Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 09:38 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the latest and the upcoming korean cars is the next big exciting thing to come out of asia!

these are interesting times in the automotive industry as the economy comes out of a rut!

the korean automotive brand will be the next big move in terms of supplying the aftermarket industry with some fuel to drive business.

it's funny cuz the korean aftermarket industry is a very high quality segment compared to what is now available for jdm...of which most are made in...you guessed it! CHINA! the kdm aftermarket parts are all made in korea and most from the oem itself.

korea is now known to be the source of high quality garment manufacturing, high end clothing companies are all manufactured in korea where the best of the best is produced...same goes with electronics. In fact, just a few years ago a car audio amp was considered junk when coming from korea....guess what it is now ?

so the prices u see for the genny and equus will be short lived, if your planning to get one u better do it fast because once the "perception" totally changes then the prices will be in line with the toyota's and nissans.
Old 09-08-10, 09:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
so the prices u see for the genny and equus will be short lived, if your planning to get one u better do it fast because once the "perception" totally changes then the prices will be in line with the toyota's and nissans.
Don't know about that. So far the prices for the "genny" have been hitting rock bottom, with discounts and low lease rates.
Old 09-08-10, 09:46 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

did u not read my post ? I said in the near future.

Originally Posted by Och
Don't know about that. So far the prices for the "genny" have been hitting rock bottom, with discounts and low lease rates.
Old 09-08-10, 09:54 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You first.....
Old 09-08-10, 09:58 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I just took delivery of a new 2011 sonata...my friend just bought two of them, one for him and one for his son.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
You first.....
Old 09-08-10, 09:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

did u not read my post ? I said in the near future.
I don't know about that. If you look at other makers, the trends is to go upwards. S class, LS, 7 - they all been consistently increasing in price. The original LS added $10k to the price in its first or second years of being on sale, and people snatched it like hot cakes.

With the Genesis the trend is already set and the price is going down - whether its crazy lease rates or discounts. I doubt if thats going to reverse.
Old 09-08-10, 10:03 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The HIGHER THE PRICE, the MORE THE BADGE/PRESTIGE/PANACHE matters. Period. The majority of these buyers don't care about value, they are already dropping SERIOUS COIN on a car. They want to project the image that "THEY HAVE ARRIVED" in life and they let the car do the talking.
He's right. Equus is a S-class, 7 series competitor. This is a weird part of the luxury car market where price is irrelevant. The S-class is the leader even though it still costs more than its competitors. Brand perception is a big deal here.

To be fair to Hyundai, it's launched the Gen and Eq into a recessionary market. Hard to meet sales targets for a new brand when the home ATM is closed and unemployment is 10%.

Without competition, the German makers were happy to sit on their haunches with bad electronics and reliability issues. If Hyundai forces M/B/Lex to improve then more power to them
Old 09-08-10, 10:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's not that those brands are 'lesser known' it's that they've not earned a reputation (or had it but lost it) as being a real player in high end cars.
We are saying the same thing differently. They are lesser known though.
about brand, prestige, etc., i don't think anyone is denying hyundai has a tough road and won't waltz into this market. even if genesis hasn't met sales goals though, selling nearly 3000 last month in this crap economy is impressive!
I think it is a good sign as sales have gone up. That said they wanted to sell 50k Genesis, 30k coupes, 20k sedans and they haven't been CLOSE to that 50k figure. Then lets add in the fact they have substantial discounts now. They sell Genesis at Costco. If you got the Hyundai hompeage the first thing seen is $399 a month and $15000 off the Genesis sedan. Its helping sales. The only Lexus you can get for $399 a month is an IS 250 or ES 350 as a comparison.

anyway, if a company wants to move upmarket, they've got to start somewhere. in the mid-late 80s that meant starting a new brand. toyota also made a brand for 'youth-oriented' vehicles (scion). hyundai's decided for now they're not dropping billions on a new brand. might work, might not. they might have a completely different time horizon than us though - they might be ok that it might take decades to slowly take hyundai up market and use kia for mainstream vehicles.
What I've said before is if they don't get a separate brand what Hyundai will do is then be "Premium" to Ford, Toyota, Honda, Chevy etc. Only VW will offer what Hyundai will, 10k-80k cars. Thus VW, Hyundai can been see as "higher level" than the others that don't sell premium products under their own roof. The strategy hasn't worked for VW but they are a bad example to use (as they are seemingly clueless in the American market). Hyundai has a good chance to raise brand awareness even more so with the Equus.

but i believe something fundamental has changed, because the ECONOMY has changed, likely for a long time. we're going to be WHACKED by healthcare costs and new taxes soon. many people will end up only buying 'presitgious' brands by buying used because that's all they can afford. others may decide to take a look at a 'value' - like genesis. the equus is a tough sell because if money's tight, who wants to drive around in a modern day cadillac with all that bling? i expect hyundai will have to learn to tone it down with a refresh.

regardless, they had to start somewhere if they want to have a chance in the game.
\

I think something has changed but differently. Looking at sales the luxury market is fine. Its actually EXPLODING in this recession. In contrast the non luxury brands are not doing as hot. Leads me to believe the gap between rich/poor continues to grow and those with money WILL spend it and those without it, can't.

Quite a few of us felt there would be a shift to non luxury goods due to a change in mentality but that has not happened. People still want their luxury brands.

Is there a group of people that could care less about badges? Yes. That group doesn't buy enough cars though. Ask the RL, Q45 or Phaeton. Yes, they sold/sell but not in large enough numbers.

Again, its great to see the Equus here but its not 1989 again and no one is running to the drawing boards to start over. The "WON" is the Equus biggest friend now.

Related, the new A8 will be here as well and while it looks like any Audi sedan the last 30 years reviews have been glowing over its interior, ride and MPG.

Old 09-08-10, 10:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by werewolf
He's right. Equus is a S-class, 7 series competitor. This is a weird part of the luxury car market where price is irrelevant. The S-class is the leader even though it still costs more than its competitors. Brand perception is a big deal here.

To be fair to Hyundai, it's launched the Gen and Eq into a recessionary market. Hard to meet sales targets for a new brand when the home ATM is closed and unemployment is 10%.

Without competition, the German makers were happy to sit on their haunches with bad electronics and reliability issues. If Hyundai forces M/B/Lex to improve then more power to them
Thanks. Lets look at the Panamera. Its not very good looking, it only seats 4, its a hatchback and while it has some great attributes (great interior, performance, utility) the PORSCHE crest is why this vehicle is in high demand. Porsche is selling 600-800 units a month here and it starts around 80k and hits 180k with options. That is an incredible feat at that price. It was launched in a down market, they have 20,000 orders for it. The RICH want that badge and are willing to pay for it. Not sure how this simple concept is somehow thrown out the window when some new car comes from a lesser known brand.

I agree 100% if Hyundai helps make the status quo better I'm all for it, especially since I will be buying the status quo

the latest and the upcoming korean cars is the next big exciting thing to come out of asia!
Not really, the LFA is.

t
Sorry Mike disagree. Hyundai/Kia is going to leverage their advantage with pricing and the "won" as long as they can and any proper business will do the same. Lexus, Infiniti launched when the Yen was high, helping them keep the price down. In 5 years the LS went from 35k to 55k as the yen lowered and they had to raise prices.

Today the yen is getting hammered and prices for exported goods from Japan are rising. That is why the Infiniti M37/56 is struggling some, its priced from 47k-70k which is substantially higher than the last model.

Japanese companies have a huge problem with the yen trading where it is against the dollar.

It is in Hyundai's best interest to keep prices of the Genesis and Equus as low as possible.

Old 09-08-10, 10:18 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

a well equipped lexus GS is already pushing 50k, the e class benz is in the 50k range...so the equus covers different segments.

as of now, I'd rather be different and roll in a equus or genny sedan, if money permitted that is.

Originally Posted by werewolf

Old 09-08-10, 10:36 AM
Fulorian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROFL, $15000 off on the Genesis? That's just plain falsehood.

399 a month? Maybe on a lease with a huge downpayment.

If you're going to make such a sweeping, ridiculous statement, please substantiate it with documentation.

Last edited by Fulorian; 09-08-10 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-08-10, 10:52 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

a well equipped lexus GS is already pushing 50k, the e class benz is in the 50k range...so the equus covers different segments.

as of now, I'd rather be different and roll in a equus or genny sedan, if money permitted that is.
I disagree. Look at the body, general size and marketing approach. The Genesis is the e-class and 5-series competitor. No way Hyundai enters the luxury at the same price point as BMW / Lexus / MB, that's suicide
Old 09-08-10, 11:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fulorian
ROFL, $15000 off on the Genesis? That's just plain falsehood.

399 a month? Maybe on a lease with a huge downpayment.

If you're going to make such a sweeping, ridiculous statement, please substantiate it with documentation.
Sorry, Typo, $1500. You can also go to carsdirect and get over $1500 off without beginning to haggle.

Its right there on your homepage

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/

I strongly suggest not joining here just to argue about Hyundai/Kia.

Old 09-08-10, 11:29 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the issue is that people wont aspire to get the equus like they do an S class/7/LS/A8. Apsiring toward this in a sense doesnt mean anything because there isnt much prestige attached to the car nor the brand. And if you buy this car, nobody will be impressed.

The S class costs the most, but it is also the best...This costs the least, and it is also the...
Old 09-08-10, 11:37 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

u can get a new genesis base for 33k out the door!

add 1500 for navi and your at 34.5k out the door!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry, Typo, $1500. You can also go to carsdirect and get over $1500 off without beginning to haggle.

Its right there on your homepage

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/

I strongly suggest not joining here just to argue about Hyundai/Kia.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Equus