Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Observations of a car fanatic- quest for the perfect car

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 04:47 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Observations of a car fanatic- quest for the perfect car

This for enjoyment so hopefully I don't get flamed for a "wasted" post I'm sure some folks are curious as to where I'm "at" in the process these days.

So for the last 19 months (due in no small part to our oft-mentioned project delays), I have made and had the time to drive most every car, truck, and SUV made. Because of that, my list of preferred car has changed as many times as the sun rises and sets, but give a man enough time and he will finally reach some decisions. In the course of my "hunt", I had to raise the bar- first $60K, then $100K, and finally $180K. The list has now topped 150. First though...

I drove some 85 miles today on a beautiful 62 degree day to a luxury complex in Appleton WI that included: Audi, Porsche, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Lexus, Acura, VW, Mazda, and Hyundai. As our project is just shy of the finish line, it was time to get some final perspectives. So I gave the last "inside" inspection of the following cars of which I have grown to have a passion. Just today, and in no particular order (all new):

Porsche 911 S- amazing
Porsche Cayman S- even better, and better bang for the $
Porsche Cayenne turbo- incredible, but...
Audi S5- my first #1, beauty incarnate
Audi S6- wow, but.. it's stealth, looks like a A6
Audi R8- no explanation, if it just had some more room... well... maybe not..
BMW X5M- %#*&!!!
Mercedes E550 coupe- luxury, if softer seat the height of elegance
BMW 550i- beast, and spacious
Lexus GX460- lux 4-Runner
Lexus IS350- No IS-F, which I'd take
Lexus LX570- lux SUV perfected
BMW 335is- surprising here, but I liked it over the M3 on the street
Range Rover SS- not a fan
Porsche Panamera- 3/4 view kills it
Mercedes SL550- niiiiiice, but ohh the service issues
Mercedes ML63 AMG- 11/15 mpg= sorry

The main reason was to see an B7 Alpina (which the owner had unfortunately picked up) and the X5M. I was NOT disappointed

The conclusion- try as I might (and there are other cars on my favorite list not mentioned) there is no one car to satisfy all my criteria (sports, handling, luxury, ease-of-use, some "storage space", passenger room, technology, towing capability, many more).

I can honestly say, if there is one car that can come close to "do it all", it is the X5M. There is, in my opinion, NOTHING that does all the X5M can do, period. Cayenne turbo? Nope, and it's $25K more. I could list paragraphs of superlatives, just suffice to say that if I needed just one car to "do it all", the X5M, at $95K LOADED is it

So is it enough? Or does a fanatic need a true sports car? Towing is big for me down the road, what if I delete that need? And what is your criteria for "sports car"? Track machine? If so, I'll take the R8 or Cayman S please, Corvette Z06 in third. But I live in WI (poor roads) and like to drive on back country roads too. In addition, even if I had more money than Oprah, would I really want to drive my Aston on these roads and beat up the car and my kidneys? Maybe an R8 and a towing vehicle???

So, in conclusion, I believe the perfect car comes down to where you live as much as if you plan to track it only. Or if a sedan "rocket" can be driven where you live 12 months a year. S6 is VERY tempting here. For me, I want to drive it on the street. If needed I can thrash someone ele's ride on the track, not mine. Therefore, the final list from 13 months ago has changed quite a bit... with one exception... But for my criteria, the X5M is the perfect "car". But for a true driving fanatic, is it enough or would you have to settle????

Last note- driving home, tired, watching cops pulling over speeders, dealing with traffic, thoughts also cross the mind: do you REALLY need a "sports car" ever????

I will leave this as Part I for now, Part II hopefully posts "shortly"... the last decision is to split into a "sports car" and a daily driver (2 cars). Part II will have the final purchase decision; I've been busy at the dealers and if I had the time I would pull a MMarshall and give some reviews

The other dilemma: $100K or $200K??? LOTS of decisions/combos there...

Again, apologies if this was a "waste"... and if all falls through (in this world economy, could easily happen), I know what I'll do if I ever do win the lottery

Thx for reading
Old 09-08-10, 05:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well.... here's what i think. what is "perfect"? to me perfect is when you get something that fits your state of mind most at that particular period of time, and you get to enjoy it most while it lasts. that's perfect. but your perfect for sure won't be my perfect, so on so forth.

like you said, the x5m is your perfect choice now, and i completely respect that. it does do a lot. it's fast, it handles very well, it tows, it's safe, it has luxury, etc...

but at the same time, applying the x5m to me and i think it's one highly undesirable car. it's too big for me and heavy, some cars will out-handle it. to me, m3 is my perfect car now. small, nimble, fast, handles well, cool (convertible), etc...

but give me another 6 months, probably i won't think it's the perfect car for me anymore. with a baby the m3 would be useless. by then i will have another "list"

so i think my bottom line is to know your priorities and get what you can find best at the time. waiting won't help, best in all categories won't happen. in the end, it always comes down to compromise

just enjoy what you can get, and get it already russ!
Old 09-08-10, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
BMW 335is- surprising here, but I liked it over the M3 on the street.

Totally with you on this one. I've said that myself, in public, here on CAR CHAT, many times. If you are willing to chance some (possible) fuel-pump and electrical issues, this car is wonderful to drive on the street.....for clearly less money than an M3. The M3 wins on high-RPM HP, but the 335 (slightly) out-torques it at low/mid-RPM.

For WI winters, though, consider the 335 xi AWD version. That will, of course, place the price a little closer to the M3, but still, IMO, worth it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-08-10 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 06:44 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russ, have you considered buying more than one car?

You aren't going to find your answer in any one vehicle....ever. Comparing some of the cars you've listed, why not a Cayman and an X5 (maybe a 35d ) for close to the same price as a Cayenne Turbo or R8?

Or how about gently used? There are some incredible deals on 997 TT's right now. That and an SUV and you're completely covered for about $150K.

I looked at the X5M and love it with the carbon fiber trim, but it's still a 5000 lb pig that is relatively pointless. If I won the lottery, sure I'd consider one, but I'd rather have a "fun" car than SUV any day.
Old 09-08-10, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

You aren't going to find your answer in any one vehicle....ever.
Depends on what you are looking for. I found mine in the Outback...probably the most versatile all-around daily-driver I've ever seen. That's one reason they are so popular.

But I'm with you....if you can afford more than one car, and don't (or can't) find your answer in any one vehicle, go for it.
Old 09-08-10, 07:41 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Iunno man, from looking at your list, can you really afford 180k for a car? If it requires at least 50% down?

If you can then there is no wrong choice

Though I disagree on the towing thing, if you can afford to plop 100k+ on a car, how tough is it to plop down a 100 bucks per day for a rental towing vehicle for the once or twice a year you will probably be towing for?

Sporty and exotic all the way

Last edited by mikez; 09-08-10 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Nice post Russ. Funny I just saw Top Gears review of the X5 M tonight and Clarkson bashed the hell outta it. I mean he went off on it. SO don't watch.

I haven't driven it but on paper I can see how its a great all around vehicle. Good luck, I hope you get one!

I like it in the blue!

Old 09-08-10, 08:33 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I don't think there is such a thing as the "perfect" car.

It's like looking for the "perfect" tool in your garage. There is no perfect tool. Just the right one for the right job. You can't compare a hammer to a screwdriver to a tape measure...etc. Hell, you can't even have a "perfect" hammer. See where I'm going with this?

I'm glad you like the X5M, but it's way too much for me in size, weight, looks. That's the beauty of being an auto enthusiast. I love ALL freakin' cars. Big and small.

If you get the X5M, I'm pretty sure you're going to get an itch for wanting to drive something else down the road. I'm with the other posters. If you have a big budget, get a couple of different cars.

We all love lots of different tools in the garage.
Old 09-08-10, 10:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There will always be something that could be faster, could be cheaper, could be better built, could last longer, could be better modifiable, could be bigger, could be smaller, could be lighter, could be heaver, could haul more, etc.

Ergo, there is no such thing.
Old 09-08-10, 10:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

You aren't going to find your answer in any one vehicle....ever. Comparing some of the cars you've listed, why not a Cayman and an X5 (maybe a 35d ) for close to the same price as a Cayenne Turbo or R8?

Or how about gently used? There are some incredible deals on 997 TT's right now. That and an SUV and you're completely covered for about $150K.

Russ, consider his suggestions above. I agree, no such thing as a perfect car.

The price difference in your choices give you the flexibility.

btw - what happened to the GT500 that was on the list earlier?....
Old 09-08-10, 11:13 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

I agree with other - why not buy 2 cars if your budget is that high? But if only 1....then the X5M seems to make a whole lotta sense, you lucky bastard
Old 09-08-10, 11:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I looked at the X5M and love it with the carbon fiber trim, but it's still a 5000 lb pig that is relatively pointless. If I won the lottery, sure I'd consider one, but I'd rather have a "fun" car than SUV any day.
good idea, reading russ' posts, i always think having more than a car is probably a better idea. otherwise, honestly, it's more of a compromise than having something you (russ) truly like. and in that sense, you are not really enjoying anything to the most
Old 09-08-10, 11:23 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

It's funny how we all agree there is no such thing as the perfect car and how we should keep our options with have more than one.

I wonder if we can apply this approach to women?
Old 09-09-10, 04:05 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Thx guys, why I love CL sooooo much!!!

Every comment, dead-on (and about more than one woman, won't touch that ). Although that car HAS been decided- the Missus gets the ____, oops, you'll have to wait

One thing- the longer this takes, the longer I have to think and the more scenarios that play out. To the "Come on and get one Russ" comments, I wish it was over and I could. But rather than buy one now I want the whole package, and the Wolf was to set-up the next purchase. That has changed a bit. And I am trying to avoid 4 cars for two drivers (still have practicality). Money won't be an issue, but doesn't mean I plan to throw any away.

I'll agree with CDN, Mike, IS-SV and others (and yes, Shelby is right there, notice what in the lamp smoke on my sig and I mentioned one thing didn't change from 13 months ago ) on combos making best sense. As my good friend (and fellow fanatic) Joe, who trades cars like water (had a Panamera for 3 days- yes, he's very well-off) told me, "Russ, you'll never be happy with one". You guys know me on this as well, so thx for verifying the obvious, guess this all has numbed me!! And yes, also seriously considering pre-owned... and have an excellent source there. I also prefer same manufacturer for servicing considerations. And I'll tow more than twice a year. Always keep going back to combos.

Sooooooo... after a night of sleep, combos make most sense and as follows:

Shelby GT500/MKT Ecoboost- drove an MKT (beautiful inside) and was VERY impressed (had the Expedition here previously), Shelby still has a special place, best bang-for-buck by a mile

CTS-V/Escalade and Corvette GS/Tahoe- both don't have fold-flat 3rd row, both are GM

R8/Q7 TDI- very strong here, and most expensive

M3/X5 35d- again, although probably the perfect set-up (and my favorite car and SUV ever) still need the Sienna

Cayman S/Cayenne S- the perfect driver's scenario, still need Sienna

C63AMG/GL350 BlueTec- another strong case and solves much

Aston Vantage/Wolf- if the Sienna towed more than 3500 lbs, I'd live with it

IS-F/GX460- another strong case, IS-F revisions have popped this way up, but no IS-Fs around

My rankings:
Shelby combo- tech, reliability, fun, practicality, lighter towing only drawback unless Expedition and Shelby is, well, a Shelby, and now it handles too
Audi combo- cream of the crop, if I still lived in the south this wins going away
BMW combo- dream cars, 4th car and X's reliability only concerns

Wild Card
Lexus- can I get ahold of new IS-F and test the new suspension before deciding? NONE to be found...

I know that there is NO DOUBT the right choice will have been made when this is over.

There it is guys, wanna vote?? We can always set up a poll.

Thx again too for the feedback, much appreciated
Russ

Last edited by rdgdawg; 09-09-10 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-09-10, 06:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Last note- driving home, tired, watching cops pulling over speeders, dealing with traffic, thoughts also cross the mind: do you REALLY need a "sports car" ever????
exactly. i don't understand why you don't just get two vehicles?

with speed traps out there, i concluded getting a 'rocket' doesn't make sense for me, and isn't even that much fun because i can't use even half the capability, even though it's fun for a couple of seconds, but you get to 60-80 so fast and then it's over as they say, it's more fun driving a slower car fast than a fast car slow.

so if i were you i'd get a regular x5 (or rx450h) + and maybe a boxster s or z4 (new one looks GREAT!) and you'll have the best of both worlds. an x5m is amazingly capable, but nowhere near as much fun to drive as a LIGHT car.

[edit - now catching up with your later posts... ]

Quick Reply: Observations of a car fanatic- quest for the perfect car