Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A Kia I would rock - the K7!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 09:14 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nobody keeps their bmw's after 50k miles because they are simply scarry to own after the warranty expiration.

to say "luxury car buyers" don't own their cars for 10 years is a lame statement, I know of many people who have owned their luxury lexus for over 10 years.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I don't know why you keep quoting just the powertrain warranty.

The reality is most luxury car buyers have no intention of owning their cars for 10 years or putting an excessive amount of miles on them. Try checking out the CPO mileage at a BMW/MB/Audi dealership, you won't find used cars with high mileage. All of the Tier 1 brands also offer extended warranties and are willing to deal on them or included them in the package as a negotiating tool.
Old 09-10-10, 09:14 AM
LexFather

I give it to them, they nailed the proportions. This and the last gen TL look like RWD cars with very Euro proportions though they are 60/40 front heavy FWD cars. Great work by the designers. I will wait to see in person before giving final judgment.

Would I rock it? No. I flew past the Camry/Kia/Accord car buying stage nearly 15 years ago. I'm happy for those that will buy it but its just another pedestrian family/rental car to me.

Originally Posted by mikemareen
the reality of the matter is that it won't matter because of the kia 10 yr 100k mile warranty! any company that makes that kind of suggestion has to be made their cars somewhat bulletproof right ?
Can you please use the multi-quote button on the bottom left hand side. You are jacking up your post count in every single Kia/Hyundai thread with multiple posts in the same thread, many one right after the other. Thanks

Old 09-10-10, 09:15 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

so no matter what I say it will not happen, but no matter what you say then it will happen ? uh...ya ok whatever man.

You need to get off the Hyundai kool aid.

No matter what you say, Kia/Hyundai's brand perception will NOT change in a year.

As Hyundai continues to step up it's game, so will all of the true Tier 1 brands (ie. MB/BMW/Audi/Lexus).
Old 09-10-10, 09:32 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually don't suggest that Hyundai/Kia derives their designs from other cars but damn this is an LS460 rip off. Look at all the shapes and details. The only original part is the headlights. The tail lights are of course Audi, then again Acura uses the shape and Kia has already used it on the Forte.
Old 09-10-10, 09:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The K7 seems to be the new Kia Optima.

What they really need to do is bring back the Amati. It was a mistake, IMO, dropping it. It was one of the few upmarket/luxury-cars left on the market with a strong emphasis on ride comfort rather than handling........those cars, unfortunately, are a dying breed.
Old 09-10-10, 09:38 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

if your going to say it's a copy of something then PLEEZE at least pick a sedan that is at least close to it.

the ls460 sedan theme is completely different, it has a "double stack' high belt line look of which the cadenza k7 does not follow. it's a totally different theme. the rear, if anything copies the kia optima with the "double layer" look at the tail lights...but of course not right ? audi, lexus, bmw...none of them is doing the "double layer" tail lamp look so what is it a copy of ?

if anything it's more like a audi a8 in design but that makes sense because pete schreyer is of the former audi.

and besides, it's 26k with a 6 year bumper to bumper and 100k 10 year drive train. I really could care less what it copies because it just looks soo good.

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I usually don't suggest that Hyundai/Kia derives their designs from other cars but damn this is an LS460 rip off. Look at all the shapes and details. The only original part is the headlights. The tail lights are of course Audi, then again Acura uses the shape and Kia has already used it on the Forte.
Old 09-10-10, 09:41 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It's on sonata platform, and designed by former audi designer. This car is a homerun. Like most cars these days they'll all look alike. Difficult to make a car really different from another.

Kias are good cars, I've driven them many times because we have two kias in our family. I don't mind the hyundai/kia brand perception because it keeps their car prices in check so maybe I'll get 1 or 2 yr old one for cheap once my Z retires soon.

As for luxury car owners not keeping their cars for a long time is a true statement but that's because they made the cars unreliable and made repair cost ridiculously expensive. I wouldn't have bought our ML without extended warranty. On the other hand, there are many old mercedes owners who keep their benz's for decades because they were bullet proof back in the day.
Old 09-10-10, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
No. Accusations of copy-cats and "rip-offs" are redundant, and don't mean much anymore. Those days are gone...for a reason. Almost all vehicles today, with the possible exception of the Nissan Juke, copy somebody else, somewhere, sometime. There have been so many thousands of auto designs through the years that it is hard to come up with something truly original anymore.
Old 09-10-10, 10:28 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
whoa those tail/brake lights light up just like the audi's

Last edited by raptor22; 09-10-10 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-10-10, 02:39 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Anyone know which Hyundai this is based on? Pretty nice!
It is the Kia cousin to the next gen Azera (both situated on an extended type N platform); this is one of the cases where Kia came out w/ a model on a shared platform ahead of Hyundai; the Sorento being the other.

No matter what you say, Kia/Hyundai's brand perception will NOT change in a year.
No, but once Kia gets its entire new lineup out for a few years (Forte 5 door, Optima, Cadenza, Rio, etc.) it will likely be seen close to the public perception of Nissan.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The K7 seems to be the new Kia Optima.

What they really need to do is bring back the Amati. It was a mistake, IMO, dropping it. It was one of the few upmarket/luxury-cars left on the market with a strong emphasis on ride comfort rather than handling........those cars, unfortunately, are a dying breed.
The K7 is the Amati replacement (the Optima is a diff. model.), tho technically, the upcoming K9 is the Amati's successor at the top of Kia's lineup.

As for the K7, the KDM version has a ride more suited to the taste of Koreans; hopefully, the USDM version will get tauter handling, esp. the SX trim.
Old 09-10-10, 03:50 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

That thing looks good. Very Audi like indeed.
Old 09-10-10, 03:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Welcome to Club Kia. Nicely styled with Lexus influence (and some Audi, Mercedes too).
Old 09-10-10, 04:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Lets come back to this thread 5 -10 years from now and we will see.

pretty ignorant thing to say today

you're still living in 1998.

toyotas get pretty beat up in 5-10 years just the same. fit and finish is nothing to brag about

I still wouldn't drive a kia though. not in the next 10 years at least. unless i'm broke
Old 09-10-10, 05:53 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raptor22
whoa those tail/brake lights light up just like the audi's
Again, because the guy who designed this car used to design Audis...

You need to get off the Hyundai kool aid.

No matter what YOU say, the fact of the matter is that Hyundai's brand perception HAS ALREADY changed in a year.
Old 09-10-10, 07:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Pretty decent effort IMO

Quick Reply: A Kia I would rock - the K7!