think the FT will be an extension to that.