Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2011 Honda Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 12:04 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol ^^ you really like your photoshop.
Old 09-11-10, 01:40 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the question is..... how plain do you want it ?

consider the what-ifs...

or move the kink to the middle .......

or maybe make a saggy curve up belt line......

Old 09-11-10, 06:25 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

finally perfer the Sienna over Odyssey..
Old 09-11-10, 06:53 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
They should have designed it like this....... much better looking and more cohesive, relatively....
First Drive: 2011 Honda Odyssey-wagon.jpg
Now THAT is a *******' wagon!!!!
Old 09-11-10, 07:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
The number of gears help acceleration since you can keep the ratio closer in between shifts. But LexJaq is correct, the final gear ratio is what counts. When you're on the highway cruising in the final gear, 0.50 is 0.50 regardless of how many gears there are before that.

However I do rather see a 6 spd than a 5spd in the Odyssey. A set of shorter gear ratios could make better use of the rather old J35 engine.
Then companies would be cheap, make 3 speed autos with a great final drive ratio. Well Honda still does. Mind you this is the same company that gave the 2nd gen TL a 5 speed auto and the last 2 gears were overdrive gears (not to mention it was fragile as glass).

I hope their new 6 speed isn't a disaster like the one in the last Odyessy.

Old 09-11-10, 04:08 PM
LexJaq
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its meaningless to people stuck in the 1990s. There is no law of diminishing returns, it is proven that more gears helps your MPG which means this vehicle could get even better MPG.
No law of diminishing returns? Seriously? So I could drop a 20 speed transmission into my car, and it would get better highway MPG than the current 6 speed?

It's proven that more gears can potentially give you better MPG around town when your speed is not constant, when frequent gear shifts are required. But on the highway, all that matters is the final drive ratio. Apples to apples, you could drop a 2 speed transmission into the Oddy, and if the ratio of the top gear is the same as the 5 speed, they will get the same highway MPG.

Car companies with true technology know this and they even create 8 speeds with less weight and parts than 6 speeds.
This comment doesn't make much sense to me, because I'm not sure where you're going with it. They simplified the design to reduce the number of internal parts. And?

Is it your opinion that any car company that still puts 4 and 5 speed transmissions into their cars, is "stuck in the past", and doesn't make anything that you would consider "true technology"?

I hope their new 6 speed isn't a disaster like the one in the last Odyessy.
They had some issues with the Oddy transmission, but calling it a disaster is a bit much.
Old 09-11-10, 04:28 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not driving them, I'd guess the Sienna is a better vehicle but the Oddity is a better drive.

However they're both minivans on their way to school, safeway or bed bath beyond so nevermind
Old 09-11-10, 04:31 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Is it your opinion that any car company that still puts 4 and 5 speed transmissions into their cars, is "stuck in the past", and doesn't make anything that you would consider "true technology"?"

More gears are potentially better but IMO these 6 and 7 speed trannies have crappy programming so they hunt for gears and downshift abruptly. We have a 5speed and 7 speed sedan in the household and the 5speed is older but smoother all the way around
Old 09-11-10, 04:45 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexJaq
...but I would venture a guess that Honda probably figured out that there is little to no noticeable improvement to be made by adding another gear or two, and stayed with 5.
Honda was able to figure out what none of the other manufacturers could who have since moved on to 6-8 spd trannys? lol

Or is it because Honda will myopically try to squeeze every last cent out of outdated parts/assemblies before reluctantly stepping up to the plate with the other car companies, at which point their competition has already begun taking the next step again?

Honda's fall from grace is a sad thing indeed. Oh well, at least we now have the Korean twins to keep Toyota on its toes.
Old 09-11-10, 04:55 PM
LexJaq
Rookie

Originally Posted by replica
Or is it because Honda will myopically try to squeeze every last cent out of outdated parts/assemblies before reluctantly stepping up to the plate with the other car companies
Are the 6th, 7th and 8th gears in the 8 speed trannies somehow more technologically advanced than gears 1 through 5? I thought that they were just chunks of machined steel.

Last edited by LexJaq; 09-11-10 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 09-11-10, 06:39 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
or maybe make a saggy curve up belt line......

That one actually doesn't look half bad. What wonders are done by simply removing that freaken kink.
Old 09-11-10, 07:07 PM
RXSF

I think moving the kink to the middle is the best. lol
Old 09-11-10, 07:36 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking to get a minivan for my wife one year from now and will only consider the Sienna and Odyssey. At this point I'm leaning heavily toward the Honda. Has anyone actually sat in the Sienna? It has one of the cheapest looking and feeling interiors I've ever seen. Every single interior piece is hard plastic. The dashboard has a horrible layout that stretches buttons away from the driver. And the 2nd row's sliding seat tracks are fully exposed, meaning tons of dirt and stuff will ultimately get caught in there. Not to mention the Sienna's mast antenna from 1985 and non-independent rear suspension. I'm not saying the Honda is perfect, but I think it is better than the Sienna and I actually think it looks nicer. I wanted to like the Sienna but am having a hard time doing so. Basically they're both good in their own right and will both sell, it just comes down to personal preference.
Old 09-11-10, 08:49 PM
RXSF

^^ if you get higher than an LE model, the mast antennae is replaced by the FM diversity antennae in the rear window.
Old 09-11-10, 10:19 PM
LexFather

No law of diminishing returns? Seriously? So I could drop a 20 speed transmission into my car, and it would get better highway MPG than the current 6 speed?
Yes do you know why? Its b/c the way more advanced competition offers more HP, so the more gears allows them to have better MPG than if they used the same old trannies. Its why the IS-F with 416hp gets the same MPG as a 300hp RL. Honda may not use more gears b/c they don't offer much power. I guess that is why they feel 5 speeds is still fine. Behind on power, behind on transmissions.

It's proven that more gears can potentially give you better MPG around town when your speed is not constant, when frequent gear shifts are required. But on the highway, all that matters is the final drive ratio. Apples to apples, you could drop a 2 speed transmission into the Oddy, and if the ratio of the top gear is the same as the 5 speed, they will get the same highway MPG.
Most people are progressive and want to move forward in life, not stay still or go backwards. If you like staying still or going backwards, then Honda is for you. So is the Commadore 64, 8 track player and black and white T.Vs. I mean "its the law of diminishing returns" right

I believe most vans offer 6 speeds standard. Not sure why Honda feels its so "special" you have to spend 40 grand to get one. Maybe its "special" to them since they finally have one after everyone else.

This comment doesn't make much sense to me, because I'm not sure where you're going with it. They simplified the design to reduce the number of internal parts. And?

Is it your opinion that any car company that still puts 4 and 5 speed transmissions into their cars, is "stuck in the past", and doesn't make anything that you would consider "true technology"?

They had some issues with the Oddy transmission, but calling it a disaster is a bit much.
Tell owners that. The only companies still using 4 and 5 speed are companies way behind the curve. PERIOD.

The funny thing is i know the Odyessy on PAPER is a great van and the last one was arguably the best in class. So I know its a good van.

The new one is the usual disgustingly ugly design from them that I seriously have to question someone for buying one and do they need to see an eye doctor.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2011 Honda Odyssey