Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2011 Honda Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 08:15 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Stephen Hawking designed this vehicle from subatomic matter and quantum mechanic theories of universal design, and he didn't thank God for the design.
Old 09-09-10, 08:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

At least it looks good with all the doors open. lol.

I actually liked the concept version somewhat. This production version is soo wierd. I also think the Sienna is kinda frumpy looking as well, but the SE trim really does it some good.
Old 09-09-10, 08:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wish they had given us a nicer looking wheel. A simple 5-spoke would suffice for a base model.

And LOL at Touring Elite name. Why not just call it the Touring model and have an 'Elite' package for those wanting more features. I hope I don't see a Touring Elite Plus on the next generation..
Old 09-09-10, 09:07 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

why on earth does this cost more than a Sienna....and with a 5 speed auto and ugly profile, its not going to sell. interior looks good though
Old 09-09-10, 09:47 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, I love it...in the sense that it's such a massive fail. Ugly, lame powertrain, FWD only, etc, etc.

I admit, after '97 (last year of the Previa), Honda has owned the minivan crown, IMO, but all that changes in 2011. 3rd gen Sienna FTW!
Old 09-09-10, 10:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wish they had given us a nicer looking wheel. A simple 5-spoke would suffice for a base model.

And LOL at Touring Elite name. Why not just call it the Touring model and have an 'Elite' package for those wanting more features. I hope I don't see a Touring Elite Plus on the next generation..
They are saving space for the "de Sade" package. ; )
Old 09-10-10, 01:00 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I actually like the new look. It's quirky, but works for me and I prefer it over the new Sienna. +1 on the transmission choices...people are going to notice the knock on fuel economy with the 5AT.

Once again, Honda and Toyota set the bar for these US-market vans.

JDM Previa/Estima and Odyssey still look better, but I tend to be biased towards JDM models.
Old 09-10-10, 06:59 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

These pics honestly don't look that bad then I first though but I still love my Mazda MPV 2001 minivan, I think it is the best looking minivan made.
Old 09-10-10, 04:24 PM
LexJaq
Rookie

Originally Posted by GFerg
At least it looks good with all the doors open. lol.
LOL, good catch!

Originally Posted by RXSF
with a 5 speed auto and ugly profile, its not going to sell.
At what point in the future would you like me to dig your post up, and show you that you're wrong? 6 months? A year?

What's the hang-up on the gear count, guys? Should it have a 7 speed transmission? 8? If so, why?
Old 09-10-10, 05:26 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexJaq

What's the hang-up on the gear count, guys? Should it have a 7 speed transmission? 8? If so, why?
It should have 6. Why?

1. It's keeping up with current technology.
2. All of its competitors do.
3. It will increase highway fuel mileage.
4. Faster accelleration.
Old 09-10-10, 05:59 PM
LexJaq
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS350jet
It should have 6. Why?

1. It's keeping up with current technology.
2. All of its competitors do.
3. It will increase highway fuel mileage.
4. Faster accelleration.
1. The number of gears has nothing to do with technology. The gear is just a machined piece of metal with cogs on it.
2. Meaningless. Unless a person only cares about bragging rights, or loves fluffy automobile marketing material.
3. Changing the final drive ratio will affect highway MPG. Adding or removing gears below that top top gear will not.
4. Up until a certain point, yes. But the law of diminishing returns absolutely applies here. There are other factors at play when choosing a gear count (like fatness of the engine torque curve, etc), but I would venture a guess that Honda probably figured out that there is little to no noticeable improvement to be made by adding another gear or two, and stayed with 5. Fewer shifts means less wear and tear on the transmission, less hunting for gears, and, well, less shifting.
Old 09-10-10, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
why on earth does this cost more than a Sienna....and with a 5 speed auto and ugly profile, its not going to sell. interior looks good though
The undersized 1Gen Odyssey (also produced as the Isuzu Oasis) was not terribly popular, but, since then, every-generation Odyssey has sold like hotcakes. I don't see why this one will be any diffrent, even with a somewhat awkward-looking beltline.
Old 09-10-10, 08:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexJaq
1. The number of gears has nothing to do with technology. The gear is just a machined piece of metal with cogs on it.
2. Meaningless. Unless a person only cares about bragging rights, or loves fluffy automobile marketing material.
3. Changing the final drive ratio will affect highway MPG. Adding or removing gears below that top top gear will not.
4. Up until a certain point, yes. But the law of diminishing returns absolutely applies here. There are other factors at play when choosing a gear count (like fatness of the engine torque curve, etc), but I would venture a guess that Honda probably figured out that there is little to no noticeable improvement to be made by adding another gear or two, and stayed with 5. Fewer shifts means less wear and tear on the transmission, less hunting for gears, and, well, less shifting.
Its meaningless to people stuck in the 1990s. There is no law of diminishing returns, it is proven that more gears helps your MPG which means this vehicle could get even better MPG.

Car companies with true technology know this and they even create 8 speeds with less weight and parts than 6 speeds.

I mean isn't it obvious the entire industry has moved to 6, 7, 8 speeds and CVTs and this is stuck with a 5 speed and finally gets a 6 speed.

Everyone has past Honda, they are a has been. Period.

Old 09-10-10, 10:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The number of gears help acceleration since you can keep the ratio closer in between shifts. But LexJaq is correct, the final gear ratio is what counts. When you're on the highway cruising in the final gear, 0.50 is 0.50 regardless of how many gears there are before that.

However I do rather see a 6 spd than a 5spd in the Odyssey. A set of shorter gear ratios could make better use of the rather old J35 engine.
Old 09-10-10, 10:45 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

based on internet comments, most people don't like the exterior.

the people who designed this van own 46 odysseys among themselves......... and this is the best shiet they could come up with ?..............

they must love the pontiac Aztek too.

They should have designed it like this....... much better looking and more cohesive, relatively....
VVVVV
Attached Thumbnails First Drive: 2011 Honda Odyssey-05odysseyfd2011.jpg  

Last edited by dunnojack; 09-10-10 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2011 Honda Odyssey