Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus do a 4 door coupe?
Yes
53.85%
No
20.51%
I hate this entire class of 4 doors called coupes.
25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Should Lexus jump into the cliche 4 door coupe not really a coupe segment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 01:36 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lexus should strongly consider the 2 door sedan.

4 door coupe
Old 09-09-10, 01:52 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

I considered the 3GS "coupe-like" and i am really hoping Lexus pushes the 4GS in that direction. The Panamera is beautiful, IMO. I was at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart this past weekend and drooled all over it. The A5 four-door not available in the US is also ridiculously good-looking.
Old 09-09-10, 01:58 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isnt every car lexus made a 4door coupe? aside from the sc witch is a 2door coupe.
Old 09-09-10, 02:05 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck
isnt every car lexus made a 4door coupe? aside from the sc witch is a 2door coupe.
"sedan" would be more accurate.
Old 09-09-10, 02:44 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

My opinion: If the upcoming SC is not "sexy" or "cool" enough, then they neeeed to bring it
(yes I know sc is a vert......)
Old 09-09-10, 06:23 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
In short....yes and no.

Lexus already has so many sedans - IS, HS, ES, GS, LS vs. Audi (A4,6,8), BMW (3,5,7) and Mercedes (C,E,S,CLS)- that I think adding a 6th could be a very bad move. I think the HS was a complete failure in judgement and I would like to see it eliminated from the lineup, but even without the HS, the ES creates a bit of a unique situation for Lexus. It's the size of a midsize car but priced like an entry level one, and I believe that this has already been a stumbling block for the GS (which I have also discussed at length, and won't bore you with).

Considering that, I think the best thing Lexus could do is try to move the 4GS towards a 4-door-coupe-ish demeanor as a way to differentiate it further from the ES. More dramatic styling and sexier lines would be a great start, and that's basically all these "4 Door Coupes" are anyway.

Axe the HS

IS - Entry Level Sporty

ES - Entry/Midsize Luxury

GS - Midsize sporty/4 door coupe-ish

LS - flagship

So...I guess I should have just said no and not bothered with all this typing
I could not have said it better myself.

Originally Posted by stick
I think Lexus should strongly consider the 2 door sedan.

4 door coupe
And I totally endorse this statement.
Old 09-09-10, 06:35 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Gotta agree with rominl on this one, they have so many other things to work on before they can even start worrying about the niche.

Most importantly, they have to start making the rest of the lineup look good before they can make a 4 door coupe. I can only imagine a Lexus 4 door coupe turning out really, really ugly after the HS and the CT, and a 4 door coupe is supposed to be nothing but pure style and coolness. Lexus just isn't at the right place and right design form yet.

To those saying the GS is a 4 door coupe already, it isn't. It's a sedan with really, really bad space usage. And it certainly can't be compared with the form over function beauty of the CLS.
Old 09-09-10, 08:06 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Before Lexus jump into this 4 door so-called coupe market, why don't they make a genuine 2 door hardtop coupe first. As far as I know, all of the companies who have the 4 door coupe already had 2 door coupe first. I really think Lexus have enough 4 door vehicles. In fact, if we only count the doors on the side of the Lexus vehicles, 8 out of 10 models have four doors, the only 2 exceptions are IS coupe(this isn't really a true coupe) and LF-A(this costs more than 3 LS600HLs), and SC is almost gone. And the upcoming CT also have 4 doors on the sides. So no no and no for the 4 door coupe.
Old 09-09-10, 08:15 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jetfire
i think they should do it. as long as it's not FUBAR like the Panamera.
If Lexus makes a new sedan that is HALF as good as the Panamera it will be a runaway hit.

The big question is IF.

A competitive coupe and a mid-size sedan are much more important, so imho, no...a 4 door coupe shouldn't even be a consideration at this point.
Old 09-09-10, 08:30 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

not sure how i feel about this segment...some look very nice, like the Rapide, and the BMW (from the way the concept looks), whereas i'm not a fan at all of the CLS or the rear of the A7.

Anyway, i think Lexus should make a 2-door coupe first (not a convertible, and not counting the LFA). I would love to see an IS coupe. If Lexus were to come out with a 4-door coupe before a genuine 2-door coupe, i'm gonna be pissed LOL
Old 09-10-10, 06:26 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I know not many auto enthusiasts (of any brand) are not fans of the design of the Panamera.

But personally, I don't mind Lexus doing a 4-door coupe. I'll leave the choice up to the company
Old 09-10-10, 08:14 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The segment exists already, and if porsche made a SUV and a sedan, that should tell u something about the importance of entering new segments. I know its relatively new, and im not sure how big of a segment it is but Lexus has been lagging on entering new segments, took them forever to introduce CT, and I have a good feeling they will another 10 years to introduce the 4 door coupe. The IS is a beautifully designed car, and thats a 4 door coupe, so that tells u they can do it well. The design language of Lexus imo is one of the best (along w merc) so id like to see what a 4 door large coupe. They need to base it off the LS and not the GS and make it one sexy ****. Think of a LFA meets LS sedan cocupe w and F version thrown into the mix. Id def rock that.
Old 09-10-10, 08:14 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cliff notes verions: Hells effing yeah
Old 09-10-10, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

reading a lot of the replies make me think. some of you say how the 2is and 3gs are so 4 door coupe as of now already (not agreeing or disagreeing), but i don't see anyone saying the same on 3, c, 5, or e. what does that say about the sedan segment of lexus? sounds to me that both the 2is and 3gs have gone with the slick and lost on the space, which is quite true (and not good for sedans)
Old 09-10-10, 09:12 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

we need more coupes first... The next SC better be bigger in size than the current model, or else it's gonna fail!

Quick Reply: Should Lexus jump into the cliche 4 door coupe not really a coupe segment?