Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Toyota plans budget sports car line

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 11:06 AM
LexFather

Post Report: Toyota plans budget sports car line

Toyota has 50% of the car market in Japan so they are the clear leader there. If they bring the cheap sport surely other brands will follow which is great for all enthusiasts.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/05/r...orts-car-line/

Akio Toyoda may want to bring driving excitement back to Toyota, but he and his team have two major hurdles to overcome: The brands's limited enthusiast base and the fact that Japan's youth have very little interest in cars.

To combat both fronts, Toyota plans to launch a new line of budget-oriented vehicles that offer a modicum of sport. But so far, things don't look too promising.

Despite debuting an FT-86-based concept at this year's Tokyo Auto Salon, Toyota's G Sports line of products have mainly focused on the Voxy and Noah minivans, while a "sports" version of the Prius is apparently in the works.

More interestingly, the Mainichi Daily News reports that a version of the GRMN sports car concept has been given the greenlight, meaning a mid-engined hybrid successor to the MR2 is in the works.

All these developments come after Toyota established a sports vehicle management division in January, which now has a hand in the brand's overall product planning. We should get a look at the fruits of their labors during next year's auto show season and could see this new breed of budget sports vehicles on the market – at least in Japan – within the next few years.

Old 09-06-10, 11:43 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, I'll believe it when I see it. Right now its all just talk....
Old 09-06-10, 12:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Uhmmm...

Scion?

The brand just needs further organization and definition...
Old 09-06-10, 02:42 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not holding my breath on this... FT-86 is already talking too long and will probably cost too much...
Old 09-06-10, 08:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, but please wake me when something really happens.
Old 09-06-10, 08:45 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The internet really makes the wait hard for car enthusiasts these days.....
Old 09-06-10, 09:15 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

I see this all the time, articles about why Toyota wont make sports cars and they all say Japanese youth are not interested in cars. from my experience of living in japan, Japanese youth do not have little interest in cars, maybe if you did a pole from the first 10 you met in central Tokyo but that's not representing the nations youth.. I could sit at a traffic light in the town i lived in and of the 20 or so cars around me there would be 5 highly modded sports cars, supras, soarers, skylines, silvias, you could hit a mountain road rest area any night of the week and there will be 10-20 people meeting up to race or drift. autobacs witch is there version of napa, advance, kragen, autozone is full of aftermarket parts, coil overs rims exhausts ect. car meets where thousands of cars show up unlike maybe 20 or so here. Japanese car culture is no joke. it puts American car culture to shame, and i mean all of American car culture not just the Japanese car people. so saying japanese youth isnt into cars is a joke, if not there youth then someone is.
Old 09-06-10, 09:16 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good thing I kept my AW11 MR2...

I'll be old and grey before the replacement comes out.

The FT-86's flat four engine is a deal-breaker for me.
Old 09-06-10, 09:45 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully some off these plans come to light.
Old 09-07-10, 09:49 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Good thing I kept my AW11 MR2...

I'll be old and grey before the replacement comes out.

The FT-86's flat four engine is a deal-breaker for me.
Why?

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck
I see this all the time, articles about why Toyota wont make sports cars and they all say Japanese youth are not interested in cars. from my experience of living in japan, Japanese youth do not have little interest in cars, maybe if you did a pole from the first 10 you met in central Tokyo but that's not representing the nations youth.. I could sit at a traffic light in the town i lived in and of the 20 or so cars around me there would be 5 highly modded sports cars, supras, soarers, skylines, silvias, you could hit a mountain road rest area any night of the week and there will be 10-20 people meeting up to race or drift. autobacs witch is there version of napa, advance, kragen, autozone is full of aftermarket parts, coil overs rims exhausts ect. car meets where thousands of cars show up unlike maybe 20 or so here. Japanese car culture is no joke. it puts American car culture to shame, and i mean all of American car culture not just the Japanese car people. so saying japanese youth isnt into cars is a joke, if not there youth then someone is.
maybe they are not into buying NEW cars?
Old 09-07-10, 11:17 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Why?
The flat four simply sounds awful to me. Like an old VW bug, or, worse, a Saturn with a plug wire missing. Awful, awful, awful!
Old 09-08-10, 08:15 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
The flat four simply sounds awful to me. Like an old VW bug, or, worse, a Saturn with a plug wire missing. Awful, awful, awful!
The flat four in the FT86 doesn't use unequal length headers. So it'll sound more like most engines out there today.

Personally I like the sound of unequal length headers.
Old 09-08-10, 02:43 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Phil is right on the money, Scion appears to be the brand targeted at the younger buyers, they should take that and run with it and give Scion some more *****...... here in car chat we all talk about car companies that [should] have separate divisions for different cars, so Toyota should stick with it's family/MPG orientated vehicles, Lexus to luxury and Scion to sporty/youthful
Old 09-08-10, 02:51 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

A sports version Prius? I wonder what that's gonna look like?
Old 09-08-10, 03:07 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Was there not a thread not even two months ago about a car smaller than the FT-86 that Naruse helped develop that will come to market in a couple years?

Quick Reply: Report: Toyota plans budget sports car line